Arbil Hotels

Our Members Say

• angusm90 profile photo angusm90

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Qandil Hotel: Qandil - Worst Hotel in Erbil

The hotel can only be described as appalling. I don't know where the people from LP stayed but it certainly wasn't the Qandil Hotel. The only good thing I can say about it is the location, close to the citadel and bazaar. The hotel itself is in a shocking state, the entire place reeks of diesel fumes and cigarette smoke, the bathrooms have no hot water and the squat toilets look as though they have not been cleaned in years. The beds and rooms are filthy, dead cockroaches on the ground, cigarette butts, dirty stained walls and carpet.

The price was originally quoted to me as 15, 000 dinar per night, but for some inexplicable reason and after arguing with the very rude guy at the desk, he wanted me to pay 30, 000 per night, even 15, 000 was exorbitant, you could easily find better accommodation for 10, 000. After demanding my money back and wanting to leave, the guy refused to refund me and I was forced to stay here.

I strongly recommend you find other accommodation in Erbil. LP made a huge mistake on this one.

Location

• Written December 27, 2013

• Pete.Gibson profile photo Pete.Gibson
  • Reviews: 285

Rotana: ***** Star Luxury in Erbil

Great hotel if you are here for a few days, security is excellent but discreet , food is on the pricy side but with a good choice of restaurants, and a more than adequate wine list it was worth visiting and the food was good
The rooms themselves were very comfortable and well maintained , and reception and concierge staff very knowledgeable and helpful

• Related to: Business Travel, Historical Travel, Architecture
  • Written April 12, 2013
Tip Photo

View from one of the resturants

• mikey_e profile photo mikey_e
  • Reviews: 1956

Erbil Rotana: The only joint in town

The Erbil Rotana is likely to be the only international hotel in Erbil for at least a bit of time. Certainly, when I looked to book something in January 2012, it was the only option that presented itself. That is not to say that other options will not be available soon, as there is a considerable amount of construction under way, as well as foreign investment attracted by the oil fields and Kurdistan’s ability to provide a stable and safe launching point for business with the rest of Iraq. Despite its monopoly on the local accommodation scene, the Erbil Rotana is far from being unpleasant. The price of rooms is high, but they are comfortable, spacious and clean. The restaurant in the lobby, as well as the café, is generally busy and provides a happy hour for guests. I wasn’t able to use the gym facilities, as they were not yet open, but they at least looked decent. The hotel staff was friendly and those who are from the Kurdistan region are knowledgeable about the area and more than willing to provide advice. The hotel is not badly located, either: a taxi ride to the centre of the city is about IQD5000, and there is a standard price of USD25 from or to the airport.

Of course, the selling feature of this hotel is that it is the only hotel that is available, at least through internet booking and with an international reputation. Beyond that, however, the hotel rooms are very comfortable. They are clean and that beds and mattresses are all very much intended to please those who are used to western hotels. The washrooms are well-appointed and feature modern plumbing and toilets – better than many other hotels I’ve stayed at in Saudi Arabia, Bahrain or Syria. One word of caution, however, is that guests should make sure that they are not in adjoining rooms, as the connecting doors are far from sound-proof and allow a considerable amount of noise to seep through.

• Written November 16, 2012

A view of the room

• jouj69 profile photo jouj69
  • Reviews: 6

Chwarchra Hotel: good for business

on our way from the airport we met an Iraqi Lady who was going to stay in this hotel , she was going to attened a seminar thier imvolving women rigghts in the arab world , we were supposed to follow her in our taxi but lost here on the way , bec as i figured out later that the driver had other plans for us. he wanted to take us to hotel Mondial ,65$ per room a night but my husband didnt like the old furniature nor the bathroom .
so i figured if the was a seminar or confirance at Chwarchra hotel then it must be good.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Hiking and Walking, Business Travel
  • Written June 16, 2012

• fwohl profile photo fwohl

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

NOBLE Hotel: Quality 4/5 Star

Professionally run, well managed hotel very close to the airport. Decent restaurant and good room service. Room well kitted out and bathroom facilities decent

Fast internet, decent business center, good location with multi-lingual staff

• Written September 12, 2011

Hotel Bekhal

Determined not to have to stay in either the Qandil or the Shahan on my return to Erbil, I gave a huge sigh of relief when the owner of the Bekhal Hotel told me he had a room available. Cleaning was in progress as I arrived, and these guys took cleaning seriously, a three man operation with buckets of water, hosepipes and mops all put to good use in reception. The room wasn't bad either, overlooking a busy street in the bazaar, and with a useable bathroom and clean sheets on the bed. Finally, a good clean cheap hotel in Erbil!

The staff here were great, chatting in Arabic and teaching me bits of Kurdish, and also helping out with directions to the hellish residency office when it came to extending my visa.

Comfy beds, clean bathrooms, hot showers and friendly staff. All for 25,000 dinars a night. Can't complain.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average

From my bedroom window, Erbil

Hotel Shahan

Leaving the Qandil tired and in a bit of a bad mood, I assumed I'd find another hotel fairly quickly, as the bazaar area is flooded with cheap hotels. What I didn't expect was for them all to be full, as there happened to be a big book fair on in town. While taking a breather in another small park with a fountain off Qalat Street, I happened to look up and saw a sign for the Shahan Touristic Hotel, and decided to give it a shot as it looked like a contender from the outside. Reached through a sparkling clean stairway inside a tiny shopping complex, I found an impressive looking reception area with equally impressive views of the citadel. I decided I wanted to stay...it was either that or suffer the humiliation of having to check back in to the Qandil!

"50,000". Hmmm, a little bit steep. "40,000? Is that better?" 25,000 would be, but 40 is still above my budget. "I can go down to 35,000, with breakfast". 30 and you have a deal. "OK done."

I should have walked out then. A cleaner came with me to my room to give it a clean. "I can wait in reception until you've finished" I offered, but he was adamant it would only take two minutes. That should have been a warning. I watched him "clean" the room. A mop swirled a bit of dust around, the sheet, crumpled and stained from the previous guest, was turned over and tucked in, and the most attention was paid to turning on the television for me. "Cleaning done, thank you please" and he hung around, perhaps waiting for a tip. I was not sure whether to laugh or cry. He'd missed an overflowing ashtray on the cupboard, and I could see an empty cigarette packet and a bottle of something under one of the beds. The only tip I could have given him was to learn how to clean.

The bathroom at first glance didn't seem to be too bad, and the shower was indeed hot...so hot that I almost scalded myself, then froze myself trying to cool the water down a fraction. Shower over, I noticed something move out the corner of my eye. Then another. And another. I'm not sure how many contitutes an infestation, but I reached 20 before giving up the count. But calm down, they're just cockroaches. I've lived in Sudan, for God's sake, I can cope with a few cockroaches in the bathroom...at least they're not in the bedroom.

Stepping out into the bedroom, there was a crunch under the bright orange hotel flipflops I was wearing. I stood on one foot to investigate, and to my horror felt something run across my other foot. Oh hell, they're everywhere!

Still, breakfast of bread, cheese, jam and endless tea with a view of the citadel through the window went some way to cheering me up in the morning.

Hotel Qandil

Err...where to start? Far from being the "clean and friendly cheapie" offering "the best deal for the dinar" as stated in Lonely Planet, I had such a bad night's sleep here I checked out the following morning. My room was filthy and dark, no natural light at all (probably just as well, as it meant I never got a good look at the sheets...they smelt funny, so I can imagine they looked funny too). The bed...well, it was like sleeping on a tombstone, and a short one at that. My room was also next to the chamber of horrors that was the shared bathroom, and walls are very thin, so all night i heard a procession of flip-flopped feet slapping their way down the corridor, followed by all sorts of noises i didn't want to hear, then yet more flip-flopping. I didn't test the shower, which wasn't more than a tap and a bucket by the toilet anyway. It did however have satellite television in all rooms...just a shame there was no volume control on any of them, and as I said, walls are very very thin.

Maybe I'm just getting old...I'm sure it isn't the worst place I've ever stayed...but it was a long way off the best.

15,000 dinars for single occupancy of a twin room. The location was I suppose the biggest plus, on the corner of the big main square with the impressive fountains, right opposite the citadel and in the thick of the bazaar. A shame the rooms didn't take advantage of the views.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive

• caesar-09 profile photo caesar-09

Monaco Palace Hotel: 100% recommend

We stayed at the Monaco Palace Hotel for 3 nights. It was a very pleasant experience throughout.

The room was spacious, clean and the beds was very comfortable.
Single rooms: 100 USD, double rooms: 125 USD.

Breakfast was delicious and very various, it was an open buffet.
In the evening there was a lot of choices for national as international food.

The host were very welcoming, they care about their guests

I was so glad that they offered 24 hours internet and for free to!

They have a meeting hall with a data show. The only thing that wasn't there. were gyms and swimmningpools. But that didn't bodered us at all.
They offer alcohol for nice prices.

Well I have dinnered Sheraton( Arbil International) and Khanzad too, but they weren't that clean like Monaco Palace.

It is a 4 stars hotel, but the service was really worth 5 stars.

• Written January 24, 2010

Erbil International Hotel: The best hotel in Erbil but not up to Sheraton std

Did not stay there but met a lot of people who did.

despite the fact that EIH claims to be a 5*, they have never been able to strike a deal with the Sheraton chain in order to have their name advertise as part of the business.

Basically, most of the people told me that the quality is the one of a declining 4* with cheap furniture and bad services.

I was told that upon arrival guests are asked to cash 500 USD as a deposit before getting in to the room.

Pls note that CASH IS KING in Iraq including Kurdistan. USD is widely accepted and money exchange easy to do in town.

The hotel has restaurants, swimming pool, gym, business center, travel agency, ...

The buffet lunch is ok.

The price in normal circumstances is about 200 to 250 USD + 10 % for a single room. During the tradefair of Sept 2006, this price was increased to 385 USD + 10 %. This is a highway robbery !!!

In town
know from everybody
Best in Erbil

Kanzhad Hotel: Hotel by the Kurdistan wilderness

Did not stay there but have visited the hotel and facilities in Sept 2006.

The hotel is out of Erbil but close enough to run your business there. I guess the approximate traveling time from the hotel to Erbil Intl Hotel is about 15 min by car.

The Khanzad belongs to the same owner of Erbil Intl Hotel and shuttles are organised between the two location.

The location is great especially if you have a mountain view room.

As it is a bit isolated, it is the favorite place for US officials to stay. I was told that Khalilzad was a regular customer.

The place is of course very quiet without noise or pollution.

The rooms have the usual facilities like airco (central + individual), minibar, sat tv, ....

In addition, the hotel has a fitness room (closed when I visited) a pool and a helipad !

Restaurants and bars are available in the premises and alcohol is served.

The hotel host one or two bank branches but I doubt it is possible to withdraw cash with a credit card.

The manager that I knew from my previous stay in Baghdad is charging 140 USD + 10 % for a single room + Breakfast.

Location
Price

single/double room

Hawler Plaza Hotel: an ok 2 1/2 star hotel

I stayed there in Sept 2006 for the Erbil trade fair (Rebuild Iraq). The prices in all the hotels went up 100 %.

KRG found me that hotel that was brand new at that time.

I paid 200 USD/night which is far too expensive. The regular price for a single room is 135 USD and still it is too expensive. For such a hotel in the region (except Dubai), the price should be around 60 USD.

The building is made according to Turkish standard, equipment and furniture so it will not last for long (pls no offence). I guess in 5 years this hotel will be a wreck.

Nevertheless, the hotel was new, clean with reasonably helpful staff.

Please note that an extra 10 % is requested for services.

The breakfast is included but is nothing special.

There is a business center with a good internet connection. Wireless card are also sold for 10 USD/24H.

Sat TV available in the room but may need some fine tuning !

Minibar in the room with a good working fridge.

Alcohol available at the restaurant.

Good working airco.

The management was lebanese (at that time) and very friendly (most of them can speak French).

Price list (+ 10 %) as per Sept 2006 when no special event held in Erbil :

single 135 USD
double 145 USD
Regular suite 185 USD
Executive suite 260USD

New (sept 2006)
good location

Tip Photo

single room 402 (twin bed)

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful