Culver House Hotel

The Fish PassThe Fish Pass

St Nicholas ChurchSt Nicholas Church

Bachelorette Party?!

Hello,

My daughter is getting married in early August in a town called Llanddowror, the home town of her fiance. She thinks it's going to be only her father and I going. We are from the US and have never been to Wales.

She has no idea yet, but I have arranged for 4 of her best friends to surprise her and meet us there!!

The problem? We want to have a fun bachelorette party, but I have NO idea what to plan or where we might go for some action. We would like to be in a bar or club with lots of people.

Is Swansea the best place? How far away is it from Llanddowror?

The other problem? It's going to have to take place on the first MONDAY night in August! Not the best night of the week for a party - but it has to be that way.

Can anyone give me some ideas of where to go? Thanks so much!

by leics

Llanddowror is a small village, rather than a town (800 or so inhabitants in 2001).

Putting the name into www.multimap.com will give you a pretty good idea of the surrounding area (with zoomable maps); it's very pretty, but rather empty. The nearest biggish town is Carmarthen, about 11 miles away. Swansea is 37 or so miles, taking around 50 minutes to drive (depending on traffic/weather conditions).

It will cost a lot to get a taxi to Swansea so (assuming you are intending to drink alcohol at your gathering) I suggest you aim for Carmarthen instead, which will be a bit less (tho not cheap). Unless someone more local can come up with a good country pub/restaurant? There may be somewhere nearer (e.g. Laugharne, home of Dylan Thomas, or possibly Tenby, a seaside-y sort of place)

You might find some useful info on www.visitwales.com or www.virtualtenby.co.uk.

by Cenoteazul

Thank you so much for your response. Yes, I have already informed my husband that he will be dropping us off and picking us up wherever we decide to go - so the transportation/drinking part of the equation has been taken care of! The most important thing is "where"!

by film

There are some links to club websites on this site, but you really need local knowledge.

Batchelorette is an American word. We can work out what it means but normally a Batchelor Party is called a Stag night and Batchelorette Party is call a Hen night. A few searches of Hen Party Swansea will bring up some possibilities...but on a Monday?

by 43beckos

Try having a look on this site for ideas

Good luck organinsing a hen night in Swansea on a Monday

by Cenoteazul

Hen Night, huh? Doesn't really create a fun mental image, does it? At least Stag Night sounds fun!

Hen Night. Well, I learned something new. Thanks.

And thanks for the web links. It has helped. I now know the Monday is the absolute worst night possible to have this party! :( Oh well. I have no choice.

This ought to be interesting. We have light-up sunglasses and boas and all sorts of crazy gimmicky things to wear. I can see us now, walking into some dead nightclub dressed up like a group of Elton John wannabees! Lol!

All I need is ONE place full of people on a Monday night. Help?? Anyone??

Travel Tips for Swansea

The Mannheim Watertower in Swansea

by christine.j

For someone coming from Mannheim this would be a "what to do" tip, but for the rest of the world it's "off the beaten path". Mannheim is one of the twin cities of Swansea and a sculpture of the landmark of Mannheim, the watertower, is standing in Swansea.
I asked at the tourist information, but the very friendly and helpful lady there had never heard of it. (What a blow to Mannheim's pride!)
Her boss also had no idea what I was talking about. They were going to send me to the Swansea watertower, but told me it's not really in an area of any interest for tourists. When I said there had to be a Mannheim Quay somewhere ( that what it had said in our local paper here in Mannheim), they had never heard of a Mannheim Quay either. (Another blow to Mannheim's pride!)
But with the help of three different maps, we managed to locate the Mannheim Quay and it turned out it was not really far (but a very tiny quay). So I walked there and found the sculpture of our Mannheim watertower. And, of course, I took a picture of it.
If you want to see the original, come to Mannheim.

Oystermouth Castle - Castell Ystumllwynarth

by M0B1US

This picturesque little castle is situated a couple of hundred metres inland from the mumbles waterfront, overlooking the town of Oystermouth affording fantastic views.

It is a small, fairly well-preserved castle founded by William de Londres of Ogmore Castle early in the 12th century.

It is set in a small park and makes for a nice walk up for a great view of the surrounding area.

It may be a modest castle - but it is certainly far more impressive than the shell of Swansea castle in the city!

It costs about £3 to visit.

Walk along the Tawe Barrage

by Myfanwe

The Tawe Barrage was completed in 1992 creating a new marina at the mouth of the River Tawe offering further boating facilities here.

The barrage structure includes a boat lock, spillway, fish pass and generator turbine. The turbine serves a dual use: acting as a power generator for the National Grid as well as being used to pump water back into the Tawe river system.

SWANSEA

by jhorsfield30

"WALES CITY BY THE SEA"

Wales’ city by the sea, Swansea offers stunning landscape, dramatic coastline and city excitement, combined with good quality accommodation, and a huge variety of things to see and do.

"WORKING WHILE ENJOYING"

I remember the first time I came to swansea was on working for a computer company. I had the opportunity to spend some time in the city and foudn a good range of shops, eateries, local attractions and a fantastic cycle route along the prom which runs alongside the university all the way down the gower coast to the mumbles!!

Comments