The Street, Westleton, Southwold, IP17 3AD, United Kingdom
Booking.com Priceline.com

More about The Westleton Crown

Nice Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member LondonMiller

Just spent a pleasant weekend at the Westleton Crown. Generally found the hotel to be of a decent standard and the room was a nice size with a comfortable double bed. The food was very good and came in decent portions, first night we were only able to eat the starters and mains, despite wanting to have a pudding, Saturday night we skipped the starter and had the puddings which were very good. Generally the staff were pleasant and happy to help.

Great food, terrible service

by TripAdvisor Member Gib25

We stayed at the Westleton Crown on Sunday 23rd March, in one of their "better" rooms. The furniture in the room and decoration of both the room and bathroom was superb with the added benefit of a cafetiere, free standing bath and flat screen TV, we really couldn't find fault with the room; although if our stay had been longer than one night I think the absence of a shower would have become an issue.

We dined in the restaurant in the evening and the food was outstanding. The choice, quality and presentation was first class and it was cooked to perfection. Unfortunately, the whole experience was let down by the staff, not an unusual occurrence I can assume after reading other reviews. The biggest culprit of them all was the Manager himself, he had a bad attitude and surly disposition. He was clearly annoyed and put out when we said we were not ready to order, then later took our drinks order and forgot both the wine and water. The serving staff did their best to rectify his failings but not even an apology was offered. We later had to "catch" a member of staff to place our order for desert and once again felt as if we were putting them out. Unfortunately it was again the same story at breakfast, with the absence of any staff I went into reception to ask what we should do and inform them there was no milk, orange juice or bowls left on the buffet table to which I received a polite apology (credit where it's due). The same could not be said for the waitress who was again rude and unapologetic about the absence of many items and a mix up with another table.

The Westleton Crown ticks so many of the boxes but falls a long way short of good customer service, this is hugely important and something they should address if they want customers to return and recommend it to others.

Disappointed with the Westleton........

by TripAdvisor Member sfrogg

We stayed here in October of last year. Both myself and partner travel the world extensively and are used to staying in faceless corporate hotels so we look forward to small boutique hotels where we can find a level of comfort and personal service that we don't mind paying for.
Unfortunately, we were sorely disappointed. We opted for a premium room and not only had the room not been made up on our arrival (they did offer a free drink by way of an apology!) but the bed was a tiny double where a king or superking would have been expected (thank goodness neither of us are "big boned"!) There was also nowhere for two people to sit and chat as only one rather cheap foam chair bed was provided. In it's defence, the room decor was acceptable and the bathroom was beautifully finished but "a coat of Farrow and Ball paint and expensive sanitary ware a hotel do not make!"
The service was very average, having to ask for things twice at meal times became a drag. Some of the staff (but certainly not all) were surly.
The food was the one redeeming aspect of the stay, beautifully cooked and presented.
The most incredible aspect of the stay was the fact that the Westleton didn't even bother to reply to a letter that I sent informing them of my feelings. I found this incredibly rude and any chance of us visiting again was dismissed at this point.

Nice stay in a charming spot

by TripAdvisor Member Persianborn

Noting the variable reports on this site, I thought I would add some positive comment on our recent stay. My wife and I stayed one Saturday night in Kestrel, apparently one of the better rooms. We were - without asking - offered a rate of £105, £25 off the published rate, having called the day before. The room was simply but attractively furnished - everything was good quality and rather to our taste. No problem with noise - passing cars barely audible. Dinner was very good - service was on the leisurely side of well-paced, but it was far preferable to being rushed. The waitresses were friendly and obliging, and seemed perfectly well-trained for a country pub. Food is at the top end of what you'd expect - everything homemade including delicious bread. Only pity was that we didn't have room for pudding. We had a similar good experience at breakfast. The bar and dining rooms are convivial and attractive, with scrubbed pine tables, lots of candles, a log fire and very nice Adnam's beer.

I can appreciate that £160 for a room is probably pushing at the limits of what is bearable and might also push expectations too high. However, we enjoyed our short stay very much - it's one of the best examples of a good dining pub with rooms we've been to. It's also in a lovely part of the world.

Nice Country Pub & 3 Star Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ourview

My husband had business in Southwold early Wednesday morning so stayed here Tuesday 4th March. We stayed in the Swan room (one of the best) which had modern black wrought iron 4 poster bed with white muslim drapes, very soft snowy white duvet cover, lovely soft towels and bathrobes. We also had a free standing bath in our room which was great. Tea, coffee making facilities, flat screen TV, Fired Earth sanitary ware. I didn't like the carpet much but thats just being picky. We also felt that under the bath should not be carpet. We were charged £120.00 and felt this was well worth the money. Dinner was very tasty, best chips ever tasted. My husbands steak was very small and thin and over-cooked so they apologised and changed it immediately. Our coffee and my husbands brandy were free as an apology. Breakfast delicious. Very nice staff. Did forget our early morning call, but luckily we were awake anyway.
It is not that near Southwold and there was no clear mobile phone signal, it kept coming and going. The pub is really nice with lovely conservatory and tiered gardens. I would definately rate this as a very good 3 Star Inn and after seeing the rest of what was on offer in Southwold and around we would stay here again its just a pity its not in walking distance to the coast.

Not fantastic, but not so bad either

by TripAdvisor Member alanmsq

Having read the mixed reviews of this place, I thought I'd add a moderating view of our own experience. My wife and I stayed here for just one night in February. Our room was 'Chaffinch' which, although not large, was adequate for the one night (perhaps wouldn't have wanted to stay for several nights though!) Bathroom was well finished, but both the bathroom and bedroom showed early signs of needing redecoration – the hotel will need to keep on top of this.

We ate in the restaurant (prebooked) on the evening of our stay. Be aware that the pub is quite rambling and tables are set in various rooms and areas – some more cosy and welcoming than others. We were given no choice but a table in the large conservatory which seemed a bit cold (not literally) and impersonal.

On the whole we were impressed by the food, but no more than we expected, given that this was Suffolk Dining Pub of 2007. We did find that the service was a bit short of expectations – we ordered glasses of wine with dinner which didn't arrive until we were well into our meal, and getting more coffee at breakfast took some doing! The quality of breakfast itself was very good.

In summary – accommodation okay; food good; service could be improved; value a little overpriced.

Pleasant stay in Rural Suffolk

by TripAdvisor Member Inglenook

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights at The Crown a week ago. We stayed in the "Swallow" room - one of the upstairs rooms in the annexe.

We found the The Crown a great place to stay. The room was a good size, neatly arranged and with a well-appointed bathroom - special mention for the oversized bath, really good for taller folk like ourselves. Although there are TVs in the bedrooms, we appreciated the visitors' lounge next to reception, which had an excellent wide-screen TV and comfortable sofas.

Food here is excellent, both for breakfast and for dinner. At breakfast, check out the Kippers and the Eggs Benedict, although the "full English" is a treat too. For dinner, Steak and Kidney Pudding is great, as is the fish. The conservatory is a nice place for breakfast, especially if the sun is flooding in. For dinner, the older parts of the pub are more inviting, especially next to the big open fires in cold weather.

Some small negative points - the shower in the bathroom was pretty "weedy" - low pressure and not enough water (use the bath!). Also coffee at breakfast is doled out one smallish cup at a time, which means asking for refills a lot - by contrast tea is handed out in a pot. Oh - and dont expect much in the way of an internet connection if you bring a laptop - The Crown is still in the stone age of dialup connections - no broadband here....

We would certainly stay at The Crown again next time we're in this part of Suffolk.

Prefect holiday treat

by TripAdvisor Member happyholidays47

Went for a two day holiday break as a special birthday treat as I had seen this hotel when we were last in Suffolk. Everything was excellent !!! The staff were helpful and friendly and the rooms were beautiful both extremely comfortable and very clean. The restaurant served local produce when they could and breakfast was what an english breakfast should be ! I'm glad the weather was kind to us as I could then have a long walk to try and burn off some of the calories I had no doubt accrued. The hotel is in a small village that is perfectly placed to visit both the coast and inland tourist spots. We love this part of England and we will definately be using this hotel as a base the next time we are in the area. Thank you to all the staff for making it a memorable birthday !!!

A Crown Experience.

by TripAdvisor Member charlesnicholas

My wife and I had never travelled to Suffolk and were recommended The Crown by a friend. We took ourselves and our dog for a long week-end (Friday - Monday) and enjoyed an extremely pleasant and rewarding week-end. From the time we arrived until the time of departure we experienced the courtesies of a warm, friendly and highly professional staff. Our room was beautifully appointed, well furnished and extremely comfortable. The food was excellent and despite prior considerations to eat elsewhere we enjoyed Dinner every evening at The Crown. I have no reservations in recommending this establishment.

OK

by TripAdvisor Member hafgrape

We stayed at the Crown for a long weekend. We paid for a "best" room which was well decorated and contemporary. However we've stayed in better for the price.

We didn't eat in the restaurant as it was very busy and we didn't want to reserve - so can't comment on the food.

The food at breakfast was lovely but the service was slow for example we didn't get offered any second coffees, we had to ask for the juice to be replaced, we had to ask for bowls for the buffet table.

The location of the Crown is lovely and other that the comments above we had a lovely stay. I'd recommend it if you get a good value price.

Comments