Mts'khet'a Hotels

• HORSCHECK profile photo HORSCHECK
  • Reviews: 2659

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Homestay Gulo Merebashvili

One late afternoon in June 2014 I went from Tbilisi by marshrutka (minibus) to Mtskheta. I hadn't booked any accommodation in advance, but had a few ideas about where to stay from my guide book.

When I got off the bus, a local lady accompanied me to the Svetitskhoveli Cathedral in the town centre. Here she got in contact with some locals, who recommended the Homestay Gulo Merebashvili, which was just around the corner.

Gulo, the owner of the place, is a very friendly lady, who doesn't speak any English. So I communicated in my basic Russian with her. She seemed to have two rooms with two beds each, a shared bathroom and a basic kitchen.

The room at the front of the corridor was already occupied on my arrival, so I booked the room at the back as a single room for one night. It cost 25 Lari (ca. 10 Euro). The price didn't include breakfast.

My room was absolutely sufficient for my needs, but only had a window to the corridor. The next morning I left my luggage in Gulo's kitchen and explored the town. When I got back in the afternoon, I took a short break for a small-talk with Gulo and another lady on their terrace. I got offered freshly picked cherries and some local green fruits, which tasted very sweet.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average