Middle East Hotels

Our Members Say

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

PERSIA HOTEL: IT WILL DO IN IRAN

This is a clean, basic hotel at a reasonable price. OK, it’s a little expensive by Iranian standards, but you can’t go wrong here. My room had air-conditioning, 3 beds, TV, refrigerator and it’s own bathroom. The beds were comfortable, my fridge kept drinks cold and the air-conditioning was fantastic. The bathroom was basic with the ubiquitous Iranian Toilet. It had plenty of hot water, but with no shower curtain the water went everywhere. They do supply flip flops. But take care after the water goes everywhere! The desk is manned 24 hours a day and it’s in a quiet neighbourhood. They have been known to allow cheap international calls from your room. Just confirm the current rate with reception.

Their location is a healthy walk to the main square, but it’s a simple left out the door and another left in about 8 city blocks.

At the time I stayed here they charged me about $25. I am still convinced this was the price for a double even though I was by myself. I did not make reservations ahead of time.

* AIR-CONDITIONING

• Written August 26, 2012

PERSIA HOTEL

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

STAR HOSTEL: NOT QUITE READY IN T'BILISI

I think the guy who runs this hostel (Ramaz) is great. He helped me out, made sure I had loads of information about Tbilisi and provided a very economical shuttle to the airport. He also let me have a bed until I had to go to the airport at 2am. The only problem? The beds are really poor. The owner told me that he was going to put in bunk beds and open a new hostel. I am sure it will be better. The Hostel is clean and amazingly well located. It is less than a block from the old city walls and Freedom Square. It also has fantastic views of the city walls, especially at night.

So if you can sleep on anything, this is a great hostel.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Road Trip

TBILISI HOSTEL: NOT GOOD

There are a lot of fantastic hostels across the world. This isn’t one of them. I reserved their only double room and was shocked at how poor my room and the whole hostel was. My mattress was completely uncomfortable, the room was in the middle of all the incessant noise the first night and was absolutely not worth the price I agreed to on the website. Fortunately, due to the disorganized staff, I paid a lot less.

There was only 1 bathroom/toilet upstairs I can’t imagine what would happen if they did get a lot of people staying in the dorm rooms. The internet was a computer sitting on a bare floor. The staff were more interested in talking as loud as they could with their friends until 5am. I didn’t even know there was a kitchen until I was leaving. The whole building has warped floors and is not even warm and the water never heats up. I wonder what its like in winter.

Even though it has a good location I would recommend you look for accommodation somewhere else.

* Disorganised
* Noisy
* Cold

• Related to: Road Trip, Backpacking, Budget Travel

STAY AWAY !

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

HOTEL DZVELI UBANI: GOOD HOTEL IN T'BILISI

DO NOT LET THEM TAKE YOU TO THE AIRPORT. For some reason these people run a nice hotel, but will try and rip you off with journeys to/from the airport. The lady at the desk told me that the journey to the airport was ‘around 30 GEL’ when she was loudly overruled and I was quoted 40GEL. This is more expensive than the taxi drivers in the street quote. I paid 25GEL to a taxi driver I negotiated with. Why they would act like this is beyond me. Stupid really given that the rest of this tip is complementary to them.

OK. So the hotel is very nice at a reasonable price. Located in the Old Town and only a block away from Freedom Square and all the action. My room was very comfortable, had a great bed, and plenty of hot water. I didn’t stay for breakfast, but the breakfast room and the whole hotel looked very nice. I emailed these folks to make my reservation and I was treated very politely by the staff – except at the mention of the airport.

If you are looking for a good price and a good night’s sleep with a location close to all the sights and transport – this place is for you.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Family Travel, Budget Travel

HOTEL CHARM: PLENTY OF REAL CHARM IN GEORGIA

Yes, it is charming and so is the nice lady (Nino) who owns the hotel. This large house with big stairs is well located, comfortable and good value. The interior is full of antiques, has quiet surroundings and is located in the heart of the Old Town. It also has a fantastic enclosed balcony that looks out over the river. A great place to sit down with some food and write your postcards.

Rooms are comfortable with good beds, plenty of heat and plenty of room. I stayed in one of the non-ensuite rooms and I had a great bathroom with a huge heater and plenty of hot water. With only 7 rooms, it is both cosy and quiet.

The nice owner really looks out for you and will tell you where there is a very good restaurant (and price!), where to buy wine and where to shop. I was really made to feel welcome. She also takes security seriously and you will have no worries staying here.

Great hotel, great location, a great night’s sleep.

• Air-conditioning
• Airport transfer (on request)
• In room dining
• Laundry
• Business centre
• Very quiet and secure
• Babysitting (on request)
• Across from the (Orthodox) Pope’s house

• Related to: Family Travel, Business Travel, Women's Travel

THE GRAND BREAKFAST ROOM

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

WHITE CITY HOSTEL: I COULDN'T FIND THE PLACE !!!!

I never stayed here. That’s because I was never given the chance. I agreed to get picked up at the airport and no one showed up. They never answered the land line phone or mobile. I was there at 4am in the morning wondering what to do. So I got in a taxi and he drove around for 1 hour trying to find the place at great expense. I had read a review, by a complete idiot, that said this was in the Old Town. It’s not! It’s ’15 minutes drive’ from the Old Town as a better website explained. They said it was near ‘SOS Child Village’. The Manager from SOS got in my taxi - at 5am! - trying to help me find this place. Nothing.

Then they rang me at 2am the next night.

Arggghhhh!

I ended up in a Catholic Church and homeless shelter for a while. Interesting considering this is a Muslim country. The Priests and Nuns got me a taxi and off I went to another hotel. In fact I spent as much on taxis as I did at the second hotel.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Several other reviews on other websites explain this has no signs or markings, often don’t answer the phone and is hard to find. I wish I had read those. Please read mine.

Please save yourself some trouble and book somewhere in the Old Town or nearby. The Centre of town has accommodation that is affordable and walkable to the Old City.

The ability to hide a whole hostel!

• Related to: Singles, Backpacking, Budget Travel

CANUB HOTEL (AND GULAG): SOVIET GOTHIC

I can still remember my first hotel in the USSR. 1986. Passports handed in to reception and suspicious, distrustful looks. Then up the stairs to the first landing. There an old Matron with a stare that could kill 20 Imperialists eyed you up. She would be at her desk, guarding the 1 TV (with the 1 station never on) and an eagle eye-view from the desk to every door on that floor. You were scanned and allowed – to climb another set of stairs. You then arrive and see… an old Matron with a stare that could kill 20 Imperialists eyed you up. She would be at her desk, guarding the 1 TV (with the 1 station never on) and an eagle eye-view from the desk to every door on that floor. 5-25 floors – it never mattered. And your room key was NEVER at reception. No. It was with the floor Matron. Young, yet made of old steel. Ready to report you for subversive activities and sentence you to 2 extra nights in the same hotel.

You reach your room? Dark, mouldy, no shower curtain, maybe some flip-flops. Parts of mismatched carpet, a diabolical bed, little or no curtain, maybe a little heat and a blanket that was too short.

Did I say 1986? Yes, but the spirit is alive today with the daughters running this Soviet Museum. And it’s expensive for what you pay for!

My half toilet seat finally broke and scratched my backside. My bed flipped forward and pitched me along the room when I sat on it. The carpets ARE originals and smell accordingly. The curtain is see through – get up! And you can hear about everything.

Ashtrays are standard – of course it smells like smoke fool!

If you stay here – you get what you deserve.

I have actually dug out some of my USSR pictures (1986) and Belarus pictures (2004) and I can assure you – this place is still the same. The ‘reception’ area is where Matron irons linen and watches the one TV. And she has your key in another room.

Don’t stay here – you wouldn’t sleep in a museum would you.

There are some good and great places to stay in Baku. This isn’t even good enough to be bad.

Where do I begin?

* Smells like mould
* Matron on every floor staring at you
* The TV on every floor goes on - very loud - at 2am when the vodka kicks in
* A bed of nails would be better
* Broken toilets/heaters/doors/beds - you don't get a choice
* You actually have to pay to stay here
* Curtains that let in 99% of light and 120% of noise

• Related to: Budget Travel, Adventure Travel

SATAN'S SITTING ROOM

• Reviews: 3557

Marriott Armenia Hotel Yerevan: WORTH IT?

The Marriott actually forms part of the 4 corners of Republic Square in the Capital city of Yerevan. Its an ornate building on the outside, but a bit cramped on the inside. I stayed nearby and went for a look. I can't say I was blown away except by the prices they wanted for a room. Considering there is no indoor pool, I can't see justification for charging double the price of some other hotels - with an indoor pool - just a couple of blocks away. I must say I did like their 'public' toilets that were still upstairs and away from the lobby. The lobby itself was white. small and sterile. I have listed some of the amenities below, but for the money you could find a hotel with much more character, exciting facilities and pay less.

I love Marriott, but not this one.

WHAT THEY HAVE

ROOMS
• Coffee/tea facilities
• ‘Internet’ at a hefty $25 a day – no mention of Wi-Fi on the website – good luck!
• Mini-bar and water – all for a fee
• Ironing board and steam iron, safe, closet
• Air-conditioning
• Alarm clock
• Rooms look pokey on the website

RESTAURANTS AND BARS
• Cucina – Italian restaurant
• Armenia Brasserie – International (breakfast only)
• Scoop – Ice cream

BUSINESS FACILITIES
• 9 rooms, some huge
• No mention of Wi-fi

LOBBY
• Coffee and tea (I never saw it!)

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Luxury Travel, Spa and Resort, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written August 24, 2012

THE ORNATE FACADE

EREBUNI HOTEL - YEREVAN, ARMENIA: PERFECTLY PLACED

The Erebuni is almost right in Independence Square. It is essential joined to one of the 4 main building forming the square. You just turn left outside the entrance and the archway you go through is the square itself. The main Post Office just on the right as you enter the square. In terms of exploration and orientation – you are in the center of everything. Reception was friendly, the hotel is spotlessly clean and my room was great. They also do food, but I have seen a review where this is not recommended. With every bar and restaurant an easy walk nearby, this is a good base for everything you could need.

My room was good sized, had a comfortable bed, some toiletries, satellite TV with CNN, mini-bar and some other good amenities. It also had the most massive shower I have ever seen in a hotel and plenty of hot water.

This is an excellent choice for business people, anyone in Yerevan for a short time or anyone on a medium budget. Bizarrely they DO NOT take credit cards. They have seasonal rates, so you may want to review their website.

In the middle of everything in Yerevan, Armenia.

• Related to: Family Travel, Business Travel, Seniors
  • Written June 11, 2012

EREBUNI HOTEL - YEREVAN

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

PAREV INN (PAREV DOON): THE NICEST PLACE I NEVER STAYED AT !

I highly recommend that you stay with these super-nice folks. Do to an error on my part, I was not able to actually stay with them. When I showed up in Yerevan and rang them, I found out I had forgotten to email them my confirmation when I arrived in Yerevan. Within seconds they had negotiated a good hotel at the same rate. In effect they had taken swift and great care of me even though I did not end up being one of their guests.

Parev Inn is owned by a Canadian-Armenian couple and is near the Yeritasardakan Metro Station. They are easily contactable by email or telephone and, of course, speak English.

They are really nice and helped me when I really needed them.

Thanks nice Parev People!

PLEASE NOTE: These great pictures were actually provided to me by the folks at Parev. I told you they were nice!

They list as as standard:

European standard Bathrooms (no surprises), Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, Hair dryer, Soap & Shampoo, Rooms are cleaned everyday and the towels are changed. Bed Linen is changed every other day They do serve breakfast as well to get you off to a good start on your day.

• Related to: Backpacking, Family Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written April 11, 2011

BRIGHT AND COLORFUL !

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

TAJ TALAH: KING OF THE TOWERS- SANA'A,YEMEN: (AS FEATURED ON THE VT HOMEPAGE!)

The Old Town of Sana’a is dominated by ancient ‘skyscrapers’ that are tower blocks built of stone, brick, mud, paint and wood. Taj Talah is an authentic building that is at least several hundred years old. It has all the unique features of such a building from the Mafraj (top room of the house used for socialising) to the deadly uneven and steep stairs. The hotel's Mocha Coffee Shop on the top floor allows you the best view of Sana’a in the city – day or night.

Please find my Nightlife Tip on this hotel here:

Old Town at Night

The Hotel is an authentic part of Old Sana’a. Rooms are basic, but clean and have brightly coloured windows at the top that reflect across the walls during the day. There are en-suite bathrooms which you pay a couple of extra dollars for. Flush toilets and basic shower. Rooms are a little warm so do keep the curtains closed during the day. The only bad thing about this hotel is that it is noisy, especially in the lower floors. People like to run, scream and kick bottles day and night as they pass the hotel. It is cheap and well situated, so a great place for sound sleepers.

Please Note: Many taxi drivers do not know how to find the Hotel. Ask them to take you to the “Masjid Dawud" or Dawud (David) Mosque in Old Town. It is just around the corner. They may stop short and tell you that you have to walk, it’s OK, you are very close.

• Related to: Study Abroad, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written February 8, 2009

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Crowne Plaza Amman Amra (King Falsal Bin Abdel Azi: BEST LUXURY HOTEL NEAR THE AIRPORT AND MOTORWAYS

Excellent location, services, staff and amenities. This is the lowest priced luxury hotel near the Airport and Motorways.

In addition to helpful staff there are several restaurants (not cheap) and 2 bars. There are 2 swimming pools (one indoor), saunas, whirlpools and a mini bar in your room. The Car rental company 'Dallah Rent A Car' has a desk in the lobby and cars in the car park. They give excellent rental prices.

If you speak to the staff, they will be nice enough to take you onto the roof to take pictures of the 7 hills of Amman.

See if anybody pays attention to the fact that one whirlpool is painted pink and the other blue in the leisure complex.

Luxury and accessibility that won't kill the budget. We stayed here for about $70 a night. The buffet was excellent.

There are nice shops/shopping mall next door and an ATM. Accross the street is a fantastic grocery store and sweet shop.

Amman, all of it, is only a $1-2 taxi ride away.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written February 8, 2009

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

MECURE HOTEL IN SANA'A, YEMEN: DO NOT TRUST THEM !

If you read all my hotel tips on VT you find that I always seem to have a problem with the Accor group of hotels. Their record with me – worldwide – is 100% bad stays. I have never had a good nights sleep or good service. This is no exception. I reserved on-line so I could stay in a bit of luxury on my last night here. I booked a month ahead of time because it had use of gym facilities and free airport transfers. Both were a complete lie. When I showed up all the facilities seemed to not exist! My room was smoking and noisy. Then I was forced to pay for my ‘free’ airport transfer and hassled for a tip! When I complained to the booking website I was told I would get a refund over the transfer. That was in 2006. Still waiting!

• Free airport transfers you have to pay for
• Forced to tip the driver for the same transfer
• Never repaid for the transfer – despite the website saying they would
• Non-smoking rooms that become smoking rooms
• Quiet room becomes a noisy room
• The gym that does not exist

ESSENTIALLY COMPLETE BASTARDS

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Work Abroad, Luxury Travel, Business Travel
  • Written June 17, 2008

• JohnniOmani profile photo JohnniOmani
  • Reviews: 552

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

General Overview: Hotels in General

The region is far from a hot backpackers paradise and with the constant violence in Iraq etc the place seems it will stay this way for a long time to come making the hotels highly varied from country to country due to lack of first hand knowledge. Couple this with Arabs ability to travel to places where their family member are located and the pickings are slim. Other than Yemen, rock bottom budget is tough to find but possible. Prices reflect amenities and are accordingly high with about $20 US getting you a budget style up as high as $150 without blinking an eye. Budget hotels can be found in souq areas but in some cities 'natashas' roam around at night time. In general, search around the souq or bazaar area and you will find something that will be suffice for the night en shallah :)

No unique frills in the budget area other than the location of some of the hotels. Sometimes, the staff is friendly making up for the dirty interiors but that is another story in itself ;)

• Written February 20, 2007

• Doctor38 profile photo Doctor38
  • Reviews: 331

Gardin City Hotel: Best budge hotel in central Cario

in every aspect the Garden city is an excellent value. It is located on a third floor in a building behind the The Semiramis Intercontinental Hotel within a walking distance from the AUC, Mogamma', The Nile, the Egyptian Museum, and the Tahreer (sadat) metro station.

My room was equiped with an air conditioner, a TV and had a Bath. Rooms were clean. Breakfast was good. Staff were friendly.

I paid around 60 LE for room + tax and breakfast.

• Written February 19, 2007