Tortworth, GL12 8HH, United Kingdom

Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 32% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• yurxlnc's Profile Photo

very nice

I only stayed one night. The double room cost 100 GBP for bed and breakfast. It was very comfortable.
    Breakfast is served from 6.30-10.00am on weekdays and 7.30-10.30 at weekends at Moreton's Restaurant. Lunch is available on Sundays from 1.00-4.00pm, and dinner Monday- Friday 6.30-10.00pm, Saturday 6.00-10.00pm, Sunday 7.00-9.30pm.. A good 3 course meal costs about 30 GBP.
    There is the Orangery Restaurant open for lunch Tuesday - Sunday 12.30-2.30pm , and dinner from 7.00-10.00 pm Tuesday -Saturday.

A leisure centre is also available.

Unique Quality: It is a huge Victorian mansion. The owners made their fortune in tea. During the war it was used as a hospital. It has since been restored and made into a hotel . It is also a botanic garden, and a paradise for those interested in plants..
    The dining room is panelled with mahogany and the walls are shelved containing a vast collection of books.
    There are several very nice lounges and bars. The upper lounge gives a panoramic view of the whole area.

More about Tortworth Court

Tortworth Court - ok, but probably wouldn't return

by TripAdvisor Member colmirl

The Tortworth Court hotel, as a building is quite stunning as you approach it. However, this main part of the hotel does not contain all the rooms - most of them are in other parts of the complex.

All the staff I encountered were really friendly, and while my room wasn't ready at check-in, my bags were delivered by the concierge later and were waiting for me. The room itself was disappointing - I've had better in lower class hotels. It just seemed rather lacklustre, and the little things let it down - like the extremely cheap and nasty toilet rolls.

The grounds were stunning, but without good weather they would not be quite as impressive.

To sum up - it's a nice hotel, with nice staff - but not a great hotel, and certainly not totally worth the prices it charges. It's ok for a night, but I certainly wouldn't spend much longer there.

Botanic Gardens

by yurxlnc

The Botanic Gardens at Tortworth House are excellent. In autumn the trees are a blaze of colour. It is very relaxing to walk around and enjoy the natural beauty of the gardens with its mature trees..

Tortworth - Good & The Bad.....

by TripAdvisor Member Suffolkboy1

My wife, daughter and I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights in April - having stayed several times before... so we had a good idea what to expect and were not let down. On the positive side the Hotel, leisure club and grounds were great. As we have come to expect, the service and staff attitudes were not so great. We were looking forward to lunch in the Atrium - but on all days of our stay it was closed off for a corporate event - although we were not advised of this when booking. We also asked and expected to get a decent table by a window at least on one night of our stay - but were told none were available - it seems locals book the restaurant and get table preference to hotel gusts - which seems very unfair. But my biggest gripe, as on every other occasion we have stayed, was that we were overcharged - this time by over £100. Overcharged once ok possibly an error, twice looking slapdash - but four visits in a row?

In summary it's a great building and location - service is never better than average and you have to be assertive with the staff to get that! And remember check your bill. With a bit more attention to service this Hotel could be great all round..

Loved it

We have just returned from a fantastic weekend at Tortworth Court. The grounds are beautiful and staff were ever so friendly and helpful. We arrived around midday which was a little before check in, but that gave us time to indulge in some beauty treatments & have a spot of lunch. Each evening, both food and service during dinner was excellent. On our first evening we dined in the Library Restaurant and on our second evening the Italian Orangery Restaurant. Both were equally superb.

We had a warm welcome when we arrived and felt looked after throughout our weekend. I will definately stay again and advise Tortworth Court to anybody looking for a pleasant and relaxing break away.

Terrible food, terrible service

by TripAdvisor Member sonjaandrob

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a long weekend stay at Tortworth Court. All I can say is, what a disappointment.
We arrived on Friday evening and whilst check-in was quick and hassle-free, the staff on reception seemed quite miserable and as though they had better things to be doing than look after us.
The room itself was amazing and I can honestly say I don't think I've stayed in nicer accommodation.
We went down for tea at 7.45pm in Moreton's restaurant. The dining room is massive but a little on the cold side. We were shown to our table by one of the male staff. 25 minutes later and nobody had been to even order our drinks. My boyfriend ended up getting up to tell them in the end.
Then came the meals! For starters I had the mozzarrella salad which was nice but my other half had the chicken and tarragon soup which he said was only luke warm and had soggy croutons as though it had been left standing for ages. We both had pork for our main meal which was almost cold when it arrived, as were the bowl of vegetables and roast potatoes. neither was there any sign of the apple sauce and red wine jus which was supposed to accompany the meal. After two mouthfuls I left mine and hoped dessert would be better. Pretty average. I had treacle tart which had obviously been left in a fridge for ages because it was very cold and hard and my boyfriend had the chocolate and orange cake which he said was OK.
After this terrible dining experience we decided to down-grade to bed and breakfast as opposed to dinner bed and breakfast.
On returning to our room tired and annoyed we were greeted by loud base music coming from the wedding down below. It was unbearably loud so we asked if we could move rooms as reception said the music would be going on until approx 1am. This was sorted straight away and we were moved to another room miles away from reception, which was fine as long as we couldn't hear the music.
On 2 separate occasions I also tried booking a massage with staff at the leisure club but there was never anybody around, despite waiting around for a while. In the end I gave that up as a bad job.
Going back to the food.....breakfast was no joy either. There was a wide selection of cold foods e.g cereals, pastries, fruit, meats and cheeses but the cooked breakfast was self-service from a bain-marie and each time we had it, was only just luke warm.
Overall, our long weekend away turned into a very disappointing few days. I would never stay at Tortworth Court again. And if anybody else has problems with their food, I recommend the White Hart Inn at a little place called Littleton-on-Severn, about 20 mins drive away. We ate there the following day. Superb! Village local with roaring open fire and excellent food. Look it up!

Shame about the service!

by TripAdvisor Member georgia.p

Firstly, the grounds of the hotel are fantastic, as is the building itself. However, Tortworth Court is sadly let down by the service. We stayed in a room at the back of the hotel which appeared to be a disabled room which wasn't a problem except for the fact that the bathroom sink was really low. We also were given very little toilet paper!! The bedroom as a whole was very nice though.
We didn't eat at the hotel at night, but went to breakfast on Sunday morning and waited in a long queue just before 10am, being completely ignored by any hotel staff. Most people in the queue were complaining and eventually someone went and spoke to a member of staff who told him that there were no tables available. I can only assume they meant clean tables, as there were quite a few empty tables in front of us, but they needing cleaning. We all took matters into our own hands and sat at the dirty tables, at which a member of staff eventually came and cleared them (it still took a good 10 minutes for this to happen!). When we eventually were given knives and forks we went to the self-service breakfast to see pale looking sausages and bacon (although the mushrooms were very nice!!) We saw lots of guests having to approach staff to tell them that various things had run out (brown sauce, orange juice, milk, glasses....!). I ate the breakfast and it was OK - my fiance barely had any which is quite note-worthy as he eats anything!!
We asked the hotel staff if we could check out late and they allowed us to do this, and said that we could use the facilities after checking out. However, when we used the gym, I got major static shocks from the treadmill and according to members of the gym, this is quite normal!! The pool was very nice and very quiet which I didn't expect on a weekend.
Overall, the surroundings were great and the staff were helpful when asked but it shouldn't be down to the guests to point things out to them.

Loved this hotel

My husband and 2 daughters have just come back from a 2 night stay at the lovely Tortworth Hotel.
I cannot speak highly of this lovely place.
The food was excellent, pool and spa bath was good fun and most of the time we were the only ones in there.
We had dinner in the Orangery the first night because their was a function taking place in the Library - we were not charged any extra for this. The food was delightful.
The second night we ate in the Library and the food was equally as delightful.
The breakfast was excellent aswell, bacon, eggs, beans, toast, juices, cereal etc. etc.
The room we had was large,clean the bed was super kingside and my children slept on z beds.
You had coffee, tea etc and biscuits in your room.
At £49.00 per person per night and £14.00 per child per night you will find that this is good value for money.
Go ahead and book I promise you will not be disappointed.

Stunning beautiful and I want to go back now!

My husband and I have just returned from this hotel; we stayed for 3nights and would have liked to have stayed longer. We had a lovely room in the main part of the building you do have to pay extra, but for the sort of break we were looking for we thought it was worth the money; the food is good there are two restrants Mortons and the Orangery, the best is the orangery it's a beautiful building made mostly of glass and when you are inside it feels like you are inside a bubble the glass catches the light and the colours dance over your head. It is more expensive to eat here and you would be wise to book well in advance to save dissapointment; we would have eaten here every night but it was booked out for a wedding on the Saturday and closed on the Sunday. Mortons was nice but not as good. The pool is small but ok, I think we may have been lucky as the times we went swimming it was nearly empty more than 10 people in and I think it would be crowded. We had a massage in the beauty rooms very nice the girls we ok but not that smiley; most of the staff were really nice; they employ alot of people who's english is not 100% so be very clear when ordering drinks as my tia maria with ice turned out to be a hot coffee with tia maria....it was actually quite nice. Over all we had a great time for what we needed; peace quiet and pampering. check out their web site for pictures etc

Wotton under Edge

by yurxlnc

I was attending a meeting and was accommodated at Tortworth Court Four Pillars Hotel in this glorious county of Gloucestershire. It was a wonderful place and the surroundings were magnificent. It is situated on the edge of the Cotswolds .The hotel is a magnificent Grade II listed Victorian mansion set in 30 acres of parkland, with an arboretum of over 300 rare and protected trees.

Tortworth Court facadeTortworth Court facade