Carlton Hotel

The Mumbles Hotel
Priceline.com Booking.com eDreams

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Swansea

Three Cliff Bay, Gower Peninsula, near SwanseaThree Cliff Bay, Gower Peninsula, near Swansea

SwanseaSwansea

Yates, Wind StreetYates, Wind Street

Swansea CastleSwansea Castle

Travel Tips for Swansea

Swansea Tip

by Mengke

(Ooops-Swansea) I first drank Tequila in the Mumbles, in Swansea. After taking out a star map and checking out the sky, my cousin took me down the Mumbles, on the west of Swansea, a small penninsula, with pubs along the 'front?'. Then we raced, warmed by now, to catch a bus to the cinema. Needless to say I can't remember the film, but I think it was a good one. We had a good night, fell asleep on the carpet. Good company is the best! (Unfortunately, but hardly suprising - I didn't get a photo, and I think this is the other side of the Mumbles penninsula...rather boring in comparison!)

Glyn Vivian Art Gallery

by aaaarrgh

Oriel Gelf Glyn Vivian, as it is called in Welsh, is always a must-do activity when I visit Swansea.

Like all public galleries it is free to enter!

The building is pleasant, airy, early C20th. It has a permanent collection of Welsh paintings, glass and ceramics.

However, it never ceases to amaze me how good the visiting exhibitions are. They are always consistently good. Even the Summer open exhibition of local art was 95% excellent.

Open 10-5, Tuesday to Sunday. 5 minutes walk from Swansea railway station.

Swansea "Maritime Quarter"

by aaaarrgh

Some of Swansea's old docks have been converted quite nicely into a Marina, called the Maritime Quarter, with restaurants, cheap cafe's, pubs and expensive housing. This all happened at least 15 years ago, and the area is all the better for it.

There is an old 'light ship' moored in one of the docks. And some other old boats too. This is the location of South Wales' brand new Industrial and Maritime Museum (see my separate tip).

You are not far from the seafront here and Swansea Bay. A nice walk is to head slightly southeast, across one of the dock's bridges, and continue till you reach the River Tawe. There is a sea lock at the entrance. Boats pass through here at high tide from the yacht marina to the sea. A bit of nautical action to watch.

Plenty to do, including several Dylan Thomas venues - gallery, theatre and museum.

Watch out for the new "SA1" development of the rest of Swansea's docks area. It sounds very ambitious!

Just passing through

by SallyM

My visit to Swansea was brief, for the purposes of attending a Doctor Who convention at the Marriott hotel.

We did however take the opportunity to explore a little further.

The Marriott hotel is located in the waterfront area, which was interesting to explore during our lunch breaks.

We were staying in the city centre - unfortunately there were major roadworks and excavations going on at the time, which made getting in and out by car somewhat difficult, but I am sure it will be great when it's finished.

SWANSEA - not Cardiff, sorry

by Mengke

I know, I know. You come here expecting Cardiff, great city, good Rugby, nice bars, and you get Swansea, city of poets, pretty marina, good nightlife. Dissapointment plus. But ahhh, if you pause a moment to consider, to read, Swansea's not far from Cardiff. A nice day trip. People are friendly.
I spent a bit of time in Swansea over the period my cousin studied engineering at the University there. So he showed me the sights at night, and during the day I just wandered. Here are some of my favourite wandering spots -
Pic is the Dylan Thomas Statue near the marina. Dylan Thomas was a modern poet - realism.

Comments