Oscar Hotel

Agoda.com HostelBookers.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 71% more and rated 39% lower than other 3 star hotels

More about Petra

the dining room at al-Arabithe dining room at al-Arabi

Entrance to the SiqEntrance to the Siq

Royal TombsRoyal Tombs

Aneisho TombAneisho Tomb

car rental

by tracyskf

planning to drive from amman to petra and back. would it be better to rent a manual car or auto car?

Re: car rental

by angiebabe

Ive rented in Jordan and been renting cars around Europe, USA, and Morocco for over 10 years now and still reckon its always best to go with a manual car - less problems if you have a breakdown, even if breakdown service is efficient, automatic is one less restriction if you have mechanical problems - eg you cant even push start or coast in an automatic! More fuel efficient too.

If you are wanting automatic because youve never driven a manual then I guess it could be better to look for an automatic - if take this as an opportunity to jump in and get used to manual!

All the best

Re: car rental

by crazyman2

Yes, I'm with Angiebabe on this!

Manual will give you more choices should you run into difficulties. Also, I suspect that you won't find it easy to rent an automatic.
Of course you could rent a manual with cruise control...

Good luck and enjoy Jordan!
Do go on the candlelit tour of Petra! It's sensational!

Travel Tips for Petra

Petra with Children

by Guzzie19

Please have in mind the suny-hot SUN of Petra and all Jordan. Inside Petra its definitely a lot of walking and some with rocky parts. I would say to imagine that you are going hiking to get dirty and walk and walk which must be kind of a task with children under 6 years old.

The walk to the Siq and the first parts may take about an hour... it goes very fast. I would do the carriages for your kid and stay at the Movenpick which is very close to enter the site

Tea with the girls

by lemondrop

On my way up the neverending steps to the Monastery, I passed 2 girls selling cheap trinkets. After chatting with the nice ladies, they asked if I would join them for tea. We walked to an area with some convenient rocks for sitting. Then water was poured into a pot, from what looked like an old petrol container (yikes!). We sat and chatted while we drank tea (it was dee-lish by the way). The women asked my name and then sang a song together, that included my name. The water container was used as a percussion instrument and at every point in the song where my name was uttered, there was a lot of giggling. I couldn't understand the words of course, but I'm sure they were having a laugh at my expense :-D. Then I was asked if I had a wife, and after I said that I was single, they let me know that one of them was unmarried......then it was time for me to run along !!

get up early.

by cachaseiro

get up early in the morning to see petra.
once the tour groups arrive it gets a little hard to see the place properly and get nice photos.
petra opens very early in the morning and if you get there early you have the whole place to yourself. the superb combination of nature and culture.

Animals

by antistar

Petra also had a great collection of animals, some wild like the dogs, some tamed like the camels. All made for great pictures. My particular favourite was the desert puppy outside the Al Deir temple up in the mountains. He was wild, but totally unconcerned by my presence. He just sat and scratched while I took dozens of pictures of him. Then there was the poor sad donkey left by its owner to stand in the fading sun on the mountain top. Not even a flutter of its ear as I stood nearby beeping with my camera.

Oh, and if any bird watcher can tell me what kind of bird it is in the picture, I'd be really grateful.

Weird Experience

by freya_heaven

When walking up the Siq from Petra on our 2nd day, I had quite a weird experience, I kept being drawn to a man walking behind us and just had to keep turning around to look at him all the time. He was in monks clothing with his hood up, very good looking, dark skinned with longish dark hair, flanked by a man on either side who here hanging on his every word. Now anyone who know me, knows I am an total athiest, but if there was a reincarnation of Jesus this was him! Very strange, he certainly had a way with him for his friends to show such concentration in what he was saying.

Comments