Al-Hussein Cinema St., Amman, Jordan

Agoda.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

• ChoBeowulf's Profile Photo

Amman´s "Hotel" ?!

I would describe the stay, if we would have stayed. We arrived at 3 o´clock in the morning because our flight came in that time. I did receive an email from the Farah hotel, that it is okay to check in early. I never got an answer about pick up from the airport though. We arrived, tired and ready for a shower. The receptionist was sleeping in the lobby. Around him empty bottles and full ashtrays. Well, our room was not ready because we were to early, but we could wait on the couch in the lobby with him?!?! We sat down, wondering what to do. To freshen up a bit, we used the restrooms and on the spot decided not to stay any second longer. All those positive reviews must have been made by drunks or slobs. The place is a mess. The Jordanian hotel minister (yes, they have something like that) even wrote how amazed he was about the cleanliness. Damn, I don´t want to see his home. We took a cab to the Imperial Palace Hotel to finally get some rest.

• triplehelix's Profile Photo

Backpacker Savy

Funduq Farah was a hotel I used to arrange a tour. I didn't stay here. The owner lived in Chicago here in the US. I can't say for certain since the problem wasn't with me but the people I was with got shafted by them. I had arranged to visit the Desert Castles and got what I asked for... in part. The British girls I met (Laura and Kat) were visiting Jordan on a break from their Arabic language courses in Damascus. I also met a French woman (Noelle) who started a little argument about our plans that day. Apparently, the women were supposed to visit Mount Nebo, Madaba, and the Dead Sea but were somehow placed with me on my tour. After about two castles, Noelle made a complaint to our driver saying, "I didn't bring a towel to see forts!" This started an hour long discussion on what we should do because of the screw up. They felt it was a blaitant act by the hotel since they reconfirmed it before leaving. The Bedouins outside Qasr Amra were making us comfortable while we straighten things out with Farah (who wouldn't take responsibility). Someone called another driver from Amman which none of us requested. Another argument broke out as to who would pay that guy. They assumed we'd just happily pay someone for services we didn't ask for. The hotel finally agreed to fully refund me for the error and give the woman Mount Nebo and Dead Sea for half price. Getting back to the hotel... the guy at the reception acted as if he didn't know what happened and said we'd have to wait for our money cause the boss "turned off his phones". My friend Laura demasculated the guy and took out the whole male dominated structure!! I was impressed. I shared in the yelling stating that I work for a hotel and this isn't customer service. He got the boss on the phone and we all got our money back.

I arranged a lone ride the next day and the manager was surprised I called. Truth be told I didn't want to navigate public transit to Umm Qais and Ajlun so I paid to go alone.

Unique Quality: The prices are resonable but if you're taking a tour or arranging something with them, everyone should confirm what they're doing with the manager before leaving. Apparently, this happens frequently with Farah Hotel.

The atmosphere is very comfortable and backpacker friendly. You will meet several other travelers in this area so try making plans with them for a ride. The more people you have in a group the cheaper.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Farah Hotel

Farah Hotel is a centraly located budget hotel. The bathrooms are shared and there is a refrigerator to use on each floor. I stayed there for one night in 2002 and remember it to be very clean (that is also what is written in the guidebooks). When I was there in 2005 the reception was clean (but too much smoke sometimes around the computor), but the bathrooms and sheets were not as clean as it should be. In 2002 I stayed in a small single room but the second time there there was as uch as four beds in my room. I paid 7 JD in 2002 and the same in 2005.
    Prices below are from 2002:
    Single: 7 JD
    Double: 9 JD
    Dorm: 4 JD
    Roof: 2,5 JD
    Internet: 1 JD/hour

Farah Hotel organises day tours (car with driver) to several places close to Amman and if you find someone to share the price with it is good value.

• daugavpilietis's Profile Photo

Farah -- A Nightmare

I don't have high expectations of cheap places to stay. In fact, I don't even mind a little dirt if a place is dirt cheap. But one must draw the line somewhere -- and perhaps it might be drawn at meeting the same feces smeared around the plumbing fixtures on the third day of one's stay? Or at beds so filthy that one didn't feel safe in one's sleeping bag?

What we found truly bizarre is that the Farah seems to get rave reviews from some -- we went there on a personal recommendation we were given in Damascus.

We never saw anyone doing any cleaning on our floor, and we stayed two nights. We found the staff unconscionably rude -- we had two serious arguments while there, one about what we thought was a rip-off on a tour they offered (they wanted us to pay the same amount even though we found more people), and another with a crazy woman who seemed to live in the lobby.

This is the only hotel from which we've ever actually fled, finding some very gloomy digs nearby (broken windows, no heat) -- and we were far happier at the ostensibly gloomier place. The Farah ruined Amman for us, and was the worst place we stayed on a four-month trip from Istanbul to Cairo. I've never written such a negative review of anything -- this place deserves it.

Unique Quality: They show movies in the crowded, smoke-filled lobby every evening. There are loud, malodorous refrigerators on every floor. The television set in our room didn't work and the Internet in the lobby was out of order for the length of our stay.

Directions: In the grotty downtown area.

• Best backpackers in town

This hotel centrally located in Amman is the best backpackers hotel. On the contrary to others it is situated a little distance from the busy and noisy main street of Amman.

Farah Hotel has a VERY helpful and nice staff which will provide you with all informations for your trip in Jordan and even organize it for you.

Unique Quality: I was there for 4 days and I felt like home being there.

There is a very nice courtyard where you can have your lunch wich is Bedouin Style.

The hotel is very well kept and clean.

Directions: Behind the Arab Bank

• shotgunsally's Profile Photo

Downtown

Hostels with dorms are pretty hard to come by and as a girl, not a very good idea. Al Farah hotel was hard to find and generic, but still worth going to. It has internet at a competitive price (with MSN), a courtyard with fountain and uncomfortable beds. No phones in rooms, no a/c, and broken tvs. Turkish toilets and 1 shower per floor. The staff are friendly, there is a working tv in the lounge and it is walking distance to the citadel, gold souk and Roman theatre. There are a lot of similar places around the downtown area. If you want my advice for a nice place, don't stay in a hotel downtown. All decent accomodation is elsewhere.

Unique Quality: There's an argileh shop downstairs... tonnes of models to choose from and a knowledgeable staff. Next door is a decent bakery for breakfast and snack-type foods. They make a mean lemon juice.
    Al Farah, like many of it's kind, allows travellers to sleep on the roof at a cheap price. Very nice in summer, but no security for personal items.

Directions: Downtown

Roof: 2,5 JD
Internet: 1 JD/hour

hotel near Tarborbour Bus Station

by DianeD2

Hello -- I'm planning to take a flight which will arrive in Amman at 6pm on Dec. 26th. The next morning I plan to take a service taxi from the station to Damascus. Can anyone recommend an affordable but reasonable hotel near the bus station? I've never been to Amman, so any advice on hotels and even the service taxi situation would be appreciated - thanks.

Re: hotel near Tarborbour Bus Station

by RaniaSaber

Hi
To go to Damascus you have to take a service taxi from Abdali bus station not Tabarbour which is far from Abdali.
Try Farah Hotel, Amman Downtown, 10 minutes by taxi to Abdali.
www.farahhotel.com