Kazbegi Hotels

Our Members Say

• kokoryko profile photo kokoryko
  • Reviews: 1779

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

No Name: Pension “Women in black”

I do not remember the name of the “pension” where I stayed in Stepansminda
The tip here is: don’t worry, don’t make reservations, you will have a shelter for the night and coming days and nights.
When the marshroutna (minibus) arrives from Tbilisi at the village place, opposite the local hotel, you will be “welcomed” by half a dozen or more older ladies dressed in black; they do not present you their condolences but propose you a bed and breakfast in their house; I thought it was a good idea not to look too long for accommodation and followed one of these ladies, discussing (well, as far as we could communicate) about rates for room, breakfast, dinner, etc. . ..
I am not good at bargaining and finally came up with 10 Euros per night, breakfast and dinner included.
Do not expect luxury; I was in a big room (be prepared to share) with a comfortable bed, clean, toilet and shower outside across the yard, very light breakfast. . . . and dinners just preventing from starvation, but that was enough! There are probably better pensions in Stepansminda, but I did not choose, and that was all right for me, but there can also be nice surprises as I heard from people I met on the way to the church.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Hiking and Walking, Backpacking
  • Written May 28, 2012
Tip Photo

Don't worry, there are real toilets, too ;)

• MalenaN profile photo MalenaN
  • Reviews: 5140

Vano's Homestay

Vano and his mother Venera are very nice, helpful and welcoming. Their homestay is great. Venera cooks and breakfast and dinner is eaten downstairs. No one leaves the table still hungry.
There is no running water but several buckets of water outside the bathroom. One of the buckets contain drinking water.

A bed, breakfast and dinner was 5 dollars (June 2003). When I was in Tbilisi in 2006 I heard the price was 10 dollars. That is still a good deal as all meals are included.

When I was there Vano had got a job at the Mariot Hotel in Tblisi, as a door man. So he might not always be in Kazbegi.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written May 22, 2006

Nigel and Vano

• maykal profile photo maykal
  • Reviews: 1449

Hotel Stepantsminda

In 2005, I was surprised to find a fairly large modern hotel in the corner of Kazbegi's main square. At first sight, it looked far too expensive for me, and I went in search of an alternative. On the door to a nearby house, I spotted a rough and ready sign saying "Hotel", but knocking on the door got no response. More walking around got me nowhere, so i returned to the big hotel (well, not that big...maybe around 25 rooms on three storeys, but it seemed big in Kazbegi). The girl at reception spoke very good English and showed me to a room...one with a view in fact. It turned out not to be nearly as expensive as I first thought, with a single room for 30 Lari (US$1 = 1.8 Lari), which was roughly the same as in Akhaltsikhe, but this room was of a much higher standard. If I had wanted meals, room and boards would have cost US$30, but according to another guest, meals weren't up to much, so I opted out.

The room had a functioning bathroom (i.e. one where you don't have to hold your nose, play around with the plumbing, or run the risk of being electrocuted when turning on the shower) with permanent hot water, central heating (even in summer, I needed this on), a television (Georgian channels only, but one can't be picky...) and a balcony with a stunning view.

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, Mountain Climbing, Arts and Culture
  • Written February 18, 2006

View from hotel balcony, Kazbegi

• ellielou profile photo ellielou
  • Reviews: 229

Vano's Guesthouse: the first guesthouse listed in the LP

This place was listed in the Lonely Planet (which, if you read my warnings and dangers page for Tbilisi, I do not trust), but I was told by a VTer that it was a great place to stay. It was an interesting place to stay, in the least, but not only was there no hot water, there was no running water. There was also no heat.

However, we got there, tired, hungry, cold--huddled masses that we were--and used the non-flushable toilet, had a hot tea, and was fed bread with sour cream. We talked to Vano. He seemed like an interesting guy (he was fascinating, actually), and decided, hey, we could rough it for one night. It was also very, very cheap, under $3 per person.

Also, we had heard that food was included. Vano's mother, the cook, was away in Tbilisi, and we ended up eating at the neighbor's house. (Frankly, we didn't relish just eating bread and sour cream.) That was an adventure in itself. We were fed bread, cheese, soup, and hot tea. We sat in the center of the living/dining room, while the family sat on the sofa against the wall and silently watched a Mexican soap opera dubbed into Georgian. Now, you don't get that at the Four Seasons now, do you?

No running water. No heat. Picture of Stalin on the wall, near the stereo, and starring at us while we watch BBC World News. Go figure.

• Related to: Architecture, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written October 20, 2006

no caption necessary

• MalenaN profile photo MalenaN
  • Reviews: 5140

Vano's Homestay

Venera is a very kind woman and she takes care of you while you are there. When I was in Kazbegi I had a terrible cough. Both evenings Venera brought me a bucket of hot water for my feet, and a blanket, before going to bed.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written May 22, 2006
Tip Photo

Venera is doing the washing up

• JohnniOmani profile photo JohnniOmani
  • Reviews: 552

Vanos Place: Late Night Conversations

Vanos place is pretty basic and I heard it is quite a popular place on the backpacker trail so I decided to give it is a shot because one he speaks decent English and two it cost me 5 lari or 2.5 us dollars which is tough to beat. The place is worth it for the view on the porch every morning and despite being basic I enjoyed my two nights.

One, you will probably end up in bizaare conversations about religion etc with vano who seems to have a passion for unusual topics but that is one of the reasons I enjoyed it while the 1 million Israelis I met wouldnt agree but who cares it is a matter of perspective. There is no running water and frequent power cuts but that is part of the appeal right? It is bloody cold in October to be prepared and buy snacks before nightime because the shop close late at night. For 5 lari extra, vano will provide you with a delicious meal courtesy of his neighbour making this stay a well known place due to LP but I enjoyed it.

• Written October 29, 2006
Tip Photo

A helpful map I found online

• maykal profile photo maykal
  • Reviews: 1449

Homestay

In 2001, things were quite informal when it came to staying overnight in Kazbegi. The large former Intourist hotel stood deserted at the back of the village, so the only option was to find a local homestay. I was told beforehand to ask the old ladies who run the little kiosks on the main square, but I didn't have to do this myself, as on the minibus journey from Tbilisi, a local started chatting. On arrival, I was taken to her friend who had a guestroom in a simple house in the centre of the village.

Conditions were quite basic, with only cold water from the river available to wash with. Electricity went off early in the evening, but my friendly hosts gave me enough candles for me to look at pictures in their huge book of "Soviet Georgia". Meals again were basic, and quite unusual. Spaghetti with cold raw fish was one evening meal, which probably won't count as my favourite dish of all time, but the memory will stay with me!! My hosts couldn't speak anything but Georgian or Russian, so conversation was limited to whatever I could find in my Georgian Conversation Booklet and hand signals, but they were warm and welcoming, giving me enough blankets at night to keep out the cold. Even in summer, evenings can be extremely chilly, so I can't imagine how it is during the winter when Kazbegi is cut off from the rest of the country by heavy snow on the mountain pass.

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, Road Trip, Arts and Culture
  • Written February 18, 2006
Tip Photo

Typical houses, Kazbegi (not the homestay!)

• JohnniOmani profile photo JohnniOmani
  • Reviews: 552

Nunus Homestay: Good Option

This spot is a good option and even has western toilets which is important when you are in Kazbegi due to the cold weather :) The owner does not speak fluent English but it is not far from the main square making it very easy to find after the bus ride. It is a bit overpriced but prices in the town are apparently raising every year. It cost about $10 US for a night.

Near the main square and it has western toilets and hot water.

• Written December 23, 2006

• DinkaYa profile photo DinkaYa
  • Reviews: 33

Yamze's homestay: Wonderful home stay

When we were at Kazbegi, we intended staying at Nazi (Nasi) Chkalauri's place. But it was overloaded with people, so she called one of her neighbors, who picked us up and we stayed with a wonderful women (Yamze) and her son (Gia).
25 Lari per night per person, which includes 2 meals a day (mainly hachapuri and vegetables) + something to take with you if you go hiking.
Yamze is absolutely wonderful, she tried to feed us to death, she tried pleasing us in any way possible, could not believe that such people still exist. Told us that she is not as good as her parents, because her parents would invite strangers all the time to the house to eat something and she is not practicing that.
She can show you how to make hachapuri if you ask, as well as to milk a cow, which she owns.
She speaks Russian and Georgian, but people can find their way in here house even without speaking the same language - she really tries hard, also we left her an English\Russian dictionary, so you can point to what ever you want to have.
Her son drove us with a car to the Sameba church for free, since it was to late for us to go up by foot and we didn't want to waste any time. He also arranged us a taxi back to Tbilisi for 60 Lari.
They have 2 houses, in one they live and the big one is for rent, the hot shower is in their house as well as the kitchen, their house is about 5 meters away, so if you want to take a shower you have to actually get outside, there is another toilet separately on the grounds, so its not like you have to disturb them if you need to go during the night.
This is Gia's cell phone number: 899407240

The nicest host ever!
There is also a great view from her house, since it is on a hill, to the Sameba church

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written October 6, 2007
Tip Photo

• littlebush profile photo littlebush
  • Reviews: 1285

Taliko: Taliko

when you get off the bus at Kazbegi, the babshkas will be waiting to entice you to their homestay.
I stayed with Taliko, her place was just a 5min walk from teh main street and she had around 4 rooms to rent out.
It cost 30 Lari for a room to myself and breakfast and dinner. Taliko spoke not much english so russian helps.
The food was amazing, huge tasty portions, so big, i couldnt sleep at night.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written September 6, 2013
Tip Photo

• markoni profile photo markoni
  • Reviews: 1

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Marina Pitshelauri's home: Excellent homestay with the best view in town

We were told (and actually driven to) about this homestay by marshrutka driver and were exceptionally pleased with it. Marina is a widow and lives in a nice, large house with her two sons and a daughter-in-law. The family lives in the newer part of the house, while the older (very nice and atmospheric) part is for guests. She can comfortably accomodate 4-5 people, but I presume place will be found for more if needed. The accomodation is not a luxury option, but is more than comfortable and pleasant. There are two toilets - one outside of the house and one in the family's part of the house. Both can be used and both are clean and western style. There is cold running water 24 hours a day, and hot showers can be arranged with prior notice so the water can be heated. Marina and the whole family are excellent hosts and the whole stay there was wonderful, but no English is spoken and you will have to rely on your Russian and Georgian skills. The bed costs 10 lari, or 25 with breakfast and dinner included. Given the tasty Marina's cooking and limited options for eating out in Kazbegi, you should give the second option a serious consideration. Last but not least, the view from the terrace of Marina's house is the best in town. It is worth staying here for this view alone. Final remark: Absolutely recommended!

• Related to: Budget Travel, Hiking and Walking, Mountain Climbing
  • Written August 11, 2007

• beso profile photo beso
  • Reviews: 2

Kazbegi VIP Guest House: Villa Chopika

IT WAS PERFECT!!! i thought i was in the palace. its really excelent. the garden was beautifull, with waterfall!!!, there was swimming pool, Sauna, Bar, also the Guest house had horses, it was very nice to ride horses. the rooms were perfect, with everything, and it was not very expensive.

believe me , if you havent stayed in this Villa, you havent visited Kazbegi

view - excellent
pool - excellent
inside -excellent! excellent! excellent!
meal- perfect

so everythings perfect

• Written September 3, 2007

guest room

• Intrepidduck profile photo Intrepidduck
  • Reviews: 595

Nonna's House: Homestay

Two large rooms, 250m from the centre of town. Hot water and a cosy friendly environment. 15 lari per night per person, plus dinner.

You stay in the home of a large family with the friends and all the relatives comming and going. A real Georgian homestay this is. They can organize a reliable Mercedes and driver to take you on tours of the sarounding valleys and historic sites. 50 lari for one day or 120 lari for 3 days all exclusive.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written August 16, 2004

Holy Trinity Church

• josephescu profile photo josephescu
  • Reviews: 882

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel sign on an ordinary house

The Stepan Sminda hotel in the town square looked tempting, but I decided to try my luck with the locals. I started walking around the main square, and came behind the statue of Alexander Kazbegi there was a small hotel sign on an ordinary house at the crossroad. It proved to be a homestay.

And that was it, a small simple room, 15 lari/night/person, hot water, signs and drawings to communicate as my English proved useless….. In addition, I was offered meals at 10 lari/meal, a little bit expensive, but it finnaly proved a good idea to take them. Not only they were excellent and abundant, but the provisions one can get from the local shops seemed scarce and highly overpriced (because of the distance, I believe).

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written December 1, 2006

• Tobias_Plieninger profile photo Tobias_Plieninger
  • Reviews: 336

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Tip for Kazbegi hotles: Better not stay in Kazbegi

I haven't stayed in Kazbegi.

I did a day trip from Tbilisi.

My friends stayed in Kazbegi.

There is only one option to stay in Kazbegi.

They haven't been satisfied with this.

There was no shower no warm water and no toilet and no electric light.

The price was cheap.