Sea of Galilee, Tiberias, Galilee, 12948, Israel

Costs 24% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Ramot Resort Hotel

December 2010 Trip Report Israel

by Semiretired

Just (barely) got back from Israel. Went to Tel Aviv, Galilee, Jerusalem, Bethlehem. We would like to highly recommend the services of two independent guides. David Gurevich for Galilee and Jerusalem at david@touchisrael.com and for getting around Bethlehem and Palestine Sam Salem at guide.holy@gmail.com. These are two keepers.

We are independent travelers and made our way around Tel Aviv (port of Jaffa, Carmel market) using the shared ride sheroot transportation. Hotel recommend is Tal Hotel. There's not a lot in this city which is a cross between Los Angeles and Panama City, FL.

We picked up a car rental with David and saw Caesarea, Mt. Carmel, Nazareth (which is 98% traffic and 2% sites to see.) Some people parachute, some run marathons, I rent cars in foreign countries for a rush.

Spent night at Hotel Ramot in northeast Galilee, the most peaceful view in the world. Then hit all holy sites in Galilee and made it to Beit Shean which is the coolest archeology dig we've seen since Pompeii.

We rented an apartment in Jerusalem that was superlative. VRBO.com number 191207. Right by pleasant Arab neighborhood at Damascus Gate. Ate at Al-Quds daily. David took us through each step from Mt. Olives to Church of Holy Sepulchre. Don't miss the "disputed ladder" story.

Sam took us into Palestine including Herodian and then Bethlehem. He knows everyone. Then we hit Masada and Dead Sea.

Advisories: Watch Friday nights and Saturdays are shabbat and things close. Don't answer questions that weren't asked by soldiers or customs people. Tell your guides to avoid "bus stop restaurants." There are no Starbucks in Israel. And fill up on Taco Bell before you go (you will miss it amongst all the hummus.) Travel while you're young (these hills will kill your knees).

Sam was extremely helpful is getting us accommodations when weather cancelled our flights. BTW, St. George's Guest House is a great place to stay, especially for families.

This is my second time to Israel and it just keeps getting better.

Nashville, TN, December 2010

In God´s country

by Faracy

"How I decided NOT to be an archeologist."

To make a very long story short, I wanted to go somewhere where I could do an excavation, and Israel was the place where I could be funded to do so. I was an archeology major at the time, (getting profound joy out of looking at long dead bodies, and ancient food.) Unfortunantly, unless you´re from an Israeli institution, you are not allowed to dig up human remains:( I spent a month in the beautiful Galillee digging an ancient sewer system, and cleaning sherds of broken pottery.
I didn´t have the Indiana Jones notion of archeology, but I realized that it just wasn´t the lifestyle I wanted... 20 years of school, and then MAYBE getting a good site! No..
I would much rather do an ethnography on archeologists themselves... a fascinating bunch of people.. too much time in academia isn´t good for the soul.
I want to spend my life with the living, not hypothesizing about the dead..

"Galillee (I can never spell it right)"

The Galilee, or northern part of Israel is by far my favorite part. During the dig, I lived on a Moshav called Ramot Naphtali... the nearest towns being Sfat and Kiryat Shmona. Being shy in group situations, I spent a lot, really ALL of my free time wandering the area by myself. I loved watching the night fall over the Hula Valley every night, looking at Mt. Hermon... It had a special feeling, and a special scent.
I wish I knew what flower it was, but it was really pungent at night.. I´ll forever associate that with Israel.
When I was up on top of the Tel, doing my work, I would look down at the lands around me and wonder if this is where my ancestors came from. I would look across the electrified barbed wire fences and see Lebanon.. how strange that something so close couldn´t be visited. The same with Syria... there is a point where you can see all three countries at once.
I was there during a pretty rough time between Lebanon and Israel, constant Hezbollah fighting, bombing overhead, and explosions. It became so normal to hear shelling overhead, that we didn´t even look up.
I don´t know when I´ll ever get back there, I hope I do someday.

"Tel Aviv"

Tel Aviv is a huge, frantic city. I spent most of my time at the beach, on the board walk, and avoiding gross men.... be very careful! I got grabbed even swimming in the water!
On a happier note, Joffa is beautiful!
I think there are few more beautiful sites on earth than light minerets at dusk or dawn... wow... I love the hazy blue green they´re light with, and hearing the call to prayer... I must have been Muslim in a previous life, I was much more inspired by the Islamic elements of Israel than the Jewish... and I have a Jewish background.
I vividly remember laying on the beach at 4:00 AM, and watching the waves crash in, and gazing at Joffa and the minerets..

Blossom season...

by Sharon

And im looking for ideas where to go and see it.
The north is going to look gorgeouse in just a bit i think it already is.
Where are the most beautiful places in the north to see the blossom ? i want to see fieldsssss of flowers.
Any good recommendation out of your traveling around ?

Toda,
S.

Re: Blossom season...

by ramot418

Call up the the Nature Reserves and National Parks Authority in Jerusalem at (02) 500-5444. I'm sure they have *all* the information as I used to go on 'flowering' hikes all over the north organized by them.

Re: Re: Blossom season...

Toda Steve.

But hey dont you remember places where you've seen some great blossom in the north ? something that you can recommend ?
But not rakafot, i rather see something more colorful.

Re: Re: Blossom season...

by ramot418

It's been about 10 years since we last went on one of those trips. I think one was near Kibbutz Dahlia and it was called Givat Ha.......(name of a flower). I'll look it up over the weekend.

But the best thing to do would be to call the Authority.

Re: Blossom season...

by s_ani

you must go & c the nature around yoqneam and ramot menashe / ramat hashofet it's so nice now.

fishing in israel

by altizachen

I'll be going to Israel in a few days. I wanted to stay up north near the Kinneret. Does anyone know of a nice kibbutz near places to fish?

Thanks

Fishing in israel

Hiya,

Im not sure that this is the right time to stay near the Kinneret
Currently Tiberia as well as all of the north is being bombed by
the Hizballa.

Enjoy your staying here.
Sharon.

RE: RE: fishing in israel

by Martin_S.

Sharon is right, up north is not advised at the moment...you can find sea fishing in the south in the area of Asquelon and Ashdod, even in Tel-Aviv, although I am told the best is at Hof Betzet, north of Nahariya. If you are looking for freshwater fishing, that will not be very exciting here in Israel as there are few large fish here to be found, with the exception of the Lake Tiberius (Kinneret) on the north-eastern shore where it is pretty good.
At a later date after the Hisbolah are "taken care of" you could try Ramot, Ginnosar or Ein Gev around the lake.
Martin

Sde Dov to Ben Gurion Airport??

by injera2281

Hi.

Trying to figure out the best way to get from Sde Dov to/from Ben Gurion airports. How far apart are they?? I am trying to finish my stay in Eilat then fly back to Tel Aviv for a flight back to New York. Sde Dov has more flights to Eilat but I want to make sure the timing works.

Thank you!!

by unaS

Choose your hours to miss the rush hour and take a taxi.

by ramot418

Take a very short taxi ride to the nearest Tel Aviv train station. Then take train to Ben Gurion Airport (about 15-20 minutes). Rush hour becomes almost meaningless this way.

by Bregman

I second Ramot. Sde Dov is a few hundreds meters from the "University" train station. The road from the airport to the train station is a main road which is usually not affected by rush hour traffic. The train will take you further into the terminal than a taxi will. The station is in the terminal.

Ben Gurion airport is about 15-20 km away from Tel-Aviv.

Comments