Akhalts'ikhe Hotels

• Hanka profile photo Hanka
  • Reviews: 49

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

GINO Wellness Rabath: 4-Star Spa Hotel in Akhaltsikhe's Rabati Fortress

A large group of us stayed at hotel "GINO Wellness Rabath" in May 2013, which is supposed to be a four-star spa hotel. The hotel had just opened in April so everything was brand new and looked wonderful, however, there were some minor problems that needed to be fixed, such as sinks not being fully fastened to counter-tops or glass shower walls not having silicone sealant at the floor allowing water to spread across half of the bathroom floor. A towel placed next to the shower wall prevented the water from spreading far. Otherwise, the rooms were attractive and clean with hard floors (tile that looked like wood). Each room, as far as I could tell, has a large arched glass doorway to a balcony with two chairs and a table. Heavy cotton spa robes were folded neatly on the beds. There were plenty of towels (no washcloths), and small toiletry items. The restaurant served a very good Georgian dinner followed by tiramisu and breakfast was plentiful. The people at the front desk spoke English (to varying degrees) and were very pleasant and very apologetic if something went wrong. They were delighted to have us and really wanted us to return. If you're in Akhaltsikhe and can afford a more expensive room, you really should check this place out. For now, this is the only hotel I'll be using in this area. The spa is perfect after a day of hiking Borjormi National Park or climbing through the caves in Vardzia.

First of all, hotel "GINO Wellness Rabath" is located INSIDE Rabati fortress, with beautiful views and no street noise. Secondly, it is a spa hotel with a variety of really beautiful saunas and spa pools--a Finnish sauna, a salt steam sauna, an herbal steam sauna, a cold dunking pool, some pools to soak your feet in, and a party-sized whirlpool, to name a few attractions. These rooms are not just functional; they are decorated in tile or natural wood to be appealing to the eyes. There were men's and women's locker rooms where you change from your clothes to a towel that you get from the check-in desk--either a thin sheet-like towel or a thick, colored towel, if you prefer. Use of the spa is free for hotel guests, 30 GEL for outside visitors for 2 hours. They also have a masseuse and massage room with a real massage table. A full-body massage was 80 GEL. The hotel has two suites and 36 standard rooms, ranging from 125 GEL for a single to 315 GEL for a two-storey apartment. Some rooms are connected for family stays. Children up to 6 years old stay for free. The rooms have a mini-bar refrigerator, hair dryer, flat screen TV, free wireless Internet, feather quilts on really firm beds, really thick pillows (too thick for me), and wonderful light-blocking drapes. The hotel also has a bar, restaurant, and conference room.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Spa and Resort, Castles and Palaces
  • Written June 2, 2013
Tip Photo

Hotel "GINO Wellness Rabath", Akhaltsikhe, Georgia

• maykal profile photo maykal
  • Reviews: 1360

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Meskheta Hotel

The old woman munching on a sandwich at reception nearly fell off her chair when I walked in and asked for a room. "A room?! Yes, we have one!" and she almost skipped down the long musty corridor to show me. The Meskheta used to be a former Intourist hotel, and hasn't fared terribly well over the years...but that said, the room I was given had comfortable beds, a table and chair to write at (there's very little else to do here!), and the bathroom had a shower in it. I was asked to specify when exactly I would be taking my shower, as this necessitated switching something on at reception as well as flicking a switch in the bathroom itself, and waiting a couple of hours for the water to heat up. The old lady was a frequent visitor to my room...she would come knocking at half hour intervals and I had to assume that, because of her age and her air of respectability, she was not trying to throw herself upon me, but I did have to wonder...but luckily for me, it seemed she was more interested in the state of my tap water.

The receptionist was very keen for me to have coffee, and would ask me whenever she saw me. Eventually, I agreed, and she took me to reception to make it in front of me. Made semi-Turkish style, the contraption used is something i will never forget. It was little more than a metal cup with an old wire poking out of it, which she attached to the wall socket by poking the ends in the holes with her fingers. Not quite sure what to call it...maybe a sawn-off kettle?! Anyway, I'd never had Turkish coffee made using Nescafe granules before, but she made it expertly and offered me a couple of fruit toffees to help it down.

Friday night offered entertainment en-suite, as a local bar had karaoke. There seemed to be only two songs available though, one for the women, and the Georgian version of the Russian hit "chorniy bumyer" for the men, which kept me entertained, albeit involuntarily, until power went off just before midnight.

The hotel staff are obviously not used to late risers, as when I eventually surfaced and checked out at around 8.30am, the old lady looked suitably relieved, saying "oh good, we thought you'd died in there!". I assured her I hadn't, paid my 30 Lari and she bade me farewell.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Road Trip, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written September 12, 2005
Tip Photo

Turn right at Queen Tamar...

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful