Kirkuk Hotels

• JAFA-Rease profile photo JAFA-Rease
  • Reviews: 91

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

The Spank Tank ; ): Bunks in Kirkuk

While it isn't as comfortable as home, things are pretty good here. We don't even have to go outside to &^%$, shower or shave!

The rooms here are pretty good. They do have some rare qualities though:

- I have an occasional bunkmate. He's a little brown furry mouse who likes to get into everyone's stuff. He won't be with us much longer ; ) We set out some "critter gitters".

- Speaking of not being with us, the Iraqi Military Cemetary is about 35 feet behind me.

- Notice the blanket on the top bunk in the picture. It's there to provide a bit of privacy or block out light. Most have one, as you are only separated from your roommates by maybe 4 feet. However, when the blanket is lowered it is jokingly referred to as a "Spank Tank" ; )

- As you can see in the picture, I can still surf VT while under attack. We "shelter" in place and wait for an "all clear". You know you're a VT addict if you write travel tips while under rocket/mortar attack!

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Adventure Travel, Road Trip, Business Travel
  • Written September 26, 2004
Tip Photo

With field rations it doubles as a dining room ; )

• JAFA-Rease profile photo JAFA-Rease
  • Reviews: 91

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Mods (Dorms): It isn't a 5 star hotel, but it also isn't a tent!

Definitely can't complain about the accomodations here! They beat the heck out of a tent. While rooms are shared, they aren't crowded and they're clean.

We even have LAN drops and telephone lines! A definite plus when you're away from home for extended periods (I'm sitting on my bunk as I type).

The chow hall and BX are within walking distance. There's a great view of oil wells burning off their natural gas.

While I didn't exactly beg to be here, at least almost everything is free!

You even get issued body armor at no extra cost ; )

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Road Trip, Budget Travel
  • Written September 14, 2004
Tip Photo

A now unused Mosque on the left

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful