Royal Hotel Cardiff

10 St Mary Street, Cardiff, Cardiff, Southern Wales, CF10 5DW, United Kingdom

Good For No Data
  • Maidstoneman's Profile Photo

stylish boutique hotel

Lovely designer hotel in the city centre, three minutes walk from the station and five minutes from the castle.

Unique Quality: The hotel is on the upper floors of a commercial block so has no ground floor reception - but once upstairs it is a very simple but well designed hotel.

More about Royal Hotel Cardiff

An Interesting and different hotel

by TripAdvisor Member cleddy

We booked our room on Laterooms for a one night stay (14/9/06)and got a good deal - £80 for a larger room with a 6ft bed.
Reception is slightly harder to find than your usual hotel but you don't have to be a rocket scientist to read the signs. For entry to the building you have to use an intercom to talk to the reception. Above average security!
Staff were very friendly, smart, courteous and efficient. Within a couple of minutes we were in our room.
We had quite a surprise when we opened the door as the largeish room had a wooden floor with no carpet or rugs. Something we are not used to. The room was very clean and tastefully furnished, with plenty of cupboard and drawer space. There was even a writing desk. One small gripe - making tea and coffee in the wardrobe!
Windows were triple glazed to keep ouy the noise of the city and out of one window over the rooftops we had a view of Cardiff Bay with The Bristol Channel and the two islands -Flatholm & Steepholm in the distance. Through the other window we had a view of Brains Brewery which for me was heaven!
The bed and bedding was out of this world!!! Too comfortable for words. I sleep badly away from home but woke refreshed after a good nights quiet sleep.
Having read other reviews about the breakfast scramble we were delightfully relieved to find no such thing, Breakfast was unhurried with plenty of room to sit and eat. Continental breakfast is not my favourite start to the day but there was plenty of everything and it was all fresh. Again staff were friendly and helpful.

All in all a really nice clean friendly hotel and would definately stay there aagin.

Great Hotel But Get Good Directions

by TripAdvisor Member blackcornish1964

I recently stayed at this hotel whilst visiting my son at University. I booked their special Sunday night rate of £50. I did stuggle to find the place as it was late and dark, parking is a bit of a struggle, but once I had found the place and checked in I was very pleased. The lady on reception was very helpful and the room was fabulous. I was late for breakfast but there was no fuss and a lovely girl in the breakfast room brought me toast and coffee, no problems at all. All in all I highly recommend it.

The ultimate curate's egg

by TripAdvisor Member waterloosunset

This is a strange hotel. The decor is lovely, the rooms comfortable and the staff are really friendly and very efficient, but where it falls down is the entry system and the very poor selection available for breakfast.
As previous reviewers have said entry here is by a buzzer system and then after this you have to go up in a lift to reception. One of the nights were were staying there a female wheelchair user was trying to gain entry and the lift was broken. This meant she could not get into the hotel as there was no alternative disabled access. She had to wait until the lift was fixed. The alternative of using the stairs may not be suitable for even "able bodied" guests as these are very steep fire escape style stairs of which there are four flights of them.
Breakfast has a small selection of cereals and pastries. It seemed a bit of a hit and miss and nothing really looked that appetising, I used room service twice and found this to be very good and very reasonably priced. As I previously said, all the staff were efficient, friendly and welcoming and they would make me return to the city.
The whole door entry system + lift was the main off putting thing (although I know it's there for security) and the street is closed to traffic at night due to "revellers" in the pubs, so be careful when getting dropped off in taxis.
It's clean, it's modern, it's friendly and provided the lift works it's welcoming, but given from these reviews how often the lifts fail, if you are not 100% fit, this might be something you need to consider.

Loved the hotel,will definately stay again

by TripAdvisor Member CardiffBubbles

Me and my boyfriend stayed at the hotel for valentines weekend, we booked a standard room at a special rate of £199 which also included a 3 course dinner which was very nice, a box of belgium chocolates and a bottle of rose cava. The room was big enough, i was expecting a tiny room after reading other reviews, we stayed in room 304. The bed was AMAZING!!!! the sheets were pure luxury, i warn you...you will not want to leave your bed. There was a fairly big flat screen tv which had your normal channels, Hits, Sky news and a couple others, the picture was clear. The dvd player didn't work but as soon as we told reception they changed it straight away. The decor was very nice, lots of big mirrors which came in handy for getting ready. The bathroom was nice and spacious and came with lovely soft towels.
We arrived late on the friday night so just ordered room service, we didn't have to wait long. There are hot meals available up untill 10pm, after then, panini's and sandwiches are only available. Reasonable prices. I enjoyed the breakfast, there were lots of cereals to choose from, pain au chocolate, croissants and bread. There were also yoghurts and fruit available too aswell as orange, apple, grapefruit and cranberry juice. The bar was quite lifeless, some tables and sofas in there, quite nice though just for a quiet drink. Staff were all very friendly. Overall it was a very enjoyable stay, would definately stay again!

Swing low! A nice stay at the Royal.

by TripAdvisor Member Garuthal

We booked a double room on Sunday 18th March 2007 as part of our weekend in Cardiff for Wales v England rugby match in the 6 Nations.
Our room was £50 which i believe is the hotels Sunday night rate.The hotel has a clean minimalist feel to it which is nice but lacking in character.
The room no. was 507 which was absolutley massive! It had two single beds joined together which created a super king size bed,an LCD TV,DVD player,bathroom with large bath and shower.Nice touches in the room were the massive pillows on the bed,a cafetiere with fresh coffee,speciality teas and bath and shower products.The room we were in had 3 small windows and it was very quiet. The heating in the room was easy to control and actually worked!
The breakfast at the hotel was average continental fare including fresh meats and packeted cheeses,along with cerials,juices and toast etc. A cooked breakfast could be ordered at an extra cost.
The hotel has a briliant location and is approx 200meters from The Millenium stadium,2 minutes walk to train station and is a 1 minute walk to loads of bars including the Yard,Oneills and The Prince of Wales. If you realy want a cooked breakfast its £3.50 for a superb farnhouse breakfast at The Prince of Wales across the road and the Yard also does good value food. We parked at the NCP carpark close to the Millenium stadium approx 100meters walk to the hotel and it cost the £9 for 24hrs(the hotels discount rate,its normally £13ish)
Overall our room was clean and spacious(as well as very quiet) and our stay was relaxing. I think the room and facilities were very good value for our £50 and i would stay there again but i would be reluctant to pay anything over £70 a night for it. The staff were polite and well turned out.

Comments