Bute Terrace, Cardiff, Southern Wales, CF10 2FE, United Kingdom

Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 17% lower than similarly priced 2 star hotels

• Disgusting!

This has to be the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

Dirty hotel with unhelpful and might I add racist staff.

Having checked into the hotel, on my own, i was met with a dirty ground floor. One of the lifts was out of order and was blocked with dirty laundry stacked up against it. Which is not only unclean but also a fire hazard. I checked into my room, which had filthy furry curtains, drink making facilities but with no kettle and paper thin walls.

As I was meeting my partner after he finished work i decided to wait in the ''bar''. A quiet, sorry excuse for a bar. I waited to be served for a full ten minutes, in clear view of the reception, before eventually asking the member of staff who worked there to serve me.

When my partner arrived I went outside for a cigarette. Upon walking back inside we were told that the hotel were going to call the police on my partner as they believed he had been smoking drugs within the hotel. We were not alone whilst smoking the smoking area but my partner (the only person who hadn't been smoking a cigarette at the time) was the one to be pulled aside. They told us that we would have the police come and check our room and bags. We were outraged and said the police were welcome as we had nothing to hide.

It was clear that the hotel had made a snap decision upon seeing my partner for the first time and had decided that he seemed the likely suspect. They failed to listen to another resident who also said that we had only been smoking cigarettes, and they also failed to put any blame on him.

Security waited for us to extinguish the cigarette before confronting us, so even though I had the packet in my hand I had no proof.

Upon check out i complained to the manager, who seemed disinterested. Offered no compensation and failed to apolgize! We were treated like second class citizens.

I seriously suggest that no one stays in this hotel. I dont have a good word to say about it, and quite frankly next time i visit i would rather stay on the streets!

Unique Quality: Everything was awful.

• Worst dirty place ever....

I was in this hotel just for few hours to get some sleep but it could not happen.
    The hotel is office blocks turned into hotels, without windows (no fresh air and moro opportunity for the bugs/animals to reproduce in the rooms).
    The air refreshing system is not working and is getting air from the next rooms and if you have people smoking around the hotel or in some other room, you will get smell of smoke in your room.

The rooms are made with paper walls and you can hear anything going on in the whole corridor.

I arrived at midnight, I went upstairs and the room was ok. When I was trying to get some sleep on the bed I started to be very very itchy everywhere on my body (I don't have any kind of allergy) and I had a bite from some animals on the top part of my belly.
    At 3 am so much noise coming from the corridor and many rooms having a party, I called the reception, the manager told me that was gonna come and check but nothing happen....noise until 5 am. We could not sleep also because started to come in the room a terrible smell of smoke from the air conditionig/fan system.

When I checked out I made aware the manager about the issues and he gave me the business card of the Operation Manager and when I called him, he was not aware about anything.

The O,Manager had the pest control to inspect the room but was not worried about the price that was paid and the fact that I couldn't sleep. And he also told me that I never called down to the reception during the night.
    However a free night was offered but I would never come back and stay there...I would rather sleep on the street. No compensation offered for this terrible night but I believe that is very important to share my experience.... so if you see on the website this nice and clean rooms, with condenast credits bla bla bla..... don't even think about booking it!!!

Unique Quality: no fresh air, dirty bed

Directions: city center

• jhorsfield30's Profile Photo

Comfy rooms with good location

This is my second stay here, for 1 night in a standard double room, as usual cracking views from the room, and being in a corner of the building, quite spacious.
    I had a great deal with laterooms.com,, grabbing a £65.00 double for £40.00,, BEWARE!! This hotel will up the prices on events and weekends.. Always check in advance with booking sites if possible.
    Otherwise, pleasant an attentive staff, great selection at breaki,
    I did notice a few areas of the room not being cleaned, bath, shower, toilet, the bed was clean, but the little issues add-up, if you see this, mention it to reception, hopefully this will stop before becoming hygiene issue.

Unique Quality: Great location, nice price through booking service, amazing views, full spread breaki.

Directions: From train station(6 mins walk), exit, turn right, go straight past sleeperz, cross over road, past open university building, keep going straight, past john lewis on left, and the building show be in front of you, with word big sleep,

• jhorsfield30's Profile Photo

Quirky and lovely views

Had a nice reduced rate of £45 inc breaki, it goes up for a event sometimes to £60,, the room was spacious ensuite with a strange decor for the budget room bordering on wooden, literally, I preferred the standard with the view of the city at night through the one way glass and blue styled room,
    Malcovitch is everywhere on the pics due to being a investor, so it may be a plus for a fan,

Unique Quality: Views, location, nice breaki

• John Malkovich!?

Hotel was ok, not too expensive and a fairly quiet room even though the hotel lies at a busy road and alongside railroad tracks. Breakfast was perfectly fine, though basic. Staff was not too personal but I haven't been in a british hotel where they are, to be honest.

I arrived quite late without any reservation and they still had a room.

Cardiff center at walking distance.

Unique Quality: The hotel bar looked a bit scary...

Directions: Hotel is on Mute Terrace, approx. 10 min walk from Cardiff Central train station.

• diocletianvs's Profile Photo

The Big Green with Pinky interiors

Obviously the locals didn't like to work in this old office tower so they thought it would be cool to convert it to a hotel. It claims to be one of the first "designer hotels" in the UK, and although it may be a bit exaggerated (we are talking about Ikea-type of design!) the hotel is definitely one of the coolest places I have ever stayed in.

Unique Quality: The location is great - less than 10 minutes walk from the train station and close to the city centre. Our room was on the 5th floor and offered great view of the construction site across the street. (The other side would face the railway tracks.) Nevertheless, the room was very spacious and the bathroom included a tub. Breakfast was a selection of bread rolls with jams, cereals and fruit, coffee and teas. The morning we left we took "breakfast to go" which was a packet of fruit, fruit juice, milk, chocolate bars, cereals and yogurt.

As I said, I enjoyed staying here very much, but also feel that I need to say that this hotel is not for you if you a) don't like pink colour, b) don't like the idea of John Malkovich staring at you from every wall, c) don't like the idea of having breakfast from a (pink) plastic table, sitting on a (pink) plastic chair and d) don't like the idea of being lost in the corridors every time you need to find a reception. Most importantly, I would think twice of staying here during the summer since the windows cannot be opened and the air conditioning was not very convincing.

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo

More reasonable rates than the other hotels

Cardiff City Centre is filling with new 4-star hotels with ridiculous prices. Last year a friend stayed for four nights at The Big Sleep because it was the most reasonable priced central hotel.

It is not the most beautiful location, on a busy main road south of the Cardiff International Arena and the UCG Cinema. The skeleton of the hotel is actually Cardiff's first tower block, which used to house the British Gas Headquarters. Nowadays, of course, its new look is funky and modern.

According to their website, prices start at £45 per night including continental breakfast.

Unique Quality: Partly owned by cult American actor JohnMalkovich.

Recently voted one of the top 25 'coolest' hotels by Conde Nast Traveller (whoever they are!).

Directions: Head directly east from Cardiff Central Station past the Cardiff Ice Rink. Or follow directions for Cardiff International Arena (CIA).

• Carmela71's Profile Photo

Central and Afordable

I had not need a hotel in Cardiff, but the day of the meeting, we nearly stay there LOL, due to the snow.

Now seriously, we were doing research about staying in Cardiff and founded that they have rooms for 40 pounds the night. The location is great, but I had not been inside.

More about The Big Sleep Hotel

big sleep big value!!!!

Went to watch cup final in cardiff and stayed at the big sleep hotel .
i was very happy with the service, and overall condtion, of hotel.
my room was in exellent condtion, and very clean, i paid £108 for a twin room , for cup final day cheap enough i thought!!!! Did not smell as some reveiws had said before i booked. But was not overlly warm in room as you have a card, to turn on electric, but was not that bad soon warmed up with heater on GOOD VAULE

the big rip off...

wish I had these reviews before paying 75£ on a vile room - travelodge is cheaper - and nicer!!

Amazing what a bit of photography can do, and the quotes such as t'his is where the hip people come to party' are certainly not true - the bar was brighty light, with badly mixed drinks and a very loud television on...

lumpy, bed, cold room..... vile.

Accomodation In Cardiff

by ryaner

Hi

The Irish Arsenal Fanclub are travelling over to Cardiff for the Community Shield Game on August 8th

We are looking for a hotel that will accommodate about 10-12 persons

Anyone know of any decent hotels or B & B's

Cheers

Funkyirishman

Re: Accomodation In Cardiff

by Vicky155

Hi there funkyirishman

Your best (and cheapest) bet is either the IBIS hotel (+44 2920 649250) or the Travel lodge on St Mary Street. (+44 870 0850950)

Both are cheap and cheerful and near to the stadium.

If these are full, there is the Big Sleep hotel which is meant to be reasonable too.

Have fun!