Dan Carmel Haifa Hotel

See Amenities

Very unpleasant stay

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 20, 2011

I am writing this review while still staying in the hotel. I have a room at the first floor with a nice view of Haifa Bay but staying in it is a continuous torture. During the day in 2 rooms just accross the hall construction teams are working hard with pneumatic hammers, drilling machines and continuously slammed doors. During Friday evening the hotel organized a party for its guests on the lawn just below my window. It was a full blown party. Loudspeakers were at full volume so in my room I didn't miss even a wisper or a word or a note of the actors and singers. Particularly the drums were exceptionally clear even with my windows completely shut.
I complained to the reception but besides apologies they did nothing. They claimed the hotel is full - probably all the guests thought this is a fine hotel. I must respectfully disagree.
In my opinion this policy of having loud parties just below the guests windows shows the complete disregard for the well being of its guests, it is even an expression of its full contempt for guests who may want to rest on Friday night at 11 pm!!

I expected from a 5 stars hotel to close the floor where complete overhaul of even a couple of rooms is taking place. I would expect from a 5 stars hotel to take care of all its guests, including the ones that do not want to party at 11 on Friday night. It is my opinion that they could have find a way to organize this party without affecting other guests.
Besides, cleanliness is not that high on their priorities as the few strands of black hair I found in the sink could atest. And the Internet connection is a pain (and it is NOT free): you need to ask at the reception EVERY day of your stay for a slip with a new username/password to get connected. And the payment is just for one computer. So if your wife needs to connect too, you need an aditional slip and here they go another $10. And God forbid, if you need to connect with a smartphone you will discover you need an additional slip (and another $10 go). Not very convenient, isn't it? The parking is very limited and very crowded in a hotel basement that looks like ancient catacombs. One needs usually to park on two rows so you have to leave the keys of your car to the attendant. Every time you go in, the attendant comes with a few sheets of paper looking for your name, and almost invariably, is unable to find you on the list. They didn't hear about computers and definitely, the room card does nothing with respect to your parking. It could have been so simple!
So it seems that my expectations were too high and probably this is not the fine hotel I thought it is. So I'll do my best in my future trips to Haifa to avoid it.

Unique Quality: Great location in center of Haifa, very nice view from some rooms, a very nice breakfast.

Beautiful views and a great breakfast buffet

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 1, 2006

We stayed at the Dan Carmel for three nights in June 2006 and would highly recommend it.We, a family of three with a teenager, were driving ourselves around Israel via car. We stayed in a standard rate room at a cost of US $194.00 and were upgraded to a bayview room due to being E-dan members.Robes and slippers in the room.When we arrived there was mineral water and a fruit platter in our room. The view of Haifa from our room was breathtaking. Breakfast buffet was excellent, and included more choices than anyone could imagine. Innumerable cheeses, salads, fruit,smoked fish,made to order omelettes, pastries,a machine to squeeze your own fresh OJ or grapefruit juice,etc. Pool large and nicely landscaped.We ate our breakfast outside every day on the covered patio that faced the pool. Very nice gift shop.Convienent parking garage under the hotel. Because of being edan members we were given an excellent free driving map.Convienent location for walking to restaurants. and the Dan Panorama nearby has a small mall with a durgstore if you run out of any toiletries. Not cheap, but the best choice in Haifa in our opinion!!

Unique Quality: Breakfast buffet
Huge beautifully landscaped pool
View from the room
Cental location

gilabrand's Profile Photo

Red Carpet Treatment at the Dan Carmel

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 30, 2005

There is something solid and old worldish about this hotel that is definitely appealing, especially compared to the pseudo glamour and glitz that characterizes so many of the “better” hotels today.

The Dan Carmel is not a cheap sleep, but when I was there for a weekend in early September, I definitely felt I had got my money’s worth. The entrance lobby is grand and spacious, with Oriental rugs and tasteful flower arrangements, opening into a large carpeted “living room” with couches and armchairs and interesting old lighting fixtures. Huge sliding glass doors lead out into a large garden overlooking the bay.

The service was incredible. We were treated like royalty. Wherever we went, the staff smiled and asked if we needed anything. In fact, we have no royal blood in us. So it probably had to do with the fact that we had been upgraded to one of the hotel’s luxury suites. The staff must be primed to give VIP treatment to people staying in one of these fancy suites.

And how did I get this suite? No, I didn’t win the lottery. I signed up on the Internet for the Dan hotel’s chain membership club, called e-Dan. It’s free. You fill in your details and get a number that you cite whenever reserving rooms at a Dan hotel (there are Dan hotels all over the country).

Unique Quality: The Dan Carmel has an attractive outdoor swimming pool in a garden lined with tall trees, with plenty of lounge chairs and shady spots. Five-star hotels in Israel usually have an indoor pool, but not here. I heard tell there’s a health club, but we didn’t have time for that.

When we arrived – my husband, myself and two kids (the children, by the way, stayed free, although at 23, one of them was hardly a child anymore…) - we were handed an information sheet listing weekend activities. Included were a Friday night party, discounts to Haifa museums and attractions, a class on preparing cocktails and a free walking tour to the Bahai Gardens on Saturday morning.

We were instantly upgraded to a wood-paneled 2-room suite with 2 porches, 2 TVs and a gorgeous view of Haifa Bay. On the coffee table there was a bowl of fruit and a box of fancy chocolates. The dinner on Friday night was a lavish smorgasbord with dozens of choices, each section devoted to the cuisine of another country. The headwaiter came up to our table and offered “a special drink on the house” – whatever we wanted. The buffet breakfast was equally lavish: rolls, cheeses, yogurts, eggs, puddings, cakes and pastries, dozens of salads, blintzes, cereals, stewed and fresh fruit, and the list goes on.

Unless backpacking is the only option for you, this is definitely the way to go.

galy's Profile Photo

Most Elegant

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 13, 2004

The Dan Carmel is the most elegant and luxurious hotel in Haifa. its northen side commands the panoramic views of the bay and the city of Haifa.
lIt's located in one of the main streets on the crest of Mount Carmel, but not very close to the center, which makes the stay in it more. relaxed, on one hand, but you need a 15 minutes walk to reach the center.
There is an outdoor swimming pool and health and fitness club in the hotel.

Unique Quality: The Rondo restaurant. Quite expensive, but the food is good, and you can enjoy the panorama

Directions: 10-15 minutes walk from Carmel Center on Hanassi street

leffe3's Profile Photo

Dan Hotel Haifa (not to be...

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 8, 2002

Dan Hotel Haifa (not to be confused with the high-rise Dan Panorama)
$180-220

Unique Quality: The most expensive hotel in Haifa, but if you want to spoil yourself for a night or two, this is always my choice. It's one of my favourite hotels in Israel.

Very much a hotel of its time (built in the 1950s), it's large, impersonal public spaces with lots of marble and slightly run-down provide an air of old-fashionedness that makes staying here a delight.

Very large rooms, two double-beds, ensuite (again slightly old-fashioned), comfortable, all with balcony. Fluffy robes and slippers provided.

Located up the hill in one of the main commercial and cultural hearts of the city (Haifa is built on many levels so there are two or three main 'centres' of activity). Half the rooms have superb harbour and bay view which includes the Baha'i temple and Hanging Gardens, the other half look across the city and the sea.

Fairly extensive gardens - important thing is to eat breakfast on the terrace overlooking the pool (they do not object if you request to sit out, even if no table has been pepared). A wonderful start to any day (usually there for the Haifa Film Festival in October) with probably the best breakfast spreads in any hotel in Israel

Nearby Dan Carmel Haifa Hotel

• Suites
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Free High Speed Internet

Haifa Travel Forum

Need advice about Haifa, Israel? Visit the Travel Forum for Haifa and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Haifa hotel reviews

Bahá’í Gardens in Haifa
Church of Multiplication, Tabgha
Capernaum: on the Sea of Galilee
Things to Do
sea of galilee and the valley
Baptismal Site: Yardenit
Haifa International Film...
Baha'i Gardens
The Chicken That Crossed the Road
Restaurants
Haifa Beach (Mediterranean Sea)
Bahai Gardens, Haifa