Shirak Hotel Yerevan

Tags

Historical Travel Backpacking Arts and Culture
See Amenities
kokoryko's Profile Photo

Soviet style in city center

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 11, 2013

Soviet style is not always dull and boring!
I dropped from the taxi at the Republic Square in Erevan and decided to have a beer at a café terrace I spotted under the shade of trees; I asked the waitress if she knew about a hotel nearby, trying to give her to understand I wanted something like the opposite of the Marriot which was on the other side of the street, not something expensive. She indicated me to walk the street going south west and turn right after 100 m, I would find something. After the beer I walked down, turned and spotted soon a high building in typical soviet architecture: Hotel Shirak.
The lady at the reception was like a western caricature of a soviet babushka, not really smiling, unwilling to speak English, did not want to give a room without reservation. . . but after some negotiation and smiles I got a room for 20000 Dram/night (approx 40 Euros), including buffet breakfast.
I stayed there 3 nights and came back after my trip to Sisian.
Long dark corridors are reached after a scaring trip in the elevator which decides where it stops, not you, despite pressing frenetically on the floor number button. . . .
My room above Kirov Park was clean comfortable with all what a traveller needs. On the seventh floor I had nice views over the park, could see the mosque, and sunrises over the Ararat; only bad thing: the balcony was a bit scary (see picture) and I was not eager of leaning on the guardrail!
If useless luxury is not your “thing”, you will find the breakfasts excellent (except the coffe), with plenty of choice at the buffet, set in a nice and kitschy decorated room.
For me it was a luxury stay, specially after the days I spent in my tent in the mountains.

Old soviet style hotel

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 21, 2013

Very bad hotel. Extremely unprofessional staff and feels like soviet union in there.

Unique Quality: 1. Stuff was very unprofessional and unfriendly, especially the receptionist.
2. You're allowed to have guests by only for one hour a day.
3. There were ants in the room, running around and ruining any food one kept in the room
4. The building was very old and ugly
5. There was construction going on, so one could hear very loud noise from morning till late evening even by closed windows
6. They didn't change the towels or clean up the room for ages.
Overall a terrible experience with the hotel, these were just the key points.

Terje1966's Profile Photo

Old russian style hotel.

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 11, 2010

Rooms were ok. Breakfast boring. Elevator was extremely small. Location is good. Close to republic square. Friendly staff. Would have been a nice view of Ararat from the balcony if it was`nt for the clouds.

flynboxes's Profile Photo

An older Russian

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 8, 2008

Well.... was going to stay at a homestay Johnny Omani recomended but my trip was a bit last minute and did not get a chance to confirm a room. My flight got in at 4 am from Prague and after clearing Imigration and Customs at the airport I did not feel like waiting much in the city to chech my email to look for the homestay. Anyway this is a typical Russian hotel as far as I am concerned. The service is not going to win any awards but they do speak a bit of english at the front desk and they have a tour office to arrange tours that opens up in the business office on Tuesdays which was a day late for me.

Unique Quality: Bathroom was spotless even though my air con did not work. The elevators are a bit old and small. I wondered if the cable was going to snap as one of them jerked up and down when it came to my floor. Overall if you need a place to stay it is good for a night even though I think a homestay would be a better use of money. The Meg Hotel is the same price and a better value if you want a hotel.

Directions: 5 min south of the Marriot

• Business Services
  • Pets Allowed
  • Free High Speed Internet

Yerevan Travel Forum

Need advice about Yerevan, Armenia? Visit the Travel Forum for Yerevan and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Yerevan hotel reviews