Hashimi Hotel Jerusalem

Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

Satisfaction Average

• MikeySoft's Profile Photo

Rules You Can Sleep By

I picked two hotels for our stay in Jerusalem. One is the Hashimi Hotel. The other is the New Imperial Hotel. They are somewhat similar is several ways. They are both in the Old City. They are both very old hotels and used as Jerusalem hotels for centuries, yet they have been recently refurbished and brought up to date. They both got mostly somewhat good reviews on the internet. The New Imperial Hotel is near Jafa Gate, while the Hashimi is nearer the center of the old city but may be closer to Damascus Gate.

I ended up picking the Hashimi Hotel, faith also had us staying at the New Imperial Hotel after 3 nights. I will talk more about the New Imperial Hotel in a different tip.

I liked the owner, he also had a brother that we didn't see too much. The owner was very helpful and tried to accommodate us. Like we did not like the first room because it did not have a view. He explained they keep the view to the common areas, like in the breakfast area, and the rooftop restaurant. It was too cold to use the rooftop restaurant but both had great views of Old Jerusalem and the Dome of the Rock.

Anyway, he moved us to the top floor and we also had a great view. The room were very small, had TV, and AC/Heater. We only used the heater because it was cold while we were there. The room was ok. It was clean as the whole hotel, but the bathroom has a smell coming form the drains. We think they did not use traps to block the smell coming thought.

They also had a refrigerator in the hallway we could use. We kept things like watermelon, and eggs the hotel owner let us cook them in the kitchen.

They were also helpful with things to do, but sometime gave incorrect information. Like we asked how to get to the Dome of the Rock. He drew on our map how to get there. However, when we followed the directions, we were stopped. We were told only Muslims where allow to go this way. We had to go a different way for tourist. The people at the hotel were Muslims and told us the way they always go.

Most of the people staying at the Hashimi seem to be in groups. One morning the breakfast area was filled with young European (mostly blond) Christian school girls. Muslim families also stay there. We met a nice Muslim family from the US. Their little girl liked our watermelon so we gave her some.

I believe the hotel has all types of rooms, from double rooms with private bath, to small dorm rooms. I think they also have singles.

Oh, the rate for a double room with private bath, without breakfast at the Hashimi Hotel was $50.00 USD a night. Breakfast was $5.00 USD extra per person. We did not take breakfast. The $50.00 was the email price, the web price was higher.

Rules You Can Sleep By!
    The hotel has 3 rules.

1. The HaShimi Hotel is totally alcohol free.
    2. Smoking is not permitted within the sleeping rooms.
    3. Co-habitation by unmarried couples is not allowed. They must have separate rooms. (Just say you are married on the check-in form)

Unique Quality: You should be aware that the hotel is clean, friendly, in a good location in my opinion, and is safe. However, it is not a fancy expensive hotel. There are many expensive hotels outside of the old city if that is what you are looking for.

Directions: Walk into the Old City through the Damascus Gate. Walk to the far end at the bottom of the slope. Bear to the right on El-Zeit Street. The HaShimi Hotel is ahead on the left. The HaShimi Hotel is also easy to reach from the Jaffa Gate. See hotel's map.

• BEST ACOMODATION IN OLD CITY JERUSALEM

I was there last May . The hotel is 5 min. walking from Damascus Gate in the old city of Jerusalem. Is a very clean hostel , very nice staff and very cheap. Double room with private bathroom is more or less 20 € is cheaper if you contac directly to the hotel. www.alhashimi.com.
    If you wish to do guided tours visit the website www.jrshotel.com,and contact with Mr.Abbu Hassan. He offers tours at very good price. for example, full day in Galilea 20€, Masada 10 €... .He is very profesional and will show to you the real palestinian life.

Directions: next to Damascus Gate in the Old City

More about Hashimi Hotel Jerusalem

Nice Old City hotel near the tourist office.

by MikeySoft about New Imperial Hotel

I ended up picking the Hashimi Hotel, faith also had us staying at the New Imperial Hotel after 3 nights. I have a separate tip for the Hashimi Hotel.

Both hotels book groups which may make it sometime difficult to get a room. Of course, it is easy to get a room when group(s) are not taking all the rooms.

This hotel has very high ceilings which give it a lot of charm. The lobby is decorated very nicely in what I call old style Jerusalem because I don't know of a better word.

They have 4 and 2 person rooms with private bath. They may also have other types of rooms. They build a platform in the rooms to make them two stories, with a bed room upstairs. They were able to do this because the ceilings are so high.

The staff is very friendly and helpful. For example, they gave me the phone card for the pay phone because I was only calling the local bus company to reserve tickets. The card ran out of money so he gave me his cell phone for the call. :) I was also allowed to keep food in the refrigerator and boil eggs in the large kitchen.

The price for a double room with private bath was around $50.00 USD during May 2008. The USD was hit hard at that time so the price actually went up the day we checked in but they gave us the old rate of $50.00. Breakfast is an extra $5.00 USD per person but we did not take breakfast.

This hotel has free internet and as added plus, is very close to the tourist office. The tourist office has limited hours so it is nice to be near by when its open.

Please rate my tips when you find them interesting, useful are like the photos. :) You should be aware that the hotel is clean, friendly, in a good location in my opinion, and is safe. However, it is not a fancy expensive hotel. There are many expensive hotels outside of the old city if that is what you are looking for.

Info and assistance for a one day stay in Jerusalem

by putnuk

I am on a business trip to Israel and I will spend one day in Jerusalem. I will be alone. I need some e-mail addresses for youth hostels/religious hospices for a one night budget accommodation. Is it OK and safe for a woman alone to do sightseeing/shopping/eating out in Jerusalem? Do I need to be accompanied? Any ideas/info for a one day sightseeing in Jerusalem?

Thank you.

Ani Ivanova (MS.)

by MikeySoft

I was in Jerusalem for about a week at the end of March, early April. I stayed both in the New Imperial near Jafa Gate inside of the old city. And in the Hashimi hotel in the old city. I have a review of the Hashimi hotel as a Jerusalem tip. I plan to write a review of the New Imperial but have not yet. I would recommend both. An advantage of the New Imperial is they have free internet.

The price for a double room at the Hashimi was $50.00 USD and $60.00 USD at the New Imperial. Think they have single rooms but I'm not sure this is in your budget.

Both hotels are in good locations in my opinion, and are safe. However, it is not a fancy expensive hotel. There are many expensive hotels outside of the old city.

by rdglady

I can't help you with accomodations but it is perfectly safe to be alone in Jerusalem. The only thing-I a single women would hesitate to do is wander through the old city at night. During the day, that is fine too. IN terms of siteseeing--what are you interested in? religous sites? ( what religion), archeological sites? musuems? shopping etc. etc.

by piglet44

I agree with the previous poster. No problem to go around alone,except for the old city at night.
you can try this link for youth hostels:
have a good time