Jaffar Jabbarli 42, Baku, AZ 1000, Azerbaijan
Booking.com eDreams

Satisfaction Average

More about Baku

AzatlikAzatlik

Horsehead oil pumps (locals call it noding donkey)Horsehead oil pumps (locals call it noding donkey)

monument of great "aliev"monument of great "aliev"

Haydar Aliyev PalaceHaydar Aliyev Palace

Going to baku!

by j0h4n

So, im going to baku to study for a couple of years. Now I need to find a flat. Someone told me to go to bakurealestate.net but they havent replied and I have emailed them twice. I dont know if they are serious or not.

How can I find a flat in baku? With furniture. I dont want to pay more then 700 dollar per month and im willing to sign up for 1 year contract.

What should I do? Thanks, Johan

by maelkux

Dear Johan,
Try to visit some websites or forums of cultural anthropologists - we (not me personally:) do some field research also in Azerbaijan and we usually stay at folks' flats so just search for CA and ask them to help you in good contacts. I'll ask my friends who worked there but it'll take some time.
You can also search for missionaries if you don't mind there company. I've heard they also help to find accommodation.
And...a little suggestion at the end: you asked here whether bakurealestate.net are serious or not - please consider putting your name, country in VT profile - we also do not know whether you're serious...;) don't get upset of my suggestion, take it as a serious joke:))
Greets,
Anna
(fresh in VT but with name and address:)

by j0h4n

Plz, my euro´s dont lie. I have emailed bakurealestate and called them, but phone is off.

I have googled and googled but havent found *** yet. Sucks. Any locals in here who can help out? I need to go to baku within 10 days..

by Nuclei

There were rental flats with furniture around Dom Soviet and Absheron Hotel. I will write you back if I remember the name.

by stive_oconnel

Hello!
I have traveled to Azerbaijan, Baku already several times during this year, cos my girlfriend lives there...and we always rented the apartments through www.bakurealestate.net agency…Once I decided to apply to other agency just to compare and then I was very disappointed by prices and service : (((… so, Bakurealestate.net is real and serious agency and moreover their prices are the cheapest in Baku…I just came back from Baku a week ago and they also had given me their international phone number to reach them even if they are out of Azerbaijan (as far as i know, they travel a lot to different conferences around the world during a year)...probably, they are again out of Azerbaijan...if you want, write to my private email and I will give you their additional international number …

i know

i travel to Baku is rea

Travel Tips for Baku

Respect religion

by kensa70

Even thought the Azeri people are very friendly, remember that most of them are muslims, and their faith is serious business. Respect their religion, their holy places and their religious hollidays. (This is just common sence, but I anyway feel that it need to be said)

No tent, no backpacking!

by Minashka

Any luggage is fine, don't go too fancy though. Have a comfortable backpack so you can carry your camera, water, mapc, etc. around. Baku is a windy city. Always good to bring a wind-breaker. Summers can get very humid and hot. So bring along your hat and some sun-screen (although locally available). You can find just about anything in Baku, but there is no Advil or Vaseline Intensive Care. So if you're used to a particular type of medicine or toiletry, just bring it with you. Very hard to find disposable cameras, but films and batteries are cheap and available. You won't really find a shop in Baku that sells this type of gear. If you're going backpacking, bring all that is necessary with you. Especially tents and all. You can find just about anything you want/need in Baku but you may not be happy with the price or the quality. I recommend that you bring whatever it is that you think maybe useful and don't think twice.

Average Italian

by Nuclei about Philarmony

This is the Italian restuarant belongs to Azerbaijan State Philarmony.
It looks better from outside but inside is also not that bad. It was Sunday afternoon with "all you can eat" service. Pizza was average. Nothing special. Average Italian.

The Government House

by Minashka

This magnificent building is known as "Domsoviet" among the locals. The architect of this edifice is Mikail Husseinov and it was built by German war prisoners during and a bit after the WWII. It is perfectly located on the Liberty Square surrounded by two Soviet style hotels across the street from the Bulvar (seaside promenade). The building hosts some government agencies and ministries although I'd like to see it turn into some kind of hotel like Kempinski... by the way, my apt window is overlooking this building so if you're anywhere near, feel free to drop by!

Coolest carpets

by Minashka

State Carpet Museum is definitely worth a visit! It is in the building with big columns across the street from the Boulevard where the Lenin museum used to be. Entrance fee for foreigners is about $5 and beware of the $1 fee for EVERY picture taken. The carpets on display are absolutely gorgeous though! You will see flat-woven carpets, national costumes, carpets from Guba, Shirvan, Garabagh, Gazakh-Genje, and Tebriz schools. There are carpets from the 17th to early 20th centuries. For the price of $20 you can even put on a national Azeri costume and have your professional picture taken with old carpets in the background :)

Comments