The Legacy Royal Hotel

Costs 21% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about The Legacy Royal Hotel

Very nice hotel indeed

by TripAdvisor Member ruthL36

Excellent hotel and a good price.
Stayed for 2 nights and would definitely recommend this hotel (esp room 701). The room was pretty spacious, and the bed was very comfortable. Didn't make use of the CD/ DVD player but that was because we were out and about in the city.
The continental breakfast wasn't very exciting, but it was a good standard - and the bread was lovely and fresh.
There was a rather unusual layout in the hotel - it did seem odd to go downstairs to get a lift back up to reception but its an old building, so you just have to accept little quirks like this.
This hotel is well worth a visit.

Unique and Rewarding Hotel Experience

by TripAdvisor Member Resort_Employee

I stayed at the Royal Cardiff in October for a night as I got a deal on its rate, and the hotel came highly recommended by my agent.

Positives:

-Location: near the stadium, arcade shopping, and Cardiff castle]
-Privacy/Security: no one can get into this hotel without calling into reception first to let them in.
-Rooms: very modern and sleek [bathrooms are gorgeous]
-Beds: extremely comfortable mattress and egyptian cotton bedding/pillows
-Staff helpfulness: staff were happy to help with anything and offered to hold luggage after check-out so I could sightsee without dragging my luggage around the city

Negatives:

-Location: inconspicuously located - not the easiest to find
-Staff Attitude: generally, the staff were ok, but sometimes seemed a little robotic and cold

Overall:

This hotel isn't perfect, but I loved it nonetheless. I had a great time in Wales, and the Royal Cardiff Hotel definitely added to my enjoyment - I will return.

Nice hotel, but nothing special...

by TripAdvisor Member eem_87

The hotel is only 5 mins (if that) walk from Cardiff railway station, but that doesn't make it easy to find (we had to ask a postman to show us the way!) Upon arriving, we found the lift broken, and so had to walk up steep stairs with our bags.

The hotel itself is modern and stylish, the only problem with this being that our room didn't feel 'cosy', but on the plus side our room was huge, with a lovely bathroom - so no complaints there!
The streets around the hotel are quite noisy, but the hotel is very central (10 mins walk to the shops) so that's to be expected.
The only real disappointment was breakfast, where there was little choice of food and the tea was cold.

Overall this is a nice hotel - great location, nice rooms, and friendly staff - but nothing special, and no different from any other hotel chain. Next time I think I'll stay in an Ibis and save myself some money!

nice but strange

by TripAdvisor Member argyllfranny

We have just returned from a trip to Cardiff for my birthday, we booked through an agent and thought that the Royal Hotel looked lovely in the brochure. We arrived by taxi, so we were dropped at the door, so no problem in finding it, but as others have said before, the reception is on second floor, which is not ideal, but wasn't a terrible hardship using stairs or lift. On arrival our receptionist (male ) could have been more pleasant, our room was on very top floor, it was very small with high windows so I was quite disapointed. The bathroom was spacious and clean. Room was modern and clean with very comfy bed. Female receptionists were very nice and helpful. Very central to centre and shops etc, would use again, but would request another room.

Not great for the money!

by TripAdvisor Member Saxophonist

We booked this hotel for 2 nights this weekend for my Birthday. We booked an executive room so expected it to be really nice. The room itself was large but on the first night they forgot to give us bath robes, coffee and a duvet that was big enough to fit the bed! That mixed in with the room vibrating until 4am from the next door clubs provided us with a terrible nights sleep. We were looking forward to breakfast only to find that it was an extra £7 for a cooked breakfast!

We asked for the duvet to be sorted and it was along with the room being prepared properly for our second night.

The staff were friendly but overall the hotel really wasn't worth the money and didn't feel like luxury, the windows were also tiny and we couldn't see anything out of them.

Comments