Armenia Hotels

Our Members Say

Kambuz, Lake Sevan: Near the shore of the lake

My first night in Sevan was in a lousy (and I do not have high pretentions when it comes to sleep!) 25th class “establishment” I certainly will not recommend, except if you like to use your sleeping bag on a dirty mattress (I don’t dare to describe the sheets), in a dirty box called “room”, welcomed by “mafia looking” guys, half asleep (drunk) in a “reception full of smoke and strewn with cigarette butts. . . . Well, I found that very “couleur locale”, but decided after the first night, checking at least three times during the night my door was well closed when I heard people walking past with loudly laughing “ladies”, to find something where at least I could sleep quietly. The only good thing with that “establishment was that is was located at the very end of the city, somewhere under the Sevanavank church, on the slopes of the hill, with an open view over the lake.
So, I decided to look near the beach, where I found the Kambuz; nice, clean, quiet, a bit expensive for what it offers. Good breakfast (and good coffee!) on a pergola covered terrace. . . Except at the breakfast, the staff is invisible. . .

• Related to: Eco-Tourism, Backpacking, Arts and Culture
  • Written June 16, 2013

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Lalaner, Sisian: Best choice, probably....

There are three hotelsin Sisian, and not a lot of tourists visit this small city set in the remote region of Syunik in the Lesser Caucasus. After leaving the minibus, I walked to the main square and spotted Lalaner on the left; I decided to go there, and I think my choice was not bad. A nice lady welcomed me and gave me choice of the room I wanted, as it seemed the hotel was empty. I remember there was no hassle with ID or passport, filling lots of papers, giving proof I could pay, etc. . unusual in an ex-Soviet country.
The room was clean, had TV, warm shower and the breakfast was generous (except coffee, as usual).
There was a chessboard in the lobby, but no players. . . . and it seems there is a sauna; I did not ask for it. I spent two very quiet nights there. The hotel is centrally located and a good starting point for a short visit to the city and surroundings.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Eco-Tourism
  • Written June 11, 2013

Hotel Shirak: Soviet style in city center

Soviet style is not always dull and boring!
I dropped from the taxi at the Republic Square in Erevan and decided to have a beer at a café terrace I spotted under the shade of trees; I asked the waitress if she knew about a hotel nearby, trying to give her to understand I wanted something like the opposite of the Marriot which was on the other side of the street, not something expensive. She indicated me to walk the street going south west and turn right after 100 m, I would find something. After the beer I walked down, turned and spotted soon a high building in typical soviet architecture: Hotel Shirak.
The lady at the reception was like a western caricature of a soviet babushka, not really smiling, unwilling to speak English, did not want to give a room without reservation. . . but after some negotiation and smiles I got a room for 20000 Dram/night (approx 40 Euros), including buffet breakfast.
I stayed there 3 nights and came back after my trip to Sisian.
Long dark corridors are reached after a scaring trip in the elevator which decides where it stops, not you, despite pressing frenetically on the floor number button. . . .
My room above Kirov Park was clean comfortable with all what a traveller needs. On the seventh floor I had nice views over the park, could see the mosque, and sunrises over the Ararat; only bad thing: the balcony was a bit scary (see picture) and I was not eager of leaning on the guardrail!
If useless luxury is not your “thing”, you will find the breakfasts excellent (except the coffe), with plenty of choice at the buffet, set in a nice and kitschy decorated room.
For me it was a luxury stay, specially after the days I spent in my tent in the mountains.

• Related to: Eco-Tourism, Historical Travel, Arts and Culture
  • Written June 11, 2013

MARRIOTT: WORTH IT?

The Marriott actually forms part of the 4 corners of Republic Square. Its an ornate building on the outside, but a bit cramped on the inside. I stayed nearby and went for a look. I can't say I was blown away except by the prices they wanted for a room. Considering there is no indoor pool, I can't see justification for charging double the price of some other hotels - with an indoor pool - just a couple of blocks away. I must say I did like their 'public' toilets that were still upstairs and away from the lobby. The lobby itself was white. small and sterile. I have listed some of the amenities below, but for the money you could find a hotel with much more character, exciting facilities and pay less.

I love Marriott, but not this one.

WHAT THEY HAVE

ROOMS
• Coffee/tea facilities
• ‘Internet’ at a hefty $25 a day – no mention of Wi-Fi on the website – good luck!
• Mini-bar and water – all for a fee
• Ironing board and steam iron, safe, closet
• Air-conditioning
• Alarm clock
• Rooms look pokey on the website

RESTAURANTS AND BARS
• Cucina – Italian restaurant
• Armenia Brasserie – International (breakfast only)
• Scoop – Ice cream

BUSINESS FACILITIES
• 9 rooms, some huge
• No mention of Wi-fi

LOBBY
• Coffee and tea (I never saw it!)

CAR PARKING
• Free !

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Luxury Travel, Business Travel, Spa and Resort
  • Written August 24, 2012

• AnnaHermans profile photo AnnaHermans
  • Reviews: 155

Ruzanna's bed & breakfast: Lots of delicious food

We stayed in this homestay in a rural area of Armenia. The hostess is a great cook and afraid you might feel a little hungry. The family is warm and helpfull. The daughters speak english very well. The house is clean, the room is not so big.

The hostess can see your future in your coffee.

• Related to: Castles and Palaces, Budget Travel, Hiking and Walking
  • Written July 31, 2012

• AnnaHermans profile photo AnnaHermans
  • Reviews: 155

Olympia hotel: View over the gorge of Razdan river

A nice hotel, 10 0r 15 minute minute walk from the metrostation (not 5!!) Barekamutyun with good airco, very helpfull and friendly and good English speaking receptionists. Clean bathroom. Only minus is that wifi overthere is working too slow.

Go down Kievyan street and take the last street right before the bridge, very steep 1 minute up.

The persons working in the hotel are great.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Museum Visits, Budget Travel
  • Written July 31, 2012

EREBUNI HOTEL: PERFECTLY PLACED IN YEREVAN

The Erebuni is almost right in Independence Square. It is essential joined to one of the 4 main building forming the square. You just turn left outside the entrance and the archway you go through is the square itself. The main Post Office just on the right as you enter the square. In terms of exploration and orientation – you are in the center of everything. Reception was friendly, the hotel is spotlessly clean and my room was great. They also do food, but I have seen a review where this is not recommended. With every bar and restaurant an easy walk nearby, this is a good base for everything you could need.

My room was good sized, had a comfortable bed, some toiletries, satellite TV with CNN, mini-bar and some other good amenities. It also had the most massive shower I have ever seen in a hotel and plenty of hot water.

This is an excellent choice for business people, anyone in Yerevan for a short time or anyone on a medium budget. Bizarrely they DO NOT take credit cards. They have seasonal rates, so you may want to review their website.

In the middle of everything in Yerevan.

• Related to: Disabilities, Women's Travel, Family Travel
  • Written June 11, 2012

EREBUNI HOTEL - YEREVAN

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

PAREV INN (PAREV DOON): THE NICEST PLACE I NEVER STAYED AT !

I highly recommend that you stay with these super-nice folks. Do to an error on my part, I was not able to actually stay with them. When I showed up in Yerevan and rang them, I found out I had forgotten to email them my confirmation when I arrived in Yerevan. Within seconds they had negotiated a good hotel at the same rate. In effect they had taken swift and great care of me even though I did not end up being one of their guests.

Parev Inn is owned by a Canadian-Armenian couple and is near the Yeritasardakan Metro Station. They are easily contactable by email or telephone and, of course, speak English.

They are really nice and helped me when I really needed them.

Thanks nice Parev People!

PLEASE NOTE: These great pictures were actually provided to me by the folks at Parev. I told you they were nice!

They list as as standard:

European standard Bathrooms (no surprises), Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, Hair dryer, Soap & Shampoo, Rooms are cleaned everyday and the towels are changed. Bed Linen is changed every other day They do serve breakfast as well to get you off to a good start on your day..

• Related to: Budget Travel, Singles, Backpacking
  • Written April 11, 2011

BRIGHT WHITES !

• Sambawalk profile photo Sambawalk
  • Reviews: 1601

Anahit Stepanyan Homestay: Budget Homestay in Yerevan

I stayed at Anahit Stepanyan Homestay for 3 nights while I was in Yerevan. I tried Gayane Simonyan Hoestay but it was full. Anahit Avedisyan homestay in the same building block (but next entrance) was closed.

The daughter, I think, of Anahit Stepanyan was very friendly and speaks excellent English. I got sofabed by the window in a room with only 2 other guys. Spacious and alright. Toilet is clean with kitchen facilities when you can make coffee tea. The building is right on the main street of 5 Sayat-Nova Poghota Apt 25. The map in the LP guide is incorrect as it shows it is located next to Pub Che. Call them ahead to reserve.

I paid 5,500AMD (Jul 09).

• Written September 5, 2009

Anahit Stepanyan Homestay

• xenab2 profile photo xenab2
  • Reviews: 2

Dili Villa: Multi-lingual Haven

Dili Villa was a welcome respite in what had become an adventure into the unknown where language was our ultimate barrier. We found this wonderful spot through the Lonely Planet Guide ... one of the few entries of use in this otherwise out of date book.

Dili Villa rests beside a pothole festooned road, on a hill overlooking the small town of Dilijan. It is run by a husband and wife team who between them speak smatterings of French, German and English, as well as their native tongue. Mr. Ghazaryan runs the local Art Museum and as well as restoring old artwork, is a somewhat accomplished artist in his own right.

The house is warm and welcoming, full of little nooks and crannies filled with interesting pieces of artwork. We were welcomed with sweet tea and local pastries. Our room came with a balcony that overlooked the town, lovely for watching the day come to a close while sipping a beer a playing some cards.

Our hosts also acted as guides around the local area, taking us to some of the oldest and most beautiful heritage sites Armenia has to offer. A roadside restaurant up the road makes some of the best Kharovats to be found in the country too.

Welcoming, Warm, Comfortable, Clean .... home away from home

• Related to: Budget Travel, Architecture, Archeology
  • Written March 22, 2009

Our wonderful Dilijan hosts

• photonina profile photo photonina
  • Reviews: 35

Envoy hostel: envoy hostel

I'd say my neighbours armenians should be proud to have such a place in there capital city! It's only for 20 USD a night. and you get clean rooms, hot shower, really helpful staff!.. free internet... oh and breakfast :)
they'll give you all the useful info that you might need, help you to plan your daytrips... how to get, where to get, how much it will cost etc.
I'd really recomend this place to everyone..

it's in the center.
people there are extremely helpful!
nice space downstears for having conversation with other travelers while drinking (free) coffee/tea or use computer.

• Related to: Backpacking, Historical Travel
  • Written December 14, 2008

• Vigor70 profile photo Vigor70
  • Reviews: 2

Mirhav Hotel in Goris: Nice and Clean

We had to stay in a hotel in Goris in our way back to Iran. We looked for some hotels but there was just three hotels and the best one was Mirhav hotel. We were four person so we got a double room with breakfast for 100 dollars. It had big rooms and beds with very clean bathroom.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written June 15, 2008

• DovoftheGalilee profile photo DovoftheGalilee
  • Reviews: 39

Envoy Hostel: The Best Hostel in the Caucus

The place is immaculately clean, cost affordable and a cheerful staff. Always hot-water in clean bathrooms, cheap Internet service and a fully equipped kitchen open to all the guests.

I really appreciated that the place was run by Born Again Christians and the hostel radiated Christ's love. Check out the web site !

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Religious Travel
  • Written May 11, 2007

• JohnniOmani profile photo JohnniOmani
  • Reviews: 552

Flats in Yerevan: Renting a flat

Renting an apartment in Yerevan is pretty common according to the travellers I met as well as the tourist information office in the capital. The prices skyrocketted in the last few years but the rates are still decent. Homestays actually prefer you to stay for a long period so they can be more financially stable but hotels will offer discounts as well. $45 a day will get you a great place in Yerevan while over $60 will get you something top notch. Some travellers said they were renting for around $14 a day in a homestay and they loved it because they were using it as a base to explore and poke around for a month. Some websites that arrange rentals are:

www.hyurservice.com, www.visitarm.com and www.yerevanrentals.com

You can use the city as a base because Armenia has a ton of great day trips :0

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written February 6, 2007

• JohnniOmani profile photo JohnniOmani
  • Reviews: 552

Armenian Accommodation: An Overview

The capital city has a decent range of budget places ranging from $9 US to $20 US a night. Yerevan has what you may expect of a big city with four and five star hotels scattered around the city but for travellers like me (always on a budget) these buildings ie Marriott etc are like landmarks that I pass while going to see the sights. Many people I met while in the country were renting flats in the capital and exploring from there. Outside Yerevan there is a handful of impressive new hotels and some comfortable homestays and B&Bs. Most towns have Soviet era hotels with the typical rusty pipes and economy rooms. The guidebooks offer some cheap options that despite being more expensive than mentioned are still good quality.

Homestays are a great way to get a feel for life in Armenia but they obviously have pros and cons such as curfews and set rules. Overall, they do the job.

• Written February 6, 2007