Schooner Way, Atlantic Wharf, Cardiff, Southern Wales, CF10 4RT, United Kingdom

Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Hanover now called 'Novotel'

the hotel is split into two parts which consists of and old part and a very modern part. the modern part is immaculate, lovely and relaxing - unfortunately our £110 a night room was in the old part. the room was sufficient but not a four star quality room - a travel lodge room would have been much bigger.

the location is only 10minutes walk from the central shopping area and brewery quarter.
    on the whole its a decent hotel and they are planning to renovate a lot more rooms before september 2005 so it should end up being a very nice place to stay as the staff were all very helpful and curtious.

the buffett breakfast was excellent but not worth £11!

Unique Quality: pool, sauna, steam room, hot tub, gym, vertical sunbeds, beauty appointments from hair to nails to waxing to massages and wraps.
    2bars and a restaurant. conference and meeting rooms
    free taxi phone
    cash machine
    free tickets to cardiff castle (look on the cistern of your toilet for these!!! - dont know why they put them there!)

Directions: follow signs for atlantic wharf or hanover international

• YPie's Profile Photo

Niggling problems

I stayed at the Hanover International during a very busy weekend in Cardiff (a capacity 74000 crowd at the Millennium Stadium). I booked my room a year in advance through an agency who didn't require payment upfront. I was a bit nervous about this because I knew how difficult it would be to get another room if something went wrong so I kept phoning the hotel to see whether my booking was OK. Time and time again they told me that they didn't have a booking on their system but that it would be OK because they didn't always get the agency bookings until close to the date of travel. I accepted this, and hoped.

On getting to the hotel at 9.30pm on a busy Friday night, guess what, they didn't have my reservation. I don't know whether it was the hotel's fault or the agency's fault, but I've since booked other hotels through that agency with no problems and I've heard stories from friends who've stayed there in the past who have had similar problems.

To be fair, the hotel did their best and managed to find a double room. Because we'd booked a twin they scraped around and found a camp bed so I got to spend the weekend on a low, narrow bed. Not ideal and certainly not what we'd booked, but better than a weekend on a park bench I suppose. I do worry what would have happened had we turned up an hour or so later though as it was quite literally the last room in the hotel.

To be nice about it, the hotel itself was nice, good facilities and a good breakfast buffet. The location isn't as good as other Cardiff hotel's I've stayed in, it's not right in the city centre and it's not properly in Cardiff Bay, but it's close enough to the city centre to walk with no problems and it's probably a bit quieter.

Just make sure you get your booking confirmed properly and don't take any excuses from them!

• timlloydlangston's Profile Photo

Warehouse hotel

I'd recommend the Hanover to anyone - it's modern clean and efficient whilst still having a certain atmosphere of style. My stay was very pleasant with the staff always helpful.

Unique Quality: The hotel lies between the city centre and the newly renovated docks area, offering the best of both worlds. The cutting edge design extends from the sail-like roof above the reception area (see picture) to the rooms themselves. It’s difficult to believe that only a short while ago this was a derelict former bonded wharehouse.

More about Novotel Cardiff Centre

An awful hotel.....

by TripAdvisor Member Albanwr

We just returned after a One Night Stay in the Novotel Cardiff.
This cost us £120 for the night, for 2 Adults and a 3 Year Old Child.
The accomodation was nice the rooms were large and airy, althought the way our room was designed we only had half a window.
We decided to order room service that night, due to the fact that our daughter was tired, for us it's easier to stay in the room than to eat out. We found the room service menu ( which looked wonderful ), and ordered Fish and Chips, Seafood Paella and an Italian Platter. The images showed fresh vibrant food, the italian platter was supposed to have Melon (selection), Olives (selection), Italian Breads (selection) and parma ham and salami. The meal arrived an looked nothing like the images. The first two meals were inedible the fish was raw, the italian platter was a joke. We had several pieces of white sliced bread, some cocktail olives, diced watermelon and what looked like ( ordinary sandwich ) ham and turkey? I took the meal down the the restaraunt ( the person who took it up refused to take it back ), the Matre 'd refused to acknowledge an issue...
Eventually a receptionist ( she was really nice ), refunded me the cost of the meal.
It was a nightmare. I asked to speak to the manager in the morning, I was told he was unavailable.

A shocking example of customer care, I vow never to go here again.....

Off the Tourist Track, but Quite and Very Accommodating!

by TripAdvisor Member CalifBeachBum

We stayed at the Novotel Cardiff CC for a few days in early August, 2006 and were pleasantly surprised by the accommodations. The first day, we arrived a bit late (about 7:30 PM) by car and though the property is a bit off the tourist track, once we found it, we were happy to also find ample free parking.

Though we were a bit late, they had held an upgraded (complimentary) room for us. It was spacious and spotless including oversize (for Europe) bathroom with granite counters and a large separate bathtub.

The view was a bit limited (peak ocean with offices, apartments and the industrial area surrounding the wharf). The area is relatively quite (we left the windows open at night) and seemed safe. We returned late every evening and always found a place to park.

We thought the included breakfast was one of the best we experienced among the four other hotels we stayed at throughout England & Wales. The restaurant was in a beautifully remodeled, air conditioned, industrial building with 40 ft ceilings and exposed brick walls. The host brought us to our table, which had tablecloths and linen napkins. We were offered water and coffee just after being seated. The buffet included a variety of hot (traditional English breakfast) and cold offerings including fresh fruits and juices. Hot toast and jam/marmalade were served tableside as was the coffee. There was also a nice assortment of teas at each table.

We did not have dinner or room service during our stay. We were out every day and loved the wharf area, dining there most evenings. Also tried the Custom House one night and found it to be fantastic.

perfect!

by TripAdvisor Member snorkles

I recently spent one night in this hotel with my partner when we went to watch the world championship boxing at the millenium stadium (roughly a 20 mintute walk away).

On arrival we parked up on the small hotel carpark that actually had many spaces, renovations are currently happening but we heard no noise or disruption. We got the deal with lastminute for £90 exclu breakfast, that is available at £11pp. Perfect location with a 5 minute walk into the centre of shopping and bars. Our room was designed for clients with disabilties therefore the room and bathroom was very spacious. Room was very clean, kingsize bed with duvet, excellent powershower and bath. Tea/coffee facilites and optional mini bar. No complaints about the hotel or staff however on checking out i was almost charged £22 for breakfasts they had automatically added, it took me 3 attempts telling the various staff we had not had any food!Many of the staff are european so kept hitting a language barrier!

Overall fantastic trip, dont bother with the overpriced buffet breakfast, we took the 5 minute walk to lloyds and got a full english breakfast for £1.99!Bargain!

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member corsie

Stayed at the Novotel for 1 night at a cost of £75 room only which was pretty good value for a 4 star property. Great location for walking to the city centre. Very friendly staff who arranged a taxi to the airport for 5am! (cost £23). The bar/restaurant building work is now complete. Swimming pool looked great though no time to try it out. There are also places to eat/drink in the bay area (The Wharf) which are closer than walking to town. Overall very happy with room and services and would choose to stay here again.

To say disappointing is an understatement!

by TripAdvisor Member LadyMorgana

We stayed one night at the hotel for the Madonna concert on July 30. We paid an inflated rate of £155 for the night - usually you can get rates as low as £40. The hotel is relatively new but already feels run down - one lift was broken and we were given the wrong room on arrival - we booked superior but were given a bland, featureless room with hospital style decor and wipe clean furniture. It felt like an institution! We moved rooms and the new room was no better - overlooking a weed infested car park and derelict industrial sites. The location is very poor - in a bit of a no-man's land...too far from the city centre and too far from the Cardiff Bay development around the Wales Millemmiun Centre. All in all a very disappointing, over priced, underwhelming and "wipe clean" experience. Do ANYTHING to stay somewhere better than this.

Disappointing Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member BASS174

M family and I stayed at the hotel on 13th August 2006 after having attended the Community Shield football game between Liverpool and some team in blue!
We arrived early, to be told that we would be unable to check in until 2pm. Bearing in mind that the match was due to kick off at 3pm this was highly unsatisfactory and most inconvenient to say the least.. A large number of other fans found themselves in the same position.
It is clear that the hotel is in need of a good clean and a general sprucing up, the place just felt a bit tired

Although one ofthe receptionists tried to help, we were unable to check in until our return from the game.
We were then told the hotel restaurant was closed and food could only be taken in the not so clean bar area-to later find upon our return from the city centre that the restaurant was indeed open!!

The hotel is a little far out from the city centre- about a 15 minute walk..
The breakfast was average at best-the fried eggs could be bounced off the walls, bottles of water were not replenished and when we asked for milk to accompany our tea we were given a jug from a recently vacated table and this seeend to be the normal practice!

Also, the hotel tried to charge us £60 more than the tariff which had been agreed upon reservation so be aware! It seems that the attention to detail required of a 4 star hotel is sadly lacking.

First Impressions Count...

by TripAdvisor Member mattyracer

Booked Hotel through Expedia which was fine - taking my wife to the Take That Concert back in June 2006 - so upgraded to the Premier Room.

There was building work happening, which was relatively well contained, I'm sure this has now been completed.

Arrived at Check-in to be told we'd already checked in - which I can confirm was not the case. Told to sit in reception for 10 minutes whilst three other groups of guests were checked in.

Then got room key - to a Smoking Room on 4th Floor. Now I'm not generally fussy but this was a SMOKING room - so I went back down to reception to change rooms - we'd booked non-smoking anyway!

Chap at reception pulled out our guest card saw that the room number had already been changed once (no doubt by our mirrors in another dimension from when we first checked in), promptly rolled his eyes and looked on his computer screen for a new room.

To his credit he came up and gave us a hand with bags etc to move to the new room. Showed us across to new room above restaurant - and left saying "Now I've given you a free upgrade to the Premier Room". By this stage I couldn't be bothered to say any thing.

Good points
It is walking distance to Millenium Stadium
Premier Room was well appointed and bed was a good size

Next time we'll book earlier and find somewhere else.

Comments