T'bilisi Hotels

Our Members Say

• littlebush profile photo littlebush
  • Reviews: 1132

Envoy hostel: Sound place

Surprisingly there are heaps of hostels in Tbilisi. You will see signs for them all over.
I stayed at Envoy which was probably a little overpriced compared to some but it was good.
They have a sister hostel in Yerevan.
It was 35Lari for a night incl bread and jam breakfast in a 4 bed dorm (£14)
The hostel has put thought into its design and has good beds, with the light and table by the bed, which i find useful. It has a small common area with kitchen and tv.
Staff speak english and russian.
They do airport pick ups for 40Lari which is a bit of a rip off as a cab is 20Lari.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written September 6, 2013

• SWFC_Fan profile photo SWFC_Fan
  • Reviews: 1283

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel David L: Mid-range family-run hotel in Avlabari (Part 2)

...continued from Part 1 above:

Breakfast

Breakfast was served in the underground dining room each morning from 10am.

There were only 3 tables set up in the breakfast room (and not much room for additional tables). This was fine during our stay, as there was only one other guest, but I'm not sure whether breakfast would be served in separate sittings at busier times.

10am is also fairly late for breakfast. This was fine with us (we tended to go to bed late and have a lie in each morning; getting up early wasn't too appealing on the cold February mornings), but might be problematic for those wishing to make an earlier start. Indeed, when we undertook a day trip to Armenia which started at 9am we had to forego breakfast that morning.

Each morning we would sit at one of the tables that was set with plates of crusty bread, slices of salami, pieces of salty white cheese, tomato and cucumber, pots of yoghurt and chocolate bars filled with vanilla, chocolate or caramel flavoured cream. One of the staff would then bring us freshly cooked omelettes, four slices of khachapuri (flaky pastry filled with cheese, which we think was purchased from the bakery on the corner of the street) and a pot of tea. On the first morning, we also received croissants filled with custard cream and a bottle of the hotel's homemade brandy, but both of these proved to be one-offs.

General

We were very impressed (and grateful!) that the hotel allowed us to check in early at 7:30am. We'd have struggled to stay awake until the 2pm check in time otherwise. At busier times, this flexibility might not be possible.

The hotel has rooms on 4 floors; a mixture of singles, twins and standard and comfort doubles. Our room was a standard double, significantly cheaper than the comfort doubles, and perfectly adequate for our fairly limited needs. I can't think of anything lacking in the room that I would have wanted to pay the comfort double price for.

There is an outdoor terrace with sofas, chairs and tables on the top floor. We went up for a look, but there was no demand for it in the quiet and cold month of February. It is perhaps more commonly frequented in the warmer summer evenings.

There are no lifts in the hotel. The first flight of stairs, from reception to the 2nd floor, are steep and wooden. Above that level, the staircases are less steep and are tiled concrete. Our room (#201) was on the 2nd floor; it wasn't too much trouble for us to carry our suitcases up to that level, but less able-bodied people (or people with heavier/bulkier luggage) might struggle.

The in-room information booklet lists the various foods and drinks that can be purchased from the hotel. For example, bottles of mineral water (1 litre for 2 GEL / £0.80), bottles of Coke and Fanta (500ml for 1.5 GEL / £0.60), local beers (500ml for 2-3 GEL / £0.80-£1.20), crisps (3 GEL / £1.20) and khachapuris (6 GEL / £2.40). We never purchased anything from the hotel, but tended to purchase supplies (mainly water) from nearby shops at less than half the hotel's prices. We enquired about purchasing a bottle of the hotel's homemade brandy as a souvenir, but were put off by the price of 33 GEL (approx. £13).

The same booklet lists a variety of tours that the hotel offers, including day trips to Mtskheta, Kakheti, Kutaisi, Telavi and Davit Gareja and winetasting tours to the hotel's own vineyards. No prices were listed and we organised our own excursions independently or through another company (Envoy Tours who took us into Armenia for a day).

We had to leave our room key on reception each day when we went out. During the day time, the main door was kept unlocked, but after dark it was locked and we had to ring the doorbell to get back into the hotel. At busier times, the sound of ringing doorbells whenever guests return at night might be a problem.

Most of the family spoke some English, with the younger members being more fluent. It was difficult to converse much beyond the basics, but everybody was friendly and welcoming.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at Hotel David L and would recommend it to others. Don't be put off by the external appearance or the general condition of the surrounding area streets. The location is convenient, the bedrooms are comfortable and the breakfast is pretty good (and filling!) for the price.

A good value, mid-range hotel close to Avlabari metro station. Clean, comfortable bedrooms, modern en-suite facilities, friendly hosts and a tasty Georgian breakfast. Recommended...especially for budget travellers!

• Written February 24, 2013

Hotel David L, Tbilisi

• SWFC_Fan profile photo SWFC_Fan
  • Reviews: 1283

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel David L: Mid-range family-run hotel in Avlabari (Part 1)

My girlfriend and I stayed at Hotel David L for 5 nights during our visit to Tbilisi in February 2013.

We booked our stay through www.booking.com and paid 93 GEL (£37) per night for a double room with private bathroom and breakfast included. We paid our bill in total (in Georgian Lari cash) on the second day of our stay, but could have paid by card if we had so wished.

While researching places to stay in Tbilisi, we found that there was a reasonable selection of high end hotels (with prices higher than I'd expect to pay in many western European cities) and a large choice of budget homestays and hostels with shared bathrooms and very basic rooms. We struggled, however, to find many mid-range hotels in central locations (there were a few suitable looking places further out of the centre, for example around the Isani metro station area), but Hotel David L looked as though it would meet our needs perfectly and the reviews on booking.com (incidentally there were none on TripAdvisor) were generally favourable.

Location

Hotel David L is located on Armazi Street, a small side street in the Avlabari area of the city, north-east of the Mtkvari River and the Old Town area.

The hotel is conveniently located just a couple of minutes walk from Avlabari metro station. From here, it is just 1 stop (2 minutes) to Freedom Square, 2 stops (4 minutes) to Rustaveli Avenue and 7 stops (15 minutes) to Didube (where many marshrutky/minibuses depart for other towns and cities throughout Georgia).

We arrived at the hotel on bus number 37 from the airport (cost 0.5 GEL / £0.20 per person). The journey from the airport to Avlabari metro station took around 30 minutes; we then walked the couple of hundred metres to the hotel. At the end of our stay, we booked a transfer through the hotel. A family member drove us to the airport for 50 GEL (£20). The journey at 3:30am took only 12 minutes. Had the journey not been at such an ungodly hour, we would undoubtedly have taken a taxi to the airport for less than half of that price.

The area immediately around the hotel is a little ramshackle, with potholed roads and buildings in various states of disrepair. In fact, the building right next door to the hotel was practically derelict. We knew to expect this from our pre-trip research, but it was still a little disconcerting when we arrived on a cold, dark February morning, just as daylight was breaking. After nearly 40 sleepless hours, I just wanted to get into bed. A few hours sleep and the area didn't seem nearly as bad. There are mini-markets, bakeries and restaurants within a couple of minutes walk of the hotel. There are also two other hotels on the same small street; Hotel Qeroli and Hotel Armazi Palace.

There are lots of taxis parked up outside Avlabari metro station, and various city buses stop there as well. However, we preferred to explore the city mainly on foot:

The walk from the hotel to Rike Park (where you will find the ultra-modern Peace Bridge and a newly opened cable car system that connects the park with Nariqala Fortress) was downhill all the way and took a little under 10 minutes. It would have taken even less time, but the heavy traffic on Ketevan Tsamebuli Avenue for much of the day meant that we had to take a detour of a few minutes to cross the road via an underpass. We could usually cross the road ok late at night, cutting a few minutes off the return journey.

Next to Rike Park is Europe Square, and from there we could cross the bridge over the Mtkvari River to Meidan (a square full of restaurants), the Old Town area and the sulphur baths in Abanotubani. Overall, the walk between our hotel and Meidan/the sulphur baths (which we made several times during our stay) took between 10 and 15 minutes.

Overall, the location turned out to be perfect for our needs. The main sights around the Old Town area were easily accessible on foot, while we could jump on the metro and be on bustling Rustaveli Avenue in a matter of minutes.

Bedroom

We arrived at the hotel at 7:30am, having spent a day in transit in Istanbul, over 3 hours sitting in Tbilisi airport waiting for the city buses to start and then an uncomfortable 30 minute bus ride into the city. We were tired, grumpy and not in the best frame of mind. We were keeping our fingers crossed that the hotel wouldn't be full and that they would let us check in at this early hour so that we could catch up on much needed sleep. Thankfully, the door was answered when we rang the doorbell and a room was available for us to check in immediately, so we didn't have to wait for the standard 2pm check in time. We will be eternally grateful for that!

We knew from the reviews on booking.com that there was a room with no window. We added a note to our booking requesting that we have a room with a window if available. The message must not have reached the hotel, as we found ourselves in a room with no window. However, we resolved to sleep first and then consider asking for a change of room if needs be. After a few hours sleep, we were feeling much better and the lack of a window didn't really bother us enough to request a change. A change might have been possible if we'd asked; the hotel has 8 or 9 rooms and we only saw one other guest during our 5 day stay. There was a small window in the top of our door, so we got a stream of light into our room from the hallway light, and the spotlights on the ceiling of our room lit the room very well when needed.

The room contained a double bed (which was a little hard, but had very comfortable pillows, and we always slept well), a sofa, an ornate, gold-framed wall mirror, a wardrobe (which was a little rickety and just about big enough for our needs) and one bedside cabinet. There was no in-room safe as the hotel's brochure suggested.

Our room also contained a fridge (with small freezer compartment), a flat screen TV (dozens of satellite channels from Turkey, the Gulf States, Russia, Europe and North America) and a telephone.

Free wi-fi was available within the room and throughout the whole hotel. The password was provided in the room's information booklet and I was able to connect simply at the first attempt. For most of our stay, the connection was reliable and reasonably fast. It was a little sluggish at times, but no big deal for us.

There were ample electrical sockets (European style, 2 round holes) in both the bedroom and the bathroom for recharging camera batteries and mobile phones overnight.

The room had a remote controlled aircon/heating unit. The temperature in the room was fine most of the time, but did sometimes get a little warm and stuffy overnight (especially with no window to open).

There was a short power cut on our first night, but it only lasted for around 10 minutes and there were no recurrences during our stay.

The en-suite shower room was very clean, bright and modern. It was also relatively spacious, with a large shower cubicle containing a power shower. The main head of the shower leaked a bit, but the other attachment worked fine. There was always plenty of hot water when we needed it.

A selection of complimentary toiletries were provided (soap, shower gel, shampoo, toothbrushes, mini toothpaste tubes, combs and a tin of shoe polish) and were replenished throughout our stay. We each received a medium sized towel. Fresh towels and slippers were provided each day and some days we got two towels each. No hairdryer was provided, but the hotel brochure suggested one could be obtained on request.

According to the reviews we read before our visit, one of the rooms doesn't contain a shower cubicle, just a drainage hole in the floor.

Due to exceeding maximum characters, continued in part 2 below...

• Written February 24, 2013

Hotel David L, Tbilisi

• AnnaHermans profile photo AnnaHermans
  • Reviews: 155

Formula 1: on a hill close to the center

A very friendly helpfull couple is running this guesthouse. You can walk into the city center but you have to take a taxi back, because it is on a steep mountain. It is clean, with good airco and shared toilet bathroom.

nice neigbourhood on a hill, old

• Related to: Arts and Culture, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written July 21, 2012

• AnnaHermans profile photo AnnaHermans
  • Reviews: 155

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Classic: trying to be chique

We stayed one night here for 60 euro. The people are very helpfull and friendly, but the room is not what it seems like on the website. One curtain was missing, we could not close the door of our room. The smell of the kitchen was going through our room. The ventilator and the fridge made a terrible noice. There was no light near our bed. To go to our room we needed to climb steep winding stairs. They announce a breakfast buffet with pancakes etc, but that's not what you get. The adress is hard to find.

nice receptionist

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Arts and Culture, Museum Visits
  • Written July 21, 2012
Tip Photo

• bonio profile photo bonio
  • Reviews: 2482

Hotel Kartli: Hotel Kartli

Small, friendly and comfortable hotel close to the city centre.
A simply furnished room for us, clean and everything worked, just what we needed, plus a decent buffet breakfast included in the price (fantastic bread!)
There's a lovely restaurant with a beergarden too, later tip for that one though!
Anyway, enjoyed our stay here and very happy to revisit should we ever find ourselves in Tbilisi again.

• Written May 27, 2012
Tip Photo

beware of the "triffids"!!

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sofiko Guest house: Just for sleeping. . .

When I came back from Kazbegi, I had to look for an accommodation, as the owner of the hotel where I stayed few days before told me she had no accommodation. On that day, I decided for a change for my last night in Tbilissi, and looked for something on the left bank area. I was walking with my backpack along the shops of Marjanishvili street, when an old lady asked me if I was looking for a bed. We did not speak each others language, and she wrote something on a piece of paper; it was in Georgian, but showing this to people from time to time, I ended at Sofiko’s guest house, on Chitaia street, some 100 m left after the crossing with Aghmahenebeli Avenue. ( 41° 42’46”N; 44°48’11”E). The owner here, like in most pensions, probably tries to fill her house with as many guests as possible; I slept in a room which was also the corridor to another room. . . But I was rather tired and slept well!
Very basic here, typical “backpacker style” and cheap: 10 Dollars.
Two rooms, 7 beds, 1 bathroom with shower, small kitchen next to a balcony with view over a nice backyard. The surroundings are rather nice, sort of a popular residential area; a nice backyard is on the other side of the house where kids play and elderly play chess of trick-track.
Hostel good for “emergency” in case you do not like spend lots of money in luxury hotels and have no reserved accommodation in Tbilisi.

8 Euros/bed/night.
hot and cold water, tea.

• Related to: Arts and Culture, Backpacking

map

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Waltzing Matilda: If you have earplugs, use them here!

I probably do not anymore have the age or patience (or enthusiasm) for staying in a crowded hostel with rooms for 8-10 people where all night through (almost, because at some time I slept!) people go in or out, unload their backpacks, discuss with high voice, etc. . . . I did not really sleep well there and the atmosphere was not for me, I felt a bit out of place with all those youngsters.
The very good thing with Waltzing Matilda was that I had a reservation from France, an airport pickup (not cheap, but given the time it was worth: 20 US $), as I arrived at 2 am, and everything went smooth on arrival and departure with the girl at the reception. I stayed only one night there and next morning I went for looking for a better sleeping place, thinking of my backpack I left in a room where lots of people were still sleeping. . . .
There is a small kitchen and you can cook if you fancy; I made a Nescafé before my first walk in the city.

For me, good for one night, but not more. This hostel is well located off Rustaveli Avenue, not far from the old city centre; on the picture, Chavchavadze street seen from Rustaveli; the hostel is behind the trees.
Free wifi.
10 euros/person/night.

• Related to: Arts and Culture, Backpacking

Seen fro Rustaveli Av.; located behind the trees

Hotel Gutsa: Something nice and old fashioned

Hotel Gutsa is apparently not well known by the “classical” travel guides and I found it by chance when I was looking for an accommodation after my bad night at the Waltzing Matilda Hostel. This hotel is indeed not very visible from the street and when I asked a bookshop keeper where I purchased a map of Tbilisi if she knew of a hotel, she indicated me Gusta a few meters away from where I was!
To get there, you have to enter in a backyard and walk up a stair where you finally see a sign at an anonymous door. The owner (I forgot her name, lets call her “Mme Gutsa”) opened the door and invited me in. She had only a very big room free and I had to accept to shere it if another person wanted to check in; nobody came when I stayed there and I had a 20 square metres room for me alone!.
So the hotel is quite nice with a nice eating room where you can have a big real breakfast (except coffee is only Nescafé), with eggs bacon, fruits, yoghurts, etc. . . Mme Gutsa does not speak English or French, but she is very sympathetic and makes every effort to understand your wishes. I stayed there two nights, enjoyed a big room, had a big bathroom with warm water; it was clean and perfect for me; this hotel is located near the Rustaveli Metro station, at the Northern end of Rustaveli Avenue, so rather well located, about 20mn walk from the old city centre.
This hotel is more expensive than the hostels but it is a real hotel, and way less expensive than the big international hotels. Exactly what a traveller who likes a bit privacy and comfort and who hates to spend his money on useless luxury needs! Excellent hotel for the price.
The pictures are from the breakfast room, and one from the backyard.
The websites tells a bit of this historical building, and the main picture there shows the room in which I stayed!

• Related to: Backpacking, Arts and Culture

Seen from the street

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

HOTEL CHARM: PLENTY OF REAL CHARM

LOTS OF CHARM
HOTEL CHARM

Yes, it is charming and so is the nice lady (Nino) who owns the hotel. This large house with big stairs is well located, comfortable and good value. The interior is full of antiques, has quiet surroundings and is located in the heart of the Old Town. It also has a fantastic enclosed balcony that looks out over the river. A great place to sit down with some food and write your postcards.

Rooms are comfortable with good beds, plenty of heat and plenty of room. I stayed in one of the non-ensuite rooms and I had a great bathroom with a huge heater and plenty of hot water. With only 7 rooms, it is both cosy and quiet.

The nice owner really looks out for you and will tell you where there is a very good restaurant (and price!), where to buy wine and where to shop. I was really made to feel welcome. She also takes security seriously and you will have no worries staying here.

Great hotel, great location, a great night’s sleep.

• Air-conditioning
• Airport transfer (on request)
• In room dining
• Laundry
• Business centre
• Very quiet and secure
• Babysitting (on request)
• Across from the (Orthodox) Pope’s house

• Related to: Budget Travel, Business Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons

THE GRAND BREAKFAST ROOM

HOTEL DZVELI UBANI: GOOD HOTEL – AND ONLY THE HOTEL

DO NOT LET THEM TAKE YOU TO THE AIRPORT. For some reason these people run a nice hotel, but will try and rip you off with journeys to/from the airport. The lady at the desk told me that the journey to the airport was ‘around 30 GEL’ when she was loudly overruled and I was quoted 40GEL. This is more expensive than the taxi drivers in the street quote. I paid 25GEL to a taxi driver I negotiated with. Why they would act like this is beyond me. Stupid really given that the rest of this tip is complementary to them.

OK. So the hotel is very nice at a reasonable price. Located in the Old Town and only a block away from Freedom Square and all the action. My room was very comfortable, had a great bed, and plenty of hot water. I didn’t stay for breakfast, but the breakfast room and the whole hotel looked very nice. I emailed these folks to make my reservation and I was treated very politely by the staff – except at the mention of the airport.

If you are looking for a good price and a good night’s sleep with a location close to all the sights and transport – this place is for you.

• Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel, Singles

GOOD BED

STAR HOSTEL: NOT QUITE READY

I think the guy who runs this hostel (Ramaz) is great. He helped me out, made sure I had loads of information about Tbilisi and provided a very economical shuttle to the airport. He also let me have a bed until I had to go to the airport at 2am. The only problem? The beds are really poor. The owner told me that he was going to put in bunk beds and open a new hostel. I am sure it will be better. The Hostel is clean and amazingly well located. It is less than a block from the old city walls and Freedom Square. It also has fantastic views of the city walls, especially at night.

So if you can sleep on anything, this is a great hostel.

• Related to: Singles, Backpacking, Budget Travel

IT'S RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THINGS

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

TBILISI HOSTEL: NOT GOOD

There are a lot of fantastic hostels across the world. This isn’t one of them. I reserved their only double room and was shocked at how poor my room and the whole hostel was. My mattress was completely uncomfortable, the room was in the middle of all the incessant noise the first night and was absolutely not worth the price I agreed to on the website. Fortunately, due to the disorganized staff, I paid a lot less.

There was only 1 bathroom/toilet upstairs I can’t imagine what would happen if they did get a lot of people staying in the dorm rooms. The internet was a computer sitting on a bare floor. The staff were more interested in talking as loud as they could with their friends until 5am. I didn’t even know there was a kitchen until I was leaving. The whole building has warped floors and is not even warm and the water never heats up. I wonder what its like in winter.

Even though it has a good location I would recommend you look for accommodation somewhere else.

* Disorganised
* Noisy
* Cold

• Related to: Adventure Travel, Budget Travel, Singles

DO NOT ENTER !

• leeellzmaz profile photo leeellzmaz
  • Reviews: 1

Laundry service
Transfer from the airport Price: 15 USD
Reservation of air tickets - Online Booking
Free parking
Excursions in and outside Tbilisi for visiting historical places
Transportation
Breakfast (served in the room). Price: 7 USD

• Written April 9, 2011
Tip Photo

• rafighi profile photo rafighi
  • Reviews: 41

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

GTM Kapan Hotel: Clean, Nice and Comfortable!

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights. I was single. They gave me a room with 2 beds.
The location is great. It's located in old tbilisi very near to Europe square. The rooms are clean and nice. The bathroom is nice and clean.
The price is reasonable. The staff are nice and speak english very well.
disadvantages:
* the beds are a little short (I am 182 cm.)
* the breakfast is not very well

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written October 6, 2010

GTM Kapan Hotel