Amman West Hotel

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 23% less but rated 11% lower than other 4 star hotels

More about Amman

Reem by night, Jan 2011Reem by night, Jan 2011

JumpingMICHAEL, VTer MLW20, Amman, JordanJumpingMICHAEL, VTer MLW20, Amman, Jordan

Coffee for saleCoffee for sale

Hussein MosqueHussein Mosque

itinery help

by bust

Hi,

I desperately need some help in putting together an itinery for a week long visit to Jordon in May. We will arrive May 3rd and depart May 10th.

We would like to visit Damascus and Jerusalem staying overnight in each.
We did want to visit Petra, however the entrance fees are extremely high and not sure if our budget will stretch that far, although this will be determined by the cost of visas and other travel etc. Should we hire a local driver for excursions locally and can we go through a local tour company to avoid visa fees?

We would like to stay in downtown Amman because this appears to be close to local historic sites which we can get to on foot. Any suggestions on a comfortable and reasonably priced (max £50 per night inc taxes and breakfast)3 or 4* hotel would be welcome. Similarly any suggestions for Damascus and Jerusalem would also be appreciated.

In terms of the Itinery, what visas will I need and would I be better off getting them in the UK? What are the approx costs?

What is the best order for my visits. Please note, I do not wish my passport to be stamped when entering or exiting Israel.

by angiebabe

Hi, dont have a lot to say but dont really understand the 'entrance fees are extremely high' for Petra - was there 2-3 years ago, thought it was only about £12, cant remember for sure but not particulary expensive and such an amazing must see wonder of the world and youre plannning to be in the same country as it!
In my Petra page I have a tip with contact details for jitours - they were introduced to me by a friend in London as good family friends of hers and they were very good to me - they got a rental car for me when it was a peak time at quite low prices and also got me some discounted deals on hotels. Id for sure recommend them - they can drive and guide for you, or just organise thigns for you so you can go off independently. or contact them if you need some advice and tell them youre with VT.

You can see quite a lot in a week with a rental car in Jordan and I found it not particularly expensive.

by bust

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately the entrance fee to Petra has increased to £40+ and includes a donkey/horse ride irrespective of whether you want to use this mode of transport or not.

In addition the fees for a single/multiple visa for Jordon was increased considerably from the 1st of January, so all in all it works out be very expensive.

Any info on the contact in Amman will be appreciated.

Once again, thanks for replying.

by jordanexcursions

Hello, Kindly note that visa to Jordan costs $30 US Dollar per person & British people don't need any advance permission, so you can get it upon arrival at Amman Airport.. And as for the free visa, there should be 5 persons minimum to get it free of charge by a local travel agency. Less than 5 persons will pay for the visa anyway.
As for the entry fees to Petra it costs $72 US Dollar per person, and if you want to include Local sight guide for 3 hours you will pay more $72 US Dollar in total for guide...
As for the Downtown hotels, most of these hotels are 2* & 1* & unclassified hotels, they are very poor & very old, and the room costs around $15 US Dollar per night and they don't provide breakfast.. but you can enjoy your breakfast at the local restaurants as (Hommos, Falafel, etc.) and don't miss the famous local restaurant in downtown (HASHEM restaurant) its well known in Amman & you can reach it easily...

I wish you a happy trip in Jordan & I will be so pleased to answer your questions...

Regards

Travel Tips for Amman

Arrival at Amman Int. Airport

by jlanza29

On arrival at the Amman International Airport a foreigner must buy a visa....it cost 10 JOD....we landed at 2:30 am and there were several exchange counters open.....once you pay the 10 JOD the offical passes you passport to his collegue next to him, who stamps your passport and gives it back to you. Simple and easy.......everyone speaks Good English.

The correct way of saying "hello" ;-)

by travellingdan

From my time in Palestine I was used to just say "ahlan" as a short form of "ahlan wa sahlan" and to just say "hello". But in Amman a shop owner told me very friendly but straightforward, that this is not the correct form to say hello, especially when you are the first one that says something or you enter a shop. Instead, he told me, you should say "sabach al chir" (good morning) or "masaa al chair" (good evening) or even "merhaba". So I learned my lesson and from that on used the correct way of saying "hello" in Jordan :-)

Roman Theatre

by THLIN

It's obvious that Roman Theatre is the highlight of the city. It locates just downtown Amman. I, personal opinion, think that Roman is one of the most important landmark in Amman. It's well-preserved and magnificant. There are two museums inside the antique, for Palestine and Jordanian tradtional culture.
The entrance fee is JD1. There is only one price, and for all museums in the area.

jordanian rock music

by call_me_rhia about safeway

it's the largest department store in Amman and it sells just about everything. The music department is quite large and there's a lot of choice cd's and cassettes. i wish i could recommend the ones my friend bought for me but it's written in arabic. It's wonderful cheerful music - with a lot of rythm and drums. about 5 JD for a tape

Bus

by boltonian

To get from Amman to anywhere else, you must go by bus.

There are 3 bus stations, so you must see which you need. In general, the North station serves anywhere North, the West serves the W..... you get the idea.

West station is just about walkable from Downtown (15 mins), the other 2 are a taxi ride away (approx 2-3JD).

Buses tend not to have a time, they leave when full, so be prepared to sit on the bus for up to 2 hours.

Buses tend to run more in the early mornning, and are often cancelled after noon.

Comments