Petra Hotels

Our Members Say

• TheAndos profile photo TheAndos
  • Reviews: 120

Edom Hotel, Petra: Great Location

The Hotel Edom is not 3 star as advertised. When you check in there is a worried scrabble through a pile of paperwork but they found our booking. The foyer is ok but the rooms are tired. One afternoon the hot water went off but when we complained, it came back within the hour. However we had a small balcony, useful for drying washing. Breakfast buffet is fine.

The best thing is the location, a two minute walk from the Petra Visitor Centre, shops and restaurants right outside. I would not have wanted to stay in the centre of Wadi Musa, a 20 min uphill walk.

When you are in Petra, you are out sightseeing so all you need is a bed for the night.

• Written April 25, 2010

• asmae1973 profile photo asmae1973
  • Reviews: 1

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Petra Gate Hotel & hostel: the best place to stay in Petra

Nasser ,The owner, is a wonderful host, friendly and helpful, giving rides to Petra and directions to shops and cafes owned by locals. And his trekking advice for Petra was spot-on - the hikes he recommends are not in the guide books and led to a morning of solitude inside Petra, not another person sight for hours, just ruins. The evenings spent unwinding with him and other guests were very pleasant, and Nasser is not a bad oud player, either.

The rooms were clean, the water in the shower hot, and all requests were met quickly with a smile from the staff. Breakfast was cheap and easy, coffee and tea fresh and hot. The three nights spent with Nasser were the highlight of our two-week trip through Jordan. Time and money well-spent.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Arts and Culture
  • Written September 7, 2009
Tip Photo

• jumpamonkey profile photo jumpamonkey
  • Reviews: 15

El Rasheed Hotel: Good Value in New Rooms

For a budget hotel / guesthouse, El Rasheed is a good value compared to some of the other choices around the main circle area in town. The newly refurbished rooms are air conditioned, clean and quiet. Bathrooms are a little out dated still but overall this was the best value for the money we found. We went for 2 nights and stayed a week. Mohammed the manager will help you with anything you need. Particularly he advised on the clean restaurants and steered us away from the tourist trap places. He listed items we wanted to buy with prices locals pay rather than the tourist prices and where to buy things like bottled water, snacks etc at half the price or more.

This section of town is farther away from the tourist side. Better prices on everything and Brothers Internet is across the street with good connection speeds to support Skype and video streams.

• Written August 24, 2009

• Gili_S profile photo Gili_S
  • Reviews: 4684

Movenpick

As we already had our hotel booked for the whole week across the border we came to Petra only for a day trip and didn't stay over night, but if we would, maybe we would have chose this hotel.

• Written August 7, 2009

• PierreZA profile photo PierreZA
  • Reviews: 1069

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Petra Moon Hotel: A Negative Impression

I booked a room at this hotel about two months before my visit. Two days before I left South Africa, my room/reservation was reconfirmed by the hotel.
The positive about this hotel is the location, extremely close to Petra entrance.
On my arrival, I was informed that they do not have a room for me, but I will have to go to El Rashid.

Although I was not very happy, I had no other option. On my arrival at El Rashid, they were not aware of me being sent there from Petra Moon. They were not sure as to the rates I have to pay etc.

On my way to Petra, I went to Petra Moon Hotel to discuss my unhappiness with the manager. He had no explanation as to why I did not get the room I reconfirmed about three days ago. He promised me then 50% discount (=30JD), and daily transport from Wadi Musa down to Petra.
When I checked out at El Rashid, the manager was not aware of the discount. After phoning the manager at Petra Moon, I got10 JD discount (they are cousins).

So, I cannot recommend this hotel at all.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written May 24, 2009

Petra Moon Hotel

• dutchboycalledjan profile photo dutchboycalledjan
  • Reviews: 301

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Crowne Plaza Resort: Getting rid of the sand

We stayed one night in this resort. We arrived at 15.00 and were allowed to keep the room until 14.00 next day. This gave us the opportunity to visit Petra in afternoon and in the morning and swim off the dust on returning at about 19.00 and 13.00. (The heated swimming pool - with a view - closes at 20.00h). The views from the rooms are interesting. Very friendly people.

The resort is a two minute walk from the visitor center.

We dined in the restaurant. The buffet wasn't very special - a lot of groups, but still many dished suffered from a long stay - but the a la carte was very good, and just as expensive. The chicken, the lamb as well as the salmon. The wait was long, but well worth it.

Made a reservation through the telephone, one day before arrival.

The swimming pool, illuminated at night.

• Written May 17, 2009

A pookl with a view

• cachaseiro profile photo cachaseiro
  • Reviews: 1935

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Petra Inn.: Fairly good but falling apart.

Petra Inn is in most ways your average tourist hotel, but it is a bit tired in some ways.
The bothrooms were falling a bit apart in some of the rooms and the hotel is a not very well lit and a bit of a dark place.
The staff was very nice though, especially at the restaurant and i would go back there again even if it wouldn't be my first choice.

Good location.

• Related to: Archeology, Historical Travel, Family Travel
  • Written April 19, 2009

Petra Inn.

• angiebabe profile photo angiebabe
  • Reviews: 1679

The Edom Hotel: Excellent service and friendly staff

Though breakfast was basic this is a nice 3-4 star hotel - the rooms are clean, very comfortable and at a really good standard.

I got a good deal staying here for the night via the guys in my tip for Jordan Inspiration Tours.
www.jit.com as they were friends of a friend who arranged a meet up with them so they got me a good discount.

They also got a few discounts staying at other places around Jordan and a good price for a rental car - so look them up as well and see what they can do for you to go seen and enjoy Jordan

Good gift shop with an interesting range of souvenirs and items for sale - I was able to choose a selection of postcards I was happy with for only 6 postcards for 1 dinar - stamps also for sale - with a helpful guy working there.

Internet available in a side room in the lobby. Still regret not taking my laptop with me to Jordan - wifi was pretty much everywhere!

A hammam with sauna and massage was available for 20 dinar.

24 hour professional reception with security.

• Related to: Road Trip, Historical Travel, Singles
  • Written October 26, 2008

sunset views from the Edom Hotel

• angiebabe profile photo angiebabe
  • Reviews: 1679

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Petra Inn: Stay here if youre desperate!

Unfortunately I didnt take any photos inside this hotel - the interior was quite okay really but barely would truly make it to the 3 star that it reckons it is - and not at all worth 50 dinar a night to stay for a single room - we stayed here 50 dinar for 2 which is not so bad but theres just not a long going for it.

Quite a number of the group complained that they didnt get hot water for showers after a certain time at night - I had no problems when I showered prior to 9pm but the water from the shower did flood the floor of the bathroom.

when I got home late in the early hours of the morning did they have a spare key for the room or a master key? no - my room mate had to be woken to let me in.

Breakfast was not particularly good - the coffee didnt taste like coffee!, the bread was stale, half the stuff offered ran out without being replenished until we had to leave, boiled eggs didnt come out until about half an hour after our group had sat down to have breakfast and just prior to having to leave.
The whole group had been told by the tour guide that breakfast was at 615 am - everyone was up as instructed - with not a single staff member and not even anyone working at the reception desk, seen until 7am!!, so a bit of an unhappy tour group.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Historical Travel
  • Written October 26, 2008
Tip Photo

• orix profile photo orix
  • Reviews: 73

Moon valley hotel

Although the name is "Hotel" it is more of a guesthouse. They have private rooms with shower and fridge, clean but very basic. Very friendly staff.

• Written May 15, 2008

moon valley

• chizz profile photo chizz
  • Reviews: 451

Crowne Plaza Petra

Nice view of Petra's lunar landscape at sunset. Close to Petra entrance gate. Nice clean rooms but very small. Outdoor pool and miniscule gym. A couple of restaurants. Ample parking area. Good value.

Close to Petra, nice views, good value.

• Written April 3, 2008

View of Petra from Crowne Plaza

• tim07 profile photo tim07
  • Reviews: 1139

Crowne Plaza Resort: Great location & great views

This is an ideal place to stay. The hotel is a short walk to the entrance gate to Petra. This means that you can get there before the crowds from the tour buses on a morning & after a day exploring Petra when you are tired, thirsty & dusty, the hotel is just minutes away.

The hotel has a heated outdoor pool, spa & fitness centre. It also has a variety of bars & restaurants.

• Written February 1, 2008

• Nutflush profile photo Nutflush
  • Reviews: 2

Crowne Plaza Petra: Great location and reasonable price, but tired

Ideally situated to get into Petra early and collapse in the pool at the end of the day to soothe sore feet.

Rooms basic but OK, free internet access.

Apparently it's cheap for a HI CP hotel, but I was using loyalty points, so no idea really!

1 minute from the ticket office!

Outdoor heated pool a bonus in November/ December

• Written December 27, 2007

• stamporama profile photo stamporama
  • Reviews: 211

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Grand View Hotel: Not worthy of 5-star rating

The bed in our room was too firm, the pillow so thin. There's a mini-bar which was empty. The airconditioning seems to have a pre-set temperature as it wouldn't get cooler when you lower the thermostat. Bath towels are worn out and have tears. The worst part was finding someone's dirty underwear beneath your bed! Gosh, don't they clean up the carpets???

Word of caution: when you eat buffet at their resto, request that the bill be charged to your room. If you pay the waiter, he just tells you how much without showing you the tab. The amount he gives has at least a dollar extra pegged to it, perhaps as his personal tip. If you think he deserved it then give him anyway.

The pool is on a balcony that has a spectacular view of the Petra mountains where the ruins are located (see photo). This is the only thing nice to say about this place.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written November 10, 2007

Pool overlooking mountains

• travelmad478 profile photo travelmad478
  • Reviews: 714

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Crowne Plaza Petra: Best possible location and best fruit basket ever!

I spent one night at this hotel, using Priority Club points for the stay. The room was quite comfortable, if not super-luxurious, and the location was absolutely unbeatable--a two-minute walk from the entrance to Petra. (Of course, after you get through the gate, you're still walking for another 45 minutes, but who's counting!)

The staff at this hotel really went out of their way to be friendly and accommodating. Although I was staying at the Crowne Plaza for free, on points, the fact that I was a Priority Club member apparently qualified me to receive the most stupendous fruit basket I have ever seen (it was good for about four entire meals), plus early check-in AND late check-out. Everyone was extremely nice, from the reception desk to the restaurant waiters. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Written June 7, 2007
Tip Photo

The view out my hotel room window

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful