The Parc Hotel Thistle Cardiff

Park Place, (formerly Thistle Hotel Cardiff), Cardiff, Southern Wales, CF10 3UD, United Kingdom

Thistle Cardiff City Centre, The Parc
Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Balam's Profile Photo

Great Hotel

I arrived in Cardiff and it was under about a foot of slooshy Snow, I was forced to wait in a pub while Vicky battled her way to the City Centre to meet me.
    Although we nade it back to her house that night we decided to look on Late rooms to see if we coulkd find somewhere to stay in The city centre for the next night as my train was first thing in the morning and due to the weather i would not have been able to get there.
    We found a room at the Parc Hotel for £49 per room.

The Parc Hotel has recently been refurbished ad we found it very comfortable, rooms had air conditioning, TV, kettle with tea and coffee and a power shower. The room was tastfully decorated and comfortable.
    I would love to stay here again if i had the chance.

• Myfanwe's Profile Photo

Comfortable and Central

The Parc Hotel is ideally situated right in the centre of Cardiff. It's just a stones throw away from the New Theatre, Castle, Civic Centre and virtually overlooking Queen Street which is one of the main shopping streets. The Hotel is a great looking building with a grand entrance leading to a fresh and modern entrance hall. The check in desks are to the right as you walk in, these can be easily missed as they are behind pillars but saying this, the hotel staff greeted us shortly after we walked through the door. The rooms at The Parc are clean, comfortable and tastefully decorated and there was a nice big flat screen TV on the wall. There is a nice little lounge area downstairs - you can get a drink from the bar in the restaurant area & relax here. Guests also have free use of the Sauna and Gym which is across the road from the Parc.

We only stayed for one night but I really enjoyed the experience & would recommend it to others. We booked our room the day before on laterooms for a bargain price of £49.00 for a double room. Apparently this offer lasts until 27 February 2011.

More about The Parc Hotel Thistle Cardiff

very unhappy with the Thistle Cardiff

by TripAdvisor Member plympton

We were there on the hottest day of the year. We paid 180.00 usd per night. We arrived on the 17th of July. When we arrived the room was dirty. The bathroom floor was sticky and there was hair in the tub, the bedroom carpet had not been vaccumed. The windows of the room were next to a very high building. There was no air flow when you opened the windows. The alir conditioning had been disconnected. With temperatures outside in the mid 90's we could not breath in that room. We complained to the desk and they sent us a small "desk" fan, which did no good. We were told, we had been misinformed, there were no rooms in the hotel with air conditioning.
When we registered we were told there was 24 hour service. On the second day at about 10:00 PM we tried to call room service for some ice water. We then tried to call the front desk. At 10:30 I went down to find out why our calls were not answered. I was told that the room service number was disconnected. There was someone at the desk, he just did'nt answer the phone.
The next night we tried the desk again for ice water. After two tries they answered.
They charged us for breakfast without telling us there was a charge. The charge was just put on our bill.
Finally, on the fourth day, July 20, our problems were addressed. We were given a room with air conditioning and the breakfast charges were taken off our bill.
My advice, don't deal with the men behind the desk. Only the women know what they are doing.
Better advice is to find another hotel.
The resturant service and food was very good.

Tatty near the Taff

by TripAdvisor Member TAHull

Great location, that's about it. A hotel in desperate need of improvement and renovation that can not match its near rivals Marriott, Hilton, Holiday Inn or Angel. Beds were comfortable but there was no central heating in either the room or the bathroom which remained stone cold throughout. A portable fan heater was provided by staff but the cable could not reach into the bathroom. Bedroom was small and the neighbourhood noisy with drunken revellers. Service at breakfast was non existant. On the second morning, there was no fruit juice, instead the dispenser offered only water. There is no way I will stay at this hotel ever again.

Thistle?? Well, definitely prickly!!

by TripAdvisor Member lavabubble

Well what can I say, like the reviewer before me, me and my party were only there due to a visit to the Millennium Stadium (Up the Super Reds by the way!!)

We only ended up there because the other hotel we had booked cancelled on us as they had oversold the rooms. At £190 for one night for two rooms with breakfast it was expensive but not ridiculous.

The hotel itself is a bit of a contradiction in terms of its decor with parts being quite gilt and glitz and the restaurant being done in a very stripped down minimalist theme. There is a very grand entrance and reception area, there was in fact a wedding party in at the time so this gave us some hope that the hotel would be up to scratch. Paying is a nightmare, they pre-authorise cards, which when I had tried to pay in full and the net and couldn't and they didn't take payment on check in as requested despite swiping my card and making me sign (!!!!!) really hacked me off.

Anyway, the rooms we had were ok. Ours was a double which was city size and clean but a bit old fashioned and shabby and the other was a twin which was a very good size although it smelled a bit fusty and the ceiling fan didn't work. There is a major scheme of redecoration going on and from the looks of the restaurant they are generally trying to clean up and modernise the hotel. The beds were comfortable and clean which to me is always the most important thing.

The hotel bar prices are outlandish, £3.10 a pint is a bit steep if you ask me. The bar itself is terribly decorated with floral sofas and only 2 proper table and chair setups. The bar staff are less than talkative and you can't help but feel that because you are there as a football fan (even though we were all women) that they are wary of serving you.

The wedding party were not happy about the service at the hotel and it ended up with the bride storming out of the hotel in tears. I presume she came back later as the party went on until the wee small hours, the appalling layout of the hotel means that the function rooms are on the first floor and are above the bar and under paying customers rooms on the second floor (us!!) which I think is ridiculous considering the cost of a stop there. Luckily enough we were all so tired from travelling that we slept as soon as our heads hit the pillow but if this had been a proper leisure trip I would have been very unhappy about the noise level.

The hotel itself is also just off the main shopping area which is close to a lot of the pubs and there is a late bar bang across the road so there is a lot of noise outside into the early hours also, but it is convenient if that is what you have gone to Cardiff for.

The next morning we went down to breakfast which I must say was probably the best breakfast we have had in a chain hotel for some time. It was fresh and hot, well cooked, the staff couldn't do enough for you.

There are little things like a tray charge of £4 for room service meals and drinks which I think is high, there is no free internet access which is standard in a lot of hotels now and there is a charge of £6.50 per day for car parking which I think is a lot considering the room rates. It is only just cheaper than the nearby NCP and gets full very quickly.

Please also be aware that if you book through their own website as we did, even though you book a double room the prices quoted are for one person only and there is an extra guest charge on top of the room rate to sleep with your own partner. I think this is at best cheeky in all honesty and do not know of any other hotel chain doing this.

All in all, the hotel was ok. I might not have been so kind if we hadn't won at football! I won't be planning a return visit to the hotel and would make all efforts to find something better value for money before considering stopping at a Thistle Hotel in the future.

Haven't a clue!!

by TripAdvisor Member nige9359

I would love to have written a review of this hotel, but having booked well in advance, they had resold the rooms to a wedding reception's guests

To be fair though, they found another hotel (albeit 10 miles out of the city) and paid for taxis back into the city for the whole weekend

Wouldn't stay again

by TripAdvisor Member lifeis2shrt2fndaname

This hotel is in a good location, but that is all it has going for it. I can't see why it has been given 4 stars/ This hotel was booked by work and we asked for non smoking which was on our booking but were told that was only a request, and there were no non smoking rooms left, must have been very busy for a Thursday! However we could have the room "refreshed" - air freshner sprayed! The bed smelt of smoke and the net curtains were nicotine stained. The bed was comfortable but tiny, can't remember the last time we slept in such a small bed, it felt like a 4 foot bed. The sink was badly cracked and looked dirty, the bath was grubby as were the tiles. The police arrived in the evening but the receptionist wasn't "allowed" to tell us why they were there. None of the staff seem experienced, we had to remind them to bring our wine in the restaurant ( there were two other people there), the cork was broken off extracting it from the bottle, £15 for a tuna steak and no vegetables, nicely done but expensive for a piece of tuna, the plate with the two rolls was chipped. Breakfast was indifferent and a bit sparce, again we had to remind them to bring our tea. Noisy at night.

Comfortable stay

by TripAdvisor Member Llamagirl

Having read the other reviews for the Thistle I was pretty apprehensive about staying there, but we were going to a friend's wedding in the hotel and had nowhere else to go.
Someone called Madonna was playing in the Millennium Stadium so the rest of Cardiff was fully booked.
Fortunately, we got the room at the wedding special rate of £90 - much better than the £160 rate for a double room advertised at reception.
The four-star hotel is large and comfortable. Some of it could do with redecoration - ripped wallpaper and tied-looking carpets - but it's mainly up to a satisfactory standard. Our double room was fine and the decoration seemed quite new. It was clean and welcoming, with great air conditioning, although the middle-aged fussy styling didn't do much for it.
Breakfast was good, but nothing out of the ordinary, although all the staff who served us were very friendly and helpful.
it's also in a great location, just off one of the main shopping streets in the city centre, so perhaps this pushes the prices up.

Not as bad as expected

by TripAdvisor Member Helen_ONeill

I also visited the Cardiff Thistle when Madonna was in town. The previous reviewer had a much better deal than me as I was in a twin room with no air con and no breakfast for £90 per night.

The only truly bad thing about this hotel was the room temperature, it was so hot it was unbearable. The room appeared to be clean but was not up to a Marriott/Hilton standard. Overall it was OK for the price seeing as the better hotels were asking £180 per night. The location is excellent and the staff were helpful, I would stay here again.

under refurbishment

by TripAdvisor Member beti29

I recently booked this hotel on one of the busiest days of the month and was lucky to find a room at a rate of £100 on a room only basis (which wasn't too bad including the hotel are offering a 2 for 1 breakfast offer). The hotel itself is beautiful on the outside but a bit old looking inside. However, as I understood the hotel is under major refubishment. The restaurant looks gorgeous and staff were friendly. I would stay at this hotel again on the basis that this hotel has the best staff and the service standards are excellent.

Better than expected

by TripAdvisor Member billinswansea

Having seen some reviews we wondered if it would be good. We had a very good quiet room. The hotel was very quiet (summer holidays), and breakfast was good. Our summer tariff (69 pounds for 2) including breakfast and was very good value. Staff were good - though reception was a little dis-organised.

Bill