The St David's Hotel & Spa Cardiff

See Amenities
SallyM's Profile Photo

Great Location

by written on April 5, 2012

This hotel has a great location on Cardiff Bay.

We got a good deal on two nights' bed and breakfast, with dinner on the first night thrown in (£370).

Our room was pleasant, with furry throws and cushions on bed and floor to ceiling windows with view of bay, but I would call it a UK 4* rather than 5*.

Facilities in room: tea-making (4 each of ordinary tea bags, Earl Grey, Blackcurrant, Nescafe, plus 2 x hot chocolate; biscuits; 2 bottles of mineral water; bath salts, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner; bath robes and slippers; iron, ironing board and trouser press; shoe cleaning block, cotton buds and cotton wool pad.

The breakfast was the usual buffet style, with tea, coffee and toast served to order.

I did not make use of the hotel spa faciltities so cannot comment on those.

Unique Quality: Perhpas the most unique feature of this hotel was the art work on our bathroom wall, which appeared to depict three buttocks.

Moving swiftly on, the best thing about the hotel is the location on Cardiff Bay, with great views from our room, and from the restaurant.

There is ample on-site parking. The hotel car park itself was full when we arrived, but there is a council-run car park next door, which was fine, except the machines were pay and display only (no pay on exit or pay by phone). The hotel reception can provide change if necessary.

Worst customer service ever

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 4, 2010

We stayed at this hotel to use the spa. The spa was shut the whole time we were there and the spa staff were rude and bullying. We had checked before we stayed there that the spa would be working as the last time we stayed it was shut, and we were told that it would definitely be working. The hotel managers are having real problems filling this hotel and are busing in cheap tours. Last time I stayed here a party in the room next to me continued drinking until 4 in the morning until they were removed by the police. The management were too scared to intervene and I had to go to a meeting the next day without having slept. This hotel used to be wonderful but the new owners have ruined it. Most of the staff have only been there a few weeks and there is a real feeling that they dont know what they are doing.

Unique Quality: Lovely location but terrible management.

blowstar's Profile Photo

No longer Forte, more mezzo-forte

by written on August 31, 2007

The St David's is no longer a Rocco Forte hotel and is managed by Principal Hotels who claim to be "Britain's best four-star conference specialist" ... so it may be dropping a star in the process. Certainly it's showing its 3-year age with some minor maintenance overlooked especially on exterior balconies and in the spa.

Staff are brisk and professional, but it's patchy - three times when I called for some information reception had to phone back because "no one is available" - but they were available to answer the phone? Didn't get that.

Buffet breakfast looks smart, but the cooked food was very poor, cold and underdone in almost all cases - raw tomatoes and mushrooms, pale pink sausage interiors and flabby bacon. Even sending it to the kitchen for a re-heating only resulted in a surface blasting, not a proper cooking. And at £35 for two (continental or cooked, same price) it's pretty steep.

The rooms, particularly the bay-facing King bedded ones, are excellent. Lovely linens, great ceiling heights, full wall of windows and a full moon over Cardiff Bay and you could be in the Caribbean or maybe crossing a great ocean on a liner, such is the nautical feel of the St David's. Bathrooms are smart but not true 5-star - showers are on chrome snakes over the bath, not a walk-in drencher, and not as spacious as, say a Four Seasons one.

The spa is well-equipped, nice changing rooms, robes, huge jacuzzi and nice pool fronting the bay ... at weekends it can be a bit chavvy with both local and visiting families, but children's bathing times are controlled and in the evenings with the light on the water, it's delightful.

With internet room rates around £150, though, this is not five-star pricing either, so for a very high quality hotel, certainly the best in the vicinity by a long chalk, it's good value and a very enjoyable experience.

Directions: If driving, approach it on the A4232 from the Cardiff West/Barry turnoff, not the Cardiff City exits from the M4 otherwise you'll see the seamy side of this not entirely lovely city.

SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

From a Distance

by written on October 3, 2006

Floating like an island in the middle of Cardiff Bay, the St. David Hotel is reputed to be one of the very best hotels in the world.

I have close ties with Cardiff and have been visiting this City since I was a very young child, and since I heard about the hotel I have longed to stay here. However, each time I plan to do so, one of my many Cardiff relatives insists that there's a bed for me in his/her/their house and there goes my chance of staying in the St David. Up to last weekend (1st October, 2006) I had never even seen the exterior of the hotel.

On Sunday 1st October I begged my cousin to bring me here and in fact we got as far as Mermaid Quay, from where I took this pic, and no further as mu cousin had other commitments.

I know that some people hate tips or recommendations on hotels from people who have never stayed there, but my tip is helpful in that I advise that this hotel is pretty remote from the City Centre and not ideal for those who want to step out of their hotel and find themselves in the midst of shops.

There are, however, a myriad of restaurants of every type and nature in the immediate vicinity at mermaid Quay.

Directions: Cardiff Bay Area

neilward's Profile Photo

What a fantastic building

by written on January 18, 2004

Vey luxurious and the staff there look after you and make you feel special.
A couple of football teams have stayed there before Cup Finals (held at The Millenium Stadium) and lost so I think its a bit jinxed !!)

Unique Quality: Go on pamper yourself !!

CarolynShort's Profile Photo

St David's Hotel

by written on August 24, 2002

Double room - £160 (£130 at weekends)

Unique Quality: Wales' top 5-star hotel, so if you feel like treating yourself, this is the place..... I managed to spend a night there for free once, when a friend couldn't make her reservation, and couldn't get a refund from the on-line booking service... It was the only hotel I've ever stayed in when the maid knock on your room door in the early evening to see if you want your sheets turned down! (but then again I not usually a 5* guest)... Decided paying a fortune for hotel food negated the benefit of a free night's accommodation, so went to the nearby Tesco Metro and bought some sandwiches and took them back to my room (how cheap am I?!!) Made good use of the Spa pool/sauna/steam room though... catching the lift down to the Spa in my plush dressing gown and slippers... feeling very glam...

Nearby The St David's Hotel & Spa Cardiff

• Free High Speed Internet
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Cardiff Travel Forum

Need advice about Cardiff, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Cardiff and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Cardiff hotel reviews

Reliable
Ianto's Memorial
Avoid at all costs!
Restaurants
One From The Jungle book!!
Very Nice Pub