10 Chakrukhadze Str, Tbilisi, 380005, Georgia

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 26% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• traveloturc's Profile Photo

New alternatives

Located in the heart of old town villa Mtiebi is on walking distance from downtown.
    is a boutique hotel with only 9 guest rooms.You can find all the necessary comfort in this premises.Hotel design is an unique blend of old and modern european trends.Renovation of 21 century with the ambiance of 19 th century building.

Directions: in the heart of old town

More about T'bilisi

Leonidzis kuchaLeonidzis kucha

Abasha region house (mid-19th century)Abasha region house (mid-19th century)

Main doorMain door

The CathedralThe Cathedral

Tbilisi in January

by italmelb

Hello All

I will be coming to Tbilisi for a few days in January 2011 as part of my round the world trip. Given that I have never been to Georgia I would appreciate any advice from you on what things I should see, what local food I should try, what kind of things I should be wary of, etc

Rather than a hotel I will probably stay in a guesthouse as there is quite many of them from what I have seen online so far

Is Tbilisi an expensive city?

Any suggestion is appreciated!

Re: Tbilisi in January

by italmelb

The other day I was reading the travel advisory for Georgia on the Australian government website and it does sound a bit unreal/exaggerated. Can I get the opinion of someone who lives or who has visited Tbilisi?

This is what the advisory say:

Petty crime, including pickpocketing and bag snatching, occurs throughout Georgia.There is a serious risk of crime against foreigners in Georgia. There is a high threat of kidnapping throughout Georgia, particularly on the main road between the capital Tbilisi and western Georgia. Travel in groups and the use of local escorts may reduce the risk of kidnapping and hijacking.
Violent crime, including robberies, carjacking, sexual assault, home invasions and assaults occur against foreigners throughout Georgia, including in Tbilisi. Inadequate street lighting in public places increases the risk of crime after dark.

So it this rubbish or is it true?

Re: Tbilisi in January

by meriko

Hi Piero,
First of all, nice to hear that you plan to come!

So, I would like to address to the last of your comments. Australian guides seem to be very untrue. Or old.. Georgia is a safe country. Don't be afraid to travel on the road or of any robberies or something like that. I think a little risk is everywhere you go, but if you come here you'll see we live here as safely as every other country's inhabitants. :)

Well, I live in Tbilisi, and I feel very safe in here. So do the foreigners. We have a very good regulation system here so feel very free. You have to be careful though, just like you would be everywhere else. :)

January is a good time to come, because you can try some skiing/snowboarding at winter resorts such as GUDAURI or BAKURIANI (I prefer Gudauri, as its slopes are breathtaking for me).

There are many other sights you can visit. Tbilisi is also very interesting with lots of places to explore.

Local food you should try would probably be Khinkali and Khachapuri (a cheesecake wich I adore). There are lots of delicious food you will see when you're here. We have a good local wine here too.

I think Tbilisi is not an expensive city. I don't know what your criterias are, but I guess it depends on what you want to buy. Food prices are quite good. I think cheap in markets and supermarkets. Restaurants are good for me too. Transportation is also in good prices. Bus - 40 tetri (which would be 20 cents or so..) minibus-50. You will have to be carefull with the TAXI drivers though. You will have to realise how far you're going before you accept the price they demand, for they don't usually have chronometers on.

If you have any more question, please feel free to ask :)
cheers, and happy travelling,
mary.

Travel Tips for T'bilisi

tbilisi in a nutshell

by call_me_rhia

A legend about its fundation: one day King Vakhtang I Gorgasali went hunting in the woods with a falcon; then the said falcon caught a pheasant and the two birds fell on the ground and died of... burns. The king had discovered the famous hot springs. Soon he decided to cut down some trees and build a city, calling it "Tpili", an old Georgian word for warm. Aside the hot springs, what I mostly liked was the architecture, especially in the old town and Avlabari: a mix of Georgian traditional architecture with Byzantine and Middle Eastern influences. And don't forget the amazing nightlife: Tbilisi is a very vibrant city.

wine and water

by ellielou

It's hard to overstate the importance of wine to the Georgians. That, or beer, (and sometimes, vodka) seem to be drunk at lunch sometimes, and dinner (almost always).

Despite wine being important, it's hard to BUY a decent glass of bottle of wine in a restaurant. Most people make and bring their own.

In addition, people seem fond of Borjormi water, the sparkling kind. It's salty, and a bit of an aquired taste. The 'mineral' water variation, though, is just fine.

Biking

by rjaparidze

Tbilisi is not really adopted to biking. However if one goes out early in the morning a bike trip up to Turtle lake may really be an enjoying adventure. It does not take a lot of time and efforts to go upslope for about 10–20 minutes

Kus Tba... Turtle Lake

by maykal

Kus Tba (Turtle Lake). This can be reached via the cable car from Vake Park, if there is enough electricity to run it. If not, it is a very long and steep walk, or an expensive taxi journey. What is up there? Well, a dirty-looking lake surrounded by cafes and a makeshift beach. It would be a good place for jogging, and there are is also some scope for circuit training, albeit on rather rusty apparatus. Some mad people were swimming in the brown murky water, but I could not be tempted! Kus Tba is not far from the museum of Folk Architecture (see below) in the region of Vake.

From Tbilisi to Kazbegi

by MalenaN

Are you going from Tbilisi to Kazbegi the best way to do this is probably with a shared taxi. It cost slightly more then the minibus but is faster and more comfortable.
For Kazbegi the shared taxi is leaving from Didube. They leave when the taxi is full (four passengers) or with less people if they are willing to share the price. I paid 10 lari (June 2003) for the drive Tbilisi - Kazbegi. Can't remember how long it took. Maybe four hours.
The family sharing the taxi had a lot of luggage (they were shopping big bags of hazelnuts and other things at the market before we took off). Along the way we also stopped at Ananuri so I could see the church.

Comments