Wellesbourne, just off the M40, Walton, CV35 9HU, United Kingdom
Walton Hotel
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 25% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Barcelo Walton Hall

Good spot for a weekend break if you can stand the noise

by TripAdvisor Member Duncan L

Just spent the weekend at Walton Hall with my two kids (12 and 5) and my parents. Ideally situated for us in the middle of the country and the grounds are superb. On the plus side:

Staff are courteous and helpful
Room comfortable (we had a premium room - plenty of space for an extra bed), though not in the rather splendid looking main building, which is still being replenished.
Restaurant of a good standard, with friendly and attentive service. Would recommend for dinner.
While breakfast gets busy, having said that there were additional tables laid in an ante room and the constantly replenished buffet never had a queue more than a couple.

Only negative was there was a wedding on the Saturday night with the evening function in a marquee. A live band played loudly until quite late which rather precludes sleep anywhere - on the other hand this is an obvious wedding venue so what else could I expect ?

Overall I left with a thoroughly positive impression of a well managed hotel and would certainly return.

Better have a CAr and know England before you go

by TripAdvisor Member kewelch46

May 5, 2007

You better make sure you have a Rental Car for this place. Way out in Countryside, 2 and half miles one way to FoodCentre if walking it, People at Front Desk where RCI timeshare people get key, are Not friendly, there was 1 Girl that did help, but, other front desk girls, didn't want to look at you let alone talk to you.

Breakfast Manager was the only nice person there, he went out of his way to help me.

RCI place was OK as far as cleaned, called for help as We didn't know that the Dish liquid would have to be bought by us, they only provide Dishwasher pellets. Housekeeping foreign woman kept saying She didn't know.

It would have been nice if we could have seen a little something of WAlton Hall inside, hear they are spending Mega Millions of pounds to refurbish. Out in Car Park, workers at Hotel wouldn't speak to us, when asking for help.

They don't answer the Front Desk phone when it rings, must not want to Deal with Strangers.

Remember, Being Snotty to RCI members isn't good.

Remember don't go there if you are not renting a Car right away, waiting for you at Train Station, Oh! Rental isn't open on SAturdays,
Make sure you deal with Enterprise Renta Car, they pick you up like here in USA.

3 Sprigs of leafy things, 1/2 cup of raw onion, 3 small slices of tomato, a blob of fried Goat Cheez cost us 20 pounds Sterling. That is a Sin, could not eat the thing.

How many stars for this place?

Good modern hotel in country estate setting

The hotel is comprised primarily of a tasteful and sympathetic modern development attached to a large manor house set in well cared for and extensive grounds. (The manor house is in course of restoration and will presumably be incorporated into the hotel once the works have been completed.) Service was both friendly and efficient. A bit off the beaten track (10 miles from Warwick station and 20 miles from Coventry station), but a good venue for smallish conferences, for relaxation, and for exploring the local countryside.

very peaceful place

by TripAdvisor Member Mrs_Gannon

I was a little concerned after reading some of the earlier reviews (after I had booked!), but I shouldn't have worried. The hotel rooms are in another very new building - not the large impressive house as featured in all the photos - but being new the hotel is very well presented. The health suite is a very short stroll from the hotel, thru the manicured gardens - we swam around the pool catching glimpses of the wide, open countryside thru the walled garden gate - very beautiful. We stayed over Thursday night into Friday and even though there seemed to be a business seminar happening it didn't impact on our stay at all - both times we used the pool there was only us in it. We even managed to treat ourselves to a couple of treatments in the beauty spa.
We can only comment on the breakfast food which had a good variety of hot and cold offerings.
We paid £99.00 for a double room with breakfast -excellent value I think. I also think the prices will rise when the main house is finished and the builders do move out.

Excellent Stay

by TripAdvisor Member richardlondon

I stayed for a night at the Paramount Walton to attend a big fancy dress party in the main house.

I have only positive things to say about this hotel. Staff were friendly, helpful and accommodating.

My room, although not in the main house, was modern and very comfortable.

The grounds are very beautiful and are in a perfect setting. I travelled by train to Leamington Spa which was about 20 minutes away by taxi.

Highly recommended!

Wait Until The Refurb is Finished...

by TripAdvisor Member CaliBrit

The hotel seems to be suffering badly from chaos of new management and subsequent refurbishments. Booking was extremely difficult. I emailed several times with no response. It wasn't until I emailed their head office that I got a reply.

On arrival we were disappointed that the long driveway does not lead straight up to the impressive main building, but an unfinished gravel car park and some out buildings.

Reception staff were terrible. No acknowledgment as we stood waiting for them to finish on their computers. When they finally did check us in they had my room rate as twice that it should have been. I don't usually bother to print out my confirmation email but was glad I did. They rechecked and found a rate that was about 15GBP less than I had booked at but they wouldn't give it to me. Oh well, no big deal.

The room was in one of the new buildings, called Orchard Mews I think. We had a ground floor with french doors opening onto a small patio with a walkway in front. Upstairs rooms had a small balcony. From the outside they look like community centers. The rooms are small and the furnishings are not that high a standard. Lots of small things were broken or had never worked, seems that they were using rooms before the contractors had done their final walk through. Sound proofing was good, we didn't hear our neighbors at all. But do take a cd player if you would like to listen to music.

We had dinner at the hotel which was in a function room off the bar. The tables were temporary folding tables which made sitting around them difficult as the metal folding legs seemed to get in the way wherever you sat.

The staff were doing their best but were clearly inexperienced. They were very nervous, spills, trips and strange order of service. But after a bottle of red we hardly noticed. Special thanks to the bartender, great guy, very funny and went out of his way to be helpful.

The main building is completely closed. That was a disappointment and not mentioned on the website. Their were skips, piles of rubble and various other building materials piled everywhere. You really did have the feeling of being in the middle of a building site.

The grounds were very nice. But again this was spoiled by having to look past the unfinished mess.

I would go back again in a year or so. Only because I was so disappointed with the unfinished amenities that I would like to see it in the way it is presented on the website. Hopefully when all the work has been completed and the staff have learnt the ropes this will be a reality.

Hotel Units Nice - RCI Units a Dump

by TripAdvisor Member EmeraldSeas

Need to start with this. There are two operational factions working under the same roof at this resort - the hotel which is managed by Paramount and the timeshare which mismanaged by RCI.

HOTEL OPERATION: The grounds and Hall are stunning and the staff is extremely helpful and pleasant. The rooms have been recently renovated and offer basic accommodations with clean lines. Housekeeping does a great job. Hot water was instant and water pressure good. The restaurant serves excellent meals, although it may be a bit spendy for some budgets. A number of conventions were taking place while we were there, so apparently corporations are finding this place to be a good spot for retreats. Would definitely recommend this place.

Being in the English countryside, a car is necessary. Well worth the cost to take in all the natural beauty, see wild animals, and visit some extremely cool villages, including Stratford, home to Shakespear's during the early years.

RCI OPERATION: The units that RCI owns within this project are dumps (they could be VERY cool, even posh, if the proper attention was given to them - see exterior picture). Mold, mildew, gross carpets, outdated appliances, sagging bed. They smell bad. We used 27,040 points for three nights. Although Paramount housekeeping is doing their very best to keep the places clean, you can't put lipstick on a pig. We refused to stay in those units. Yuk!!!! Run, don't walk, away from this resort if you are on an exchange.

Needless to say, we refused to stay in an unfit environment. By US standards, the place would be deemed condemned. Instead, we moved to the hotel, paid for the stay, and settled in. Throughout this ordeal, the hotel staff were understanding, professional, and extremely helpful.

The thing that's really baffling is why the Paramount Group continues to check RCI members in? Station an RCI employee or high-level manager at the front desk to deal with the fallout. Paramount is causing their employees a whole lot of undue stress at this property.

Nice Hotel Poor service & Expensive

by TripAdvisor Member ColonelG

The hotel was nice and the rooms having been recently refurbished were also of a high standard. I stayed in the newer bit of the property. I found the staff to be unhelpful in the main. They also only served breakfast until 10 which on a Sunday morning isn't ideal. Having asked about this the staff were incredibly dissmissive to the point of being rude. It was almost like I was in the wrong when I made a suggestion as to how they could improve their service. The other problem was the price of drinks at the bars, they really made your eyes water! I wouldn't stay there again.

Satisfied customers

by TripAdvisor Member patsmithNottingham

We have just spent three nights at the Paramount Walton Hotel and Spa and in view of some of the adverse comments we felt we wished to say that we were very satisfied. We found all the staff to be extremely courteous, pleasant and helpful - this applies to everyone from the main reception, dining room, leisure centre and cleaning staff. The whole hotel is immaculately clean and all the fittings are to a high standard. The grounds are lovely and, although the location is a little remote, it does provide a feeling of peace and tranquility. The breakfast is good, very nicely cooked and presented; we had one evening meal at the hotel and although the portions were quite small for the price charged, they were adequate. We do intend to pay a return visit as we really loved visiting Stratford and Warwick.

Superb Anniversary Getaway!

by TripAdvisor Member AndyBStockport

Having stayed in the fabulous Waterhead in Ambleside for my first wedding anniversary, I was eager to equal or improve this experience for our second.

Having made sure that the refurbishments (mentioned in earlier reviews) were complete, I booked into the Hall - as opposed to the modern Hotel in the same grounds.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by acres of picturesque grounds complete with a tree-lined driveway ceremoniously leading to the Hall.

Internally, the refurbishment is money well-spent with all the original features, but with a tasteful and sympathetic modern twist.

Reception from the staff was courteous - if a little sedate - but friendly nontheless.

We were booked into a Coach House Double which was a short walk away from the main building. The room was modern in decor with a high standard of finish to fixtures and fittings. Adequately sized with all of the facilities you'd expect from a hotel such as a large plasma tv, iron/board, tea/coffee making facilities etc. As the rooms were all refurbished, everything was immaculate and brand-new. I suspect we were the first guests to stay in this room such was the cleanliness. However, this proved it's initial downfall...

When we came to shower in readiness for the evening, we discovered that the shower and bath didn't work, or rather, they only worked with cold water!

I immediately reported this to the reception - by foot, as the phone didn't work either (another untested item). The staff member there was immediately apologetic and offered us a free upgrade to a premium room in the main hall. Normally an additional £40-£60.

My advice here would be; If you're considering staying here, spend the additional cost...

The premium room was twice as big with 15/20 foot high ceilings that gave it a feel of grandeur. It had excellent views over the grounds. The decor again, was tasteful and fixtures/fittings and cleanliness - immaculate. There were little extras that made it worthwhile also, such as complimentary wine and mineral water. The photo of this type of room on the official website doesn't really do it justice!

The location is noteworthy too. A previous reviewer mentioned it seemed a little isolated. Surely that's part of it's appeal? The hotel has surrounding countryside as far as the eye can see, yet, Stratford is a mere 20-minute's drive, and Warwick, even closer. Provided you have transport, I would say this has a perfect location.

I needn't have worried about equaling the Waterhead! My only concern now is what next for the third anniversary - Hard to beat!

In conclusion, This hotel has everything you could ask for in a weekend break. I would highly recommend it. However, plump for the premium rooms - they're well worth the upgrade, or at least, test the shower!

Comments