Best Eastern Hotel Valensia Yerevan

Yereven to Tbilisi travel help

by cessna152

Hi,

I need help!

I have booked a trip taking in the sights of Yerevan and Tbilisi, and after some meticulous planning, saw me take a mixture of airlines and sectors to take me from Doha, Qatar to Dubai (Qatar Airlines) Dubai - Yerevan (Armavia) then onwards to Tbilisi direct (Armavia) then finally back to Doha (via Dubai) with Air Zena/Qatar Airways.

I paid for all these flights, boooked my hotels and then out of the blue received an email from Armavia cancelling my Yerevan - Tbilisi flight. Bugger!

And so now I'm trying to scrabble around to find an alernative way of getting myself to Tbilisi to catch up with the rest of the trip.

I've found 3 options:

OPTION 1: FLY: Aerosvit Airlines fly (via Kiev) one way price: $600!!!!!
OPTION 2: TRAIN (overnight leaving at 7pm on even days of the month)
OPTION 3: Hire a taxi driver to take me to the Armenian border, then walk across the border and hire another taxi driver to take me to Tbilisi.

OPTION 2 sounds my best best.

But here's the thing.

1- I don't speak Armenian or Georgian (but I can just about read Cyrillic) and so would I flouder at trying to arrange this train?

2- Will it be possible to hire a 2-berth sleeper compartment just for me (i.e. pay for two people)

3 - Will I get hassle aboard this train?

4 - How much will it cost and how soon do I have to arrive at the station to get the train?

5. I'm travelling on 20th February 2011 - I assume this won't be that busy?

6. I'm a UK passport holder - so what will the Georgian border be like for me>

Any help with any of this will be greatly appreciated!

Regards

Jason

by nhoolb

I found, on several dates in January, a one-way fare for 328 Euros but via Moscow DME and Baku. If you are interested I can send you the booking details and fare construction to your email here.

About a two-berth compartment for one (paying for the two berths)-that's what I always did in Ukraine (even sometimes paying for the 4 berths in the 4-person compartment). Never had a problem with that and I think it will be the same there.

Other questions....sorry. Others will come in, I hope.

by Fluffy_bunny

Firstly, neither Armenia nor Georgia use Cyrillic script. There are plenty of buses both large and mini-bus versions that do the trip numerous times a day in half the time the train takes. They are cheap and easy. 8 hours, $20 for the central bus station in Yerevan. Departures are in the morning one around 8, another around 10.

by cessna152

I think the bus is sounding my best bet. Thanks.

by Doctor38

look at my notes of the trip I made by bus and train. I don't speak either languages

also look at my Tbilisi page

Travel Tips for Yerevan

Local Tours

by flynboxes

I was going to book with Tatev Travel as it was recomended here...problem was that they dont run tours year round. I was there around the end of April and they're first tour did not start till May 1st. Hyur Service runs daily tours year round. This is a full service tour co. so they can also find you a hotel..etc you name it. The guide spoke perfect english and was very helpful. The best thing I liked was the price as a day trip to the local sights ran around 35 USD without lunch. The only down side is that if you want to eat with them they will take you to one of the over priced tourist traps next to a church or other historic sight.
The guides will provide free bottled water and sweet buns to snack on so that might hold you over if tight on $$$$. Email www.hyurservice.com or call them at 50 40 40 and the main office is locacted on Nalbandyan St. on the left side if heading down from Tumanyan St. I was only here for a few days. While I would not recomend a city tour since it is more fun to explore on your own this is a cheap and easy way to see the stuff outside of the city...much cheaper than renting a car.

Internet

by flynboxes

There are small cafe's all over the place if you look. The Information office has a few computers but they have a slow dial up line and they sent me to a place in the Russian Cinema building since it is open late and the information office closes at 7pm. You can't miss the place as it is located on the right hand side of Abovyan St. if you head up from Republic Square.

Zvartnots Cathedral

by MalenaN

Zvartnots Cathedral is situated along the Yerevan - Echmiadzin road, only 3 km from Echmiadzin. The church and the patriarchal palace are in ruins, but you can see that this church looked different from other churches in Armenia. It was a round church with a high dome, and it is supposed to have been the largest round church in the world when it was constructed in the middle of the 7th century. During the 10th century it was destroyed by an earthquake and Arab invaders.
Today you can see finely carved stone pillars and other decorated stone fragments, the pool for baptism and remnants of a palace and winery. In the Armenian History Museum you can see a model of how the church once looked.
In the background you can see Mount Ararat, and occasionally airplanes as the international airport is nearby.
Together with Eechmiadzin, Zvartnots is an Unesco World Heritage Site.
Entrance fee is 1000 drams (August 2006).

Poplavok and Aragast

by kr_en about Poplavok and Aragast

These are actually two restaurants in a ship immitation near a pond just one block north from Sayat-Nova street, so it can still be considered central. If you enter from the Isahakian street, you'll most likely enter an upstairs Aragast, if you approach from the pond you'll likely end at Poplavok. Both restaurants mainly serve drinks ands ice cream and also food. Whichevere you go into, you'll get an extensive wide range menu, Poplavok even has a special section about Armenian food. Prices are moderate not higher than any similar Yerevan restaurant, the service is quite good plus you can enjoy a view to the pond. No language problems if you speak Russian or English. At both of them I took a main dish without soup but with an Armenian beer and both times it cost less than approx. 2000 drams (4$)

A wonder-tree

by R-men

There is a wonder-tree in the territory of Tsitsernakaberd Memorial (see my previous Must-see Activity" comment). An apricot tree grows right on the trunk of a poplar!!! This kind of coexistence is against the laws of the nature, however it's a fact. The poplar grows all by itself, and the apricot tree feels good, too. It even gives fruits!

Visit Tsitsernakaberd in June to see that wonder-tree, taste it's apricots and enjoy the shade of the poplar! :-)

Unfortunately I don't have the photo of it, but today it was on TV.

Comments