Greyfriars Rd, Cardiff, CF10 3AL, gb

Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• PrincessMonja's Profile Photo

Comfy bed! (v important!)

I stayed here as my husband was on a business trip (which Is why I don't know the room rate - sorry!)

The hotel is very central, close to all the main shops and near the castle.

The hotel uses the NCP car park opposite (reduced rate for guests), so parking is not too much of an issue.

I found all the staff very helpful, especially as my husband settled the bill first think in the morning and they had no problem with me staying in the room until checkout (midday) and they were then happy to look after my luggage until the evening.

Unique Quality: Good sized clean room.

Very comfortable bed. (I slept like a log!)

Good wardrobe space.

Excellant shower.

Tea/coffee making facilities (with good biscuits!)

Wifi.

Also has a pool and spa - which I hope to sample on my next visit...!

Directions: Parallell to Queen Street and the main shopping area.

More about Park Plaza Cardiff

Superb Hotel with an excellent location

by TripAdvisor Member thumpaman

My wife and I stayed at The Park Plaza and found this hotel to be suberb on every aspect.
Location - within walking distance of city centre pubs restaurants main shopping area, Castle, Millenium Centre Arena.
The Hotel was impressive visually and a joy to have stayed, the restaurant delivered quality food even under pressure and the
pool and fitness suite were ideal.
Although I do not have any negatives views which is unusual for me some clientel might find the main road facing rooms a little noisey although with the triple glazing in place every precaution has been taken.
I will definately return on my next visit to Cardiff.

Very pleasant stay

by TripAdvisor Member fancybits

We were in Cardiff for the Madonna concert (Sun 30th July) and got the last room in the city but decided to make a week-end of it even though we had to pay top price (£180 per night).

We had stayed in a Park Plaza before (Leeds) so knew what to expect style-wise, but were pleasantly surprised with the service.
It's a lovely hotel and we enjoyed the experience. They have a very nice swimming pool with jakuzzi and steam room - immaculate - quiet and relaxing. And I treated myself to a treatment in the spa.

The room was fine but the bed and bedding were just heavenly.

The breakfast was really good. Although the hotel was full (and they extended the breakfast on Monday morning until 10.30) they were constantly checking and replenishing the selections - fresh fried eggs! - and a lovely choice of fresh fruits, delicious strawberries, figs, etc.

Someone there must have read the earlier reviews because the minibar can now be opened as usual and they have lots of information in the rooms now. They even printed out maps for each of us showing the hotel position and the Millenium Stadium, and also put on food for the concert-goers at 11.30 p.m.!

We were 2 hours early for check-in but got our room immediately.

While my husband checked out, a member of staff approached me to see if we had enjoyed our stay.

Location: Perfect! Within walking distance of everything!

A wonderful stay in this fantastic hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Ventrood

My partner and I booked a 1 night via Hotel after being told by both the Expedia and the Park Plaza website that they were fully booked. We were staying in Cardiff for the night as we had tickets to see Madonna at the Millennium stadium on the Sunday and wished to make a weekend of it.

We had a superior King size room which included a full Welsh breakfast (not sure what the difference between an English and Welsh breakfast is).

Having stayed in many 4 and 5 star hotels before I found the room to be fantastic and exceeded my expectations, it had an amazingly comfy bed that I was sorry to leave. The bathroom was a good size with modern fixtures and fittings, with a very large bath with shower over. Both the room and the Bathroom where spotless. Cleanliness is very important to me but I could not fault the room as it looked as if we were the first people to stay in it.

Due to the concert the hotel we fully book the night we stay so shortly after arrival we went down to the restaurant to book our evening meal. The restaurant was almost fully book but they managed to squeeze us in.

The where a great number of restaurant staff that were all attentive and polite. There was a good choice on the menu and the food was excellent and extremely good value for money £80 for the two of us including a bottle of wine. I would thoroughly recommend it weather you decide to stay at the hotel or not.

We carried on our evening at hotel bar and did not want to leave the hotel. But thought we should explore the Cardiff nightlife. (But next time we shall remain in the hotel)

In the morning we went down to the hotels swimming pool and spa. This again was faultless. With a steam room, sauna and Jacuzzi.

The hotel was busy when we stayed due to the concert but the hotel was fully prepared and I would highly recommend it to anyone with an event at the stadium. The hotel is in a good location just 2 mins walk to the shops and bars, and about 15 mins walk from the Millennium stadium.

One annoying aspect I thought was the parking. You had to park your car in the NCP car park directly opposite the hotel. The hotel had organize a special rate of £10 for 24 hour which they added to my bill and credited my parking ticket. However when I returned to the car park after the concert even thought I had gone over the 24 hours the car park charged me over £20. If I had not been in a rush to beat the traffic leaving the concert Im sure the hotel would have sorted this out for me but at the time I paid it and left.

I work as a hotel designer and continually find faults in most hotels. But this one astounded me the design was a perfect blend of modern without being too minimalist and still retaining a cozy feel.

If I was in Cardiff again I would most defiantly stay at the Park Plaza. I can't praise this Hotel high enough and have taken away many good memories.

Modern hotel in an excellent location

by TripAdvisor Member Aderyn

Stayed at the Park Plaza one night (Saturday). Good clean hotel, modern decor.

Had a double room on the second floor. Room was an excellent size. Queen sized bed was comfy and the room had all the facilities you need - tea & coffee; mini bar; hairdryer; iron & ironing board; safe; TV. Bathroom was a good size with shower over bath. Room & bathroom clean. My only minor criticism was that our room faced some bars & clubs so it was a bit noisy at 3.30 a.m. Not unexpected though for a city centre, only lasted a short while and hotel has done all it can to block out the noise by installing secondary glazing. Wouldn't put me off staying at this hotel again.

Breakfast - buffet style with good choice of hot or cold food. Staff were friendly and efficient.

Location wise - Excellent. Within walking distance of main shopping area and many bars & restaurants.

Checkin/out - very efficient.

I would definately stay at this hotel again

Great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Donkie

We stayed in this hotel in August and really enjoyed it. We had a standard double room but it was very spacious and had a nice interior and also the bathroom was beautiful. A great location (close to the Centre) and the carpark close by (opposite of the hotel).
Some negative notes: we were put in a smoking room while we clearly booked a non smoking room. When paying our bill we were charged an incorrect room rate (almost twice the price I got when I made the reservation. But both issues were solved immediately when we complained.
We were not crazy about the restaurant. We found the food (even a simple steak) tasteless and definitly not worth the money. Either they buy louse products or they have a lousy chef.
The rest of the hotel is great however, they really deserve a better restaurant.

Too modern and noisy rooms

by TripAdvisor Member ukleder

The location of the Park Plaza is very good right next to the New Theatre and within five minutes walking distance to the main shopping Street, Queen Street.

The hotel lobby is cozy with mini wood burning fires going and cozy couches.

The reception is helpful and knowledgeable and friendly.

We had a room on the first floor which was very noisy. We heard doors opening and closing, TVs in other rooms, room service, etc. We literally got no sleep because of the noise and the fact that the beds and pillows are not very comfortable.

The room has very high ceilings but was small and we didn't like the set up. The TV is difficult to turn on and the shower has no door or curtain.

The only toiletries provided were shampoo, shower/bath gel, a shower cap, and one bar of soap.

There is a large desk with a pad and pen and there is plenty of wardrobe and drawer space. The lighting isn't great in the room or bathroom and there was no fan or window in the bathroom.

The breakfast was typical of any British menu with a choice of cooked foods or continental.

We prefer the Hilton because it is much more comfortable and probably wouldn't stay at the Park Plaza again.

The one thing we did like was the gym. It has a large variety of equipment (both weights and cardio) and they have beauty treatments available as well.....in addition to free apples!

relaxing luxury in the city

by TripAdvisor Member am72

I stayed here becuase I had friends visiting Cardiff for my hen night. As soon as we walked in to the lobby on Saturday afternoon I felt instantly calmer! The colours and space are very soothing. On Sunday we spent several hours on the very large sofas in the lobby just watching the world go by. I have never felt so relaxed in a hotel.
The rooms were lovely and my friend has given the gym a rave review- nice and shiny and new.
The staff were helpful. When we asked for ice to be sent to the room a champagne ice bucket arrived larg enough to take 2 bottles. Just what we needed.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the city.

Great Value For Money

by TripAdvisor Member Decker

My last stay in Cardiff was at the Hilton (for whom I am a Diamond member) and I was so disappointed at the lack of loyalty recognition that I looked around for somewhere else to stay. American Express found me the Park Plaza which is just down the road from the Hilton.

Initial impressions were that the check in was friendly but that the lobby itself was claustrophobic, about three times deeper than wide. However there was comfortable seating and as has been mentioned elsewhere, flaming fires. No disguising that this used to be offices!

My room was clean and comfortable and had the "Shower room" - no separate cubicle, just a curtain. The toiletries were "Spa" own brand and seemed pleasant enough although I am no fan of Conditioning Shampoos. The bed looked modern and was comfortable. The TV seemed to have a range of channels (but I never actually turned it on) and best of all FREE wireless internet.

What made the hotel for me was the restaurant and the Spa. The restaurant was again a little severe in aspect but the food was superb. I ate there on two nights and was not disappointed. On the first night (a Sunday) I asked the waiter when the mussels had been delivered and he replied "Saturday". They were some of the freshest tasting mussels I have had in a long time. The Scallop/Black Pudding/Monkfish brochette was beautifully prepared and very tasty. The meal on the second evening was as good as if not better. The kitchen is open to the restaurant and it was nice to see a proper team working in there. Service was attentive and for the price the restaurant could not be faulted.

Breakfast was served in the restaurant and was all that you could wish from a buffet breakfast - hot and cold food.

The Spa has a very well equipped Gym and my favourite - a 20m stainless steel non chlorinated pool. At 06:30 I was the only one in there doing my lengths. It also has a steam room, jacuzzi etc.

All in all I probably paid half what I would have paid at the Hilton but with friendlier service and some nice touches. If they had a decent loyalty program (they're currently GoldPoints) I'd consider staying there more often!

Exactly what you'd expect

by TripAdvisor Member Glaws

This hotel is exactly what you would expect from a city centre business hotel. The facilites are good, the hotel clean,service excellent and the quality of the brekfast good.

It des however lack character- but if the above is what you're after then that shouldn't be a problem.

It's right in the city centre so excellent for location and car parking is in the over the road NCP at #10 per day.

Definitely would return