Yarmouk Street, P. O. Box 715, Madaba, 17110, Jordan

Expedia.com Venere.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Average

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

good value comfortable hotel in city centre

Driving in at night in the dark there were no signs to the city/town centre and it was clear I was not in the hotel district - on the main road into and out of Madaba I ended up out on the outskirts and stopped at a petrol station who in combination with staff, a local person and a taxi driver the directions I got seemed to be saying to take the next main left at the traffic lights - which when I did that along a long road became more apparent the town centre - but still no hotels in sight - a handy police booth on the side of the road provided about 3 police officers to give me easy directions from there to the Madaba Inn and with off street parking right in front of the hotel I got there fairly easy after though having to stop and get 2 sets of directions. I did not at any time feel unsafe though.

The hotel staff were pleasant but at that stage I didnt feel like paying another tip so I refused the offers of the 'bell-hop' and took my own small case on its wheels myself - but I guess normally this is a added source of income to workers here who might otherwise not be earning much money.

the room was excellently comfortable, clean, well furnished, had an appealingly priced minibar so I had a relaxing shandy for the night. I regretfully didnt have my laptop with me - as this place as with many others has wifi included - but the kind staff allowed me to use their computer in their office though it eventually kept disconnecting.

Excellent views of the sunrise the next morning overlooking one of the towns main attractions - the church of St George with its amazing mosaic map of the significant towns and sites in the area such as Jerusalem, Jericho and the river Jordan.

More about Madaba Inn Hotel

Church of St George

by angiebabe

This church is a newer church built on the original site where this amazing floor map mosaic of the surrounding significant sights are around the Holy Land are - is a Greek Orthodox church now as the sign says on the front of the church.

Inside of course is the mosaic that brings most people or tourists to this church but its also nicely decorated in new mosaics of Christ and various apostles, there is an old embroidery protected in a glass frame on the wall and various old catholic religious paintings down on the floor below.

My hotel, the Madaba Inn, was just over the road from this church so I didnt have far to go to visit plus I had a few nice shots from my window overlooking the church area which included the St Georges Kindergarten and so on.

Mount Nebo

by Vabate

Mount Nebo

8KM from Madaba is Mount Nebo where Moses viewed the Promised Land and also the Mount where Moses died. The Entrance Ticket is 1JD. Besides the awesome views, there is church with a collection of mosaics. Some of the depictions - particularly the wolf with cubs is somewhat disturbing since they are linked to Idol Worship and not to Christianity. This theme is common across Jordan, where Christianity and Idol Worship were combined as a result of using temples converted to the use of churches. Many "pilgrims" visit this place and it has become somewhat of a shrine. In the church inside people are lighting candles and outside a modern sculpture of a serpent wrapped around a pole in reference to scripture has been erected - what a pity.

Getting back to Madaba can be difficult, since there is seldom a service car or taxi waiting. You have two choices - hire a cab for the wait time or flag a car down and offer 1JD for a lift back to Madaba.

Other things to do:

Take a taxi to the Dead Sea.

See The Church of St. George with the mosaic map on the floor. The Entrance Ticket is 1JD. Opposite the Church is Moab Land Hotel and Madaba Inn.

In Madaba, there are two Museums, the Mosaic School and the Apostle's Church, one entrance ticket can be purchased for all 4 sites or separate tickets can be bought for each.

St. George's Church, Madaba

by Vabate

Madaba / Nebo / Machaerus

From Amman, Abadali Bus Station, take the bus to Madaba for 0.400JD, get off in town. Look for the road sign Visitor's Centre - you can get a map of Madaba and info.

Other things to do:

There are two Museums, the Mosaic School and the Apostle's Church, one entrance ticket can be purchased for all 4 sites or separate tickets can be bought for each.

Next, See Mount Nebo, 8 kms away.

Hotel in Aman

by silbrasil

Hi
I will travel around Jordan during 8 days in March. I bought a tour pakage of 7 days, but need a hotel for de last night. The tour operator offered me the extra night in a expensive hotel, then I`m looking for a doble room in a cheap but clean hotel (3 or 2 stars). Could someone give me some suggestion?
Thanks

Re: Hotel in Aman

by silasm

Hello,

I was in Amman 9 months ago. While you are in Jordan you will be able to find a local hotel for $25 to $30 per night. I stayed at the Hyatt and I decided to stay one more night...so I asked a local taxi driver to suggest a cheap/2 or 3 star hotel and he took me to one and it was EASY! I suggest you wait to go to Amman and then ask a taxi driver or someone or just walk down the street and go into a hotel and ask. Have fun.

Re: Hotel in Aman

by hoamai

We are also traveling around Jordan for 2 weeks this month. If you will be flying out from the Amman airport, you might want to stay in Madaba for the last night. We were recommended (probably saw info on this forum!) to avoid Amman and stay in Madaba instead. Madaba is south of Amman and is actually closer to the airport than from Amman. There are some good and cheap hotels there, such as Hotel Salome and Madaba Inn. We will try both of them.

Hope this helps!