Aisha Um Al Mu'mineen Street, Madaba, 17110, Jordan

Official Site

• PierreZA's Profile Photo

The Best

This well known hotel does live up to everything I read about it before I went to Jordan. It is most probably the best 2 star hotel I ever saw. It does not feel like you staying in a 2 star hotel. The rooms are very nice, extremely clean, with TV, air conditioning and a very good on-suite bathroom.
    But, it is the friendliness and service which adds to a great stay at this hotel.
    The hotel also has a big swimming pool.
    At 30 JD a night, including breakfast, it is extremely good value for money.
    They also have dinners, where traditional Jordanian food is served.
    The hotel is a 10 minute walk from central Madaba where the major sights are.
    I organised all my daytrips from here.

Unique Quality: A great experience

• dutchboycalledjan's Profile Photo

Friendly place

We stayed for 7 nights out of 11 days in this hotel. We made a trip to Tel Aviv (via the sheikh Hussein Bridge in the North) and to Petra and left most of our luggage in the hotel. The hotel is adequate, the rooms are clean. Friendly staff. Wireless internet in the lobby.
    Three drawbacks: a lot of groups, straining the breakfast capacity, the lift is slow and small and on the top floor (the 4th) there was - for me - too much noise from a water pump. The annex, rooms starting with 2, is more quiet. It is a short walk to the city centre, but be aware: the steepness of the stoop. A taxis sat us back 0.5 dinar.
    The contact through e-mail was excellent.

Unique Quality: Clean rooms, friendly staff, a swimming pool nobody uses.

• Doctor38's Profile Photo

The Best Hotel in Jordan

No question about it. Rooms are clean, spacious with private bathrooms. Staff are friendly and helpful. It is a very good value. The swimming pools is a nice place to swim relax, or just have a meal.

The food is great. If you have your Laptop you can use the Wifi for free @ the lobby. The owner is friendly, and knowledgable. It is wise to listen to his advise. He will help you arrange transportation to various sites. The hotel will pick you up @ the Airport for a reasonable amount of money. I paid 21 JD for a single room

• flynboxes's Profile Photo

Jordan Gem

this place get's great reviews for the most part. The owner is very outgoing and friendly. he can arrange just about anything you want to see or do in Jordan. My flight got in after midnight and a cab was ready to take me here and I was promptly let in and checked into my room. Rooms are clean with wester style toilets and air conditioning

Unique Quality: The owner can arrange just about any tour/excursion you might want or think of. He also responds to email so you can set most of it up prior to arrival

Directions: 15-20 min cab ride from the airport

• antistar's Profile Photo

Mariam Hotel

I was only going to stay five nights, but decided to stay a full week after discovering how great the place was, even though the owner, Charl, tried to talk me out of it, despite the fact that it would cost him business.

Charl is a great guy, and a mine of unbiased information. He'll not just tell you about the best ways of seeing the country, but I also talked to him at length about the politics and culture of Jordan and the Middle East in general. I've studied this subject in depth, and even given a few lectures at university on the subject, and even though I might not agree with his opinion, he is certainly knowledgeable. As a Christian Arab, it is also a very interesting and rarely heard perspective.

He cares passionately about his business too, and you can see that in the quality of care shown in the hotel, and the way the hotel has been adapted to the needs of modern travellers. It had everything I could possibly need for an enjoyable holiday in Jordan: free wifi internet for my laptop, cable TV, a good restaurant and bar, and a pick up point for all my tours, which Charl and his wife gladly arranged for me.

The tours are run by local taxi services which Charl personally vets to ensure your enjoyment. He solicits feedback on them, just as keenly as he does his own hotel, because their services reflect back on him. He claims to not take money out of them, and I can believe that when he would often insist I take public transport to places instead of a taxi.

The hotel is extremely clean, and the staff are all incredibly friendly and helpful. The staff insisted on bringing my beer to my room on a silver tray, with an ice cold glass, and a big smile, even though I was perfectly happy to get it myself. The restaurant serves good food, and they were happy to modify the dishes to my unusual tastes (vegetarian). The home made lentil soup was particularly good.

Unique Quality: There isn't much in the way of bad things to note, but to be fair I should point out that some of the rooms are a bit noisy. I'd suggest avoiding my room, number 12, as this is on the ground floor, near the busy road outside, and next to the foyer and one of the corridors to the restaurant. I think the best rooms are probably those that overlook the swimming pool at the back.

The furniture and decor is homely, spartan and comfortable rather than fashionable and brand new. Some of the furniture is a bit scuffed, but nothing is broken and everything functions as it should.

The location of the hotel in Madaba is a little out of the center, perhaps a five minute walk.

• triplehelix's Profile Photo

Friendly Place to Stay

This was all that and more! The staff at the Mariam Hotel was extremely friendly! I didn't get to meet Charl as he was in Damascus but his wife was always there to help. She arranged my driver for me and would assist me with any questions I had. Charl's father, Abu, was also very kind and quickly welcomed me at the lobby before breakfast and my trip to Kerak.

I highly recommend staying here but make reservations prior to arriving. Even though all the other hotels have many vacancies, this one will not. It is quite popular with tour groups and backpackers.

Unique Quality: My room was simple yet very very very clean. I had satellite television, although I had no time to watch anything (the only english channel was bbc world). The pool is located at the center of the complex just outside the restaurant. Breakfast is included in the price even though its a simple crepe with hard boiled egg. The lobby is very homey with traditional decor. There's also a computer to use with a charge of 1JD per half hour.

PRICE: 19JD (Single Room)

• flynboxes's Profile Photo

The Amman Alternative

I got in at 0200 in the morning and the manager Charl has a car and driver waiting for me. It's a short drive from the airport. The rooms are basic but clean and the service is great. Charl the manager and or his wife will go out of their way to help you make the most of your stay. The LP and Ruth rave about this place and for good reason. It's in Madaba which is a smaller city/village which is closer to the airport than Amman. This place is very walkable with the Church/Mosaic Map nearby and a great place to unwind after your flight.

Unique Quality: Charl can arrange discounted side trips to just about anywhere in Jordan including the King's Hwy and down to Petra. The service is what makes the place stand out the most as Charl can arrange just about anything a travel might need.

Directions: A 5 min walk from the centre of Madaba

• daugavpilietis's Profile Photo

A Perfect First Night in Jordan

We usually stay in budget hotels ( the Mariam is moderately priced , not cheap) but there are two logistical reasons for very highly recommending this hotel.

One -- you can avoid Amman (and I'm sorry, but in our opinion it's better avoided...). From the airport, Madaba is as close as the Jordanian capital, and the hotel will fetch you for a reasonable fee.

Two -- the Mariam arranges rock bottom prices for tours, which tours you can use to take you further instead of returning. As most tourists in Jordan head for Petra, this is a perfect place from which to reach it; taking the ancient King's Highway instead of the boring Desert Highway and so taking in absolutely spectacular scenery and visiting the crusader fortress at Kerak.

The hotel is very clean and comfortable, the service is fine, the owner speaks fluent English and Russian and is a fount of information on everything from local history to politics to travel advice -- in fact, he'll even explain how to ride the King's Highway by public transport (a very complex proposition -- but this should prove to you that the Mariam is not at all pushy with its tours).

You get breakfast (which isn't great -- a minor flaw), and you can get good local wine and beer at reasonable prices and peruse the books in the lobby. The owner or his wife will also recommend a truly terrific restaurant in town, and Madaba has a lot to offer -- from the famous mosaic map of the Holy Land to Mount Nebo and its proximity to the Dead Sea (the hotel also arranges trips to these places, and the site of Jesus' baptism).

The hotel is within walking distance of the town's sights but quiet, rather like suburbia but with goats wandering about. A relaxing place, and if you are on a long trip (as we were, Istanbul to Cairo) this is a very nice spot to take a break from the rigors of travel.

Directions: Two blocks from Al-Mouhafada Circle; there's a sign pointing the way.

More about Mariam Hotel

Great Value and Great Hospitality

by dstarnes about Black Iris Hotel - Madaba, Jordan

The Black Iris Hotel is a tourist hotel located in the middle of Madaba, Jordan. I first became familiar with this hotel while traveling through Jordan on waiting for overnight flights. Initially, I would go into Amman through a local travel agent. I found this arrangement to be expensive and really wanted something a bit more traditional Jordanian and out of the city.

I found the Black Iris Hotel on this site and have been pleased since I started using this hotel in December of 2008. The hotel is a family run business operated by Odeh Sawalha and his wife Anna. The parents who originally operated the hotel live across the street and help with the operation as well.

The hotel is clean, safe, and well taken care of by the owners.Each room has its own bathroom and are quite comfortable. Note.. there is not TV provided in the rooms, so if you are thinking of hanging out in your room and watching movies... this is not the place for you!!You are greeted as a respectful guest and part of the Sawalha family. The prices are very reasonable and Odeh can arrange transportation to and from the airport and tours and trips to all the major sites for you at a very reasonable cost.

Highly recommend this establishment for a high quality low cost option to the typical Amman hotels. Great prices
Clean and comfortable rooms and facilities including breakfast
Great hospitality and professionalism by the staff
Very convenient to Queen Alia Airport
Access to all sites in Jordan

Aman to Petra

by globetrottette

Anyone can recommend an effective/safe way of transportation from Aman to Petra (Jordan). Going next week and debating b/w renting a car (kind of not wanting to do that) or hiring a driver. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

by Doctor38

Sorry I have no idea about renting a car or hiring a driver.

I used the bus service between the two cities. JETT has A bus service between Amman and Petra. The station was located at Al Malik Al Hussain street near Abdali bus station. I used this service from Petra to Amman. I think it used to be every other day and I don't remember the fair.

Wahdat Station has also bus connections to Petra. JETT buses are more comfortable. Both these options use the desert highway.

If you want to travel between the two cities through Kings high way which is more scenic and enjoyable, you could stick with your plan (either rent a car or get a drive) or contact the Mariam Hotel in Madaba and join there bus tour. To do this you probably need to stay in Madaba which is a better base than Amman. Madaba is cheaper and closer to the historic sites of Jordan.

more about Mariam Hotel

more about this Kings High way bus @

Good luck

by scpinmd

My niece and I stayed at the Mariam Hotel and took a "taxi" to Petra. The taxi was arranged by the hotel and travelled via the Kings Highway. It was a beautiful and scenic route. Most likely your hotel will have arrangements for transportation to Petra. If you want to see a picture of our taxi, go to my Jordan page - I will post the picture there now. (I need to develop that page anyway as it's been almost a year....)

Have a wonderful time!

by scpinmd

Note regarding my post.... specifically, see my Madaba, Jordan page.

Comments