Petra Movenpick

See Amenities
leics's Profile Photo

Perfectly located....

by written on January 6, 2015

This was my third 5* hotel on my Jordan trip, and my third Movenpick.

Having stayed in the other two I was slightly surprised by this one. Not quite up to the standards of the others.

The Movenpick Resort Hotel is right opposite the entrance to the Petra site, something which was very much appreciated after a long day exploring (it's a good 30+ minute walk from the Visitor Centre to the Treasury alone, and uphill all the way back!). As with all upmarket hotels in Jordan, one has to be security scanned on entry. I found all security staff in hotels to be exceptionally friendly and pleasant.

The other hotel staff were courteous enough but lacked the friendly cheerfulness of hotel staff in my Dead Sea and Aqaba hotels. The bar staff in particular tended towards the surly, often with no eye contact, and there often seemed to be an air of discreet panic in the lobby when large groups arrived or departed. We got a free invite to the New Year's Eve gala meal and, although the food was really excellent, the (all male) staff were whizzing around in what was clearly a state of some stress.

The front lobby is quite small but the area behind is stunning, created in Jordanian style with the most wonderful bar area to one side. that is Damascene in style, with intricate gold-leaf panelling and ceiling decoration. There are several places to eat, with varying levels of formality, including a rooftop bar which is open in the warmer months. The Damascene-style bar serves decent Jordanian-produced draught beer (Amstel) as well as a range of international and local alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. It also serves reasonably-priced snacks, including fish & chips & burgers (I didn't try either!) and a very good plate of Arabic mezze (which I did try and enjoyed very much).

There's an outdoor pool, a small 'fitness centre' and an equally small steamroom. The lifts are fast and efficient and everywhere is very clean indeed.

My twin-bedded room was perfectly ok, clean and comfortable. There was a balcony but, oddly, no table or chair to use on it. In-room wifi or wired internet access was free. The towels and toiletries were fine, though not quite up to the standards of the other two Movenpicks (Dead Sea & Aqaba) and..more importantly...the toiletries were not reliably replaced. I also had to ask for a bath plug, something which I've never had to do in any hotel before and certainly not something I expected in a 5*.

Breakfast was absolutely fine with a wide range of international and local foods on offer, both hot and cold. Reasonable filter coffee was served at the table.

I experienced my first hotel fire alarm in this Movenpick. I was impressed by the calm recorded announcement (no shrill bells or anything like that) and the calm way we all did as we were told without panic. I was not so impressed when, having gone down four flights of stairs, I found the manager reassuring everyone that it was just 'an error in the system' and sending us all back up to our rooms. Given the very strong smell of (wood?) smoke on my (top) floor, a smell which lessened as one went downstairs, I suspect it wasn't a system error at all.

You can't fault the location of this hotel for visiting the Petra site and, although it is not quite as luxurious as the others I used, it makes a clean, comfortable base. It's a longish and quite steep uphill trek to the centre of Wadi Musa, the town in which Petra lies, and that's not something which really appeals after a long day exploring the site, so be aware that your eating choices outside the hotel are rather limited unless you want to take a taxi.

Unique Quality: Good views of the surrounding mountains from top floor rooms and bar. Less than a minute on foot from the Petra Visitor Centre.

Directions: Petra is well-signed throughout Jordan and within Wadi Musa itself. The Movenpick is an obvious landmark, opposite the site entrance and impossible to miss.

Good food at the restaurant but terrible music

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 6, 2013

Stayed at the Petra Moon and came here for some posh dinner. Food was great and the staff service nothing short of excellent. But you get what you pay for and its expensive.

Please, please though sort out the music, we had a loud awful cover versions of chariots of fire, lionel ritchie, bryan adams, lady in red etc. Made the whole place very tacky which it borders on anyway with the water fountains.

ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo

Right at Entrance to Ruins

by written on December 10, 2011

Called one of the most notable hotels in the Middle East. Lovely hotel, lobby and lounge areas, and great spacious rooms with all the amenities!

Perfect comfortable bed with plush European bedding, coffee and tea area, fridge, safe, bidet and tub and great toiletries.

Shame that since I was on a group tour, we did not have much time to relax in the room, only hit the sack after dinner and then out for breakfast at 7am.

Very high quality food at all the buffets; breakfast, lunch and dinner; lots of choices and varieties, luscious desserts!

cheerssweetie's Profile Photo

Five star convience

by written on August 22, 2010

Movenpick is located 100 metres away from the entrance to Petra. Great place to stay all the comforts of a five star resort.

The pool is especially great after a hard days walk through Petra.

We received a great rate from Hamid from Easy Car Rentals King Abdallah Gardes Amman 078 650 5364 (he has a friend in the business). Worked out to be $80 off the rack rate.

Rate included breakfast.

Unique Quality: Car parking inclusive should you be driving down

If you aren't staying here, don't try to eat here!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 20, 2007

I recently stayed in Petra for three nights and three days. I tried to book the Movenpick but it was sold out. My Lonely Planet guidebook recommended the buffet here, though pricey, as the best in town. I decided to treat myself on the last evening of my stay. When I arrived, I asked for a table for one. The Maitre'D asked for my room number. When I told him that I was not staying at the hotel, he told me it would be a few minutes and asked me to wait in the bar. There were many empty tables in the restaurant and it was a buffet. Nonetheless, I went to the bar and ordered a draft beer for 7 dinar ($10.50). 20 minutes and one beer later, I still had not been called to the restaurant. I asked a server if he could check for me for seating in the buffet and he told me it was open. When I told him that the Maitre'D had asked me to wait in the bar and asked him to check if my table was ready, he looked surprised and then said he would be back. After the same waiter passed me for the 3rd time without saying a word, I felt it was time to leave and seek dinner elsewhere.

This was the lowlight of my stay in Petra. If you are staying elsewhere in Wadi Musa, avoid this hotel unless you enjoy being overcharged and treated like crap.

Vabate's Profile Photo

Aqaba

by written on June 20, 2006

Double rooms are 10JD per night with private shower, mini fridge and TV (Arabic), no breakfast. Petra is tucked away in a lane but its sign is on the street. Located across from Hagoop's Camera Store and between the Jerusalem and Flower Hotels. Do not stay at the latter two hotels.

Less expensive rooms are available if you are willing to share bathrooms and showers.

See Aqaba's website for a map and other accomodation options.

janicewilson's Profile Photo

Delightful all around!

by written on April 11, 2006

Facilities. Impeccably clean. Although the hotel has the veneer of recent construction, the decorative details are wonderfully conscious of its local flavor. Lavish without being oppressive, the common areas are gratifying. The rooms, though not able to maintain the expectations of the common area, were tasteful and well maintained.

Service. Above and beyond.

(a) Upon revealing that this stay was my first Movenpick experience, I received a complimentary upgrade to a suite (love the free upgrades!).

(b) The night manager/guest relations/concierge, Helmi, was truly a gem. Upon my arrival, he volunteered information re external programming for that evening that I would have missed but for his diligence. So that I might have more time in Petra, he arranged, miraculously, at 11 o'clock in the evening, a reasonable flight and driver to the airport for the following day. He managed these arrangements with assured confidence and minimum intrusion, wonderfully removing the burden from my shoulders. All this and Helmi's shift had ended at 10 o'clock. I was grateful as all get out. Finally, he also arranged that we might have a cool shower after our full day tour in Petra and before our flight back to Cairo - after having checked out. Helmi provided service (often unrequested) that knew no boundaries..sincerest thanks!

(c) The onsite restaurants were also quite flexible, remaining open for our extremely late supper.

Unique Quality: Location. The location of the hotel was perfect. Directly acrossed from the entrance of Petra National Park. This was critical given our brief time frame and most appreciated.

Food. The inclusive buffets were wonderful and provided a good showing for Jordian cuisine.

Advice. Although the hotel's channel advertises that candlelight tour of Petra is available only Monday nights, Thursday night has recently been added. The concierge has tickets available for late arrivals.

Directions: Across from Petra National Park.

jadedmuse's Profile Photo

Vacation within a Vacation

by written on November 10, 2005

Believe it or not, we got an internet special of $89 a night....a far cry from their standard $350 a night. We were so lucky!

This hotel is bar none, THE place to stay in Petra....if you can afford the price tag or if like us, you can snag yourself a great deal. We were there in December which is very low season, so that would explain the reduced room rate. You never know - could happen to you. I'm including the email address below, so you can email the resort directly and inquire about pricing during your visit.

Unique Quality: Staying at the Movenpick made us feel like we were having a vacation WITHIN our vacation! The hotel was pure luxury, from the exotic beduoin decor throughout the hotel, to the spa and fitness room, not to mention the late night tea room where we chatted with the ever cordial "host" and sipped tea while nibbling on biscuits....it was wonderful to feel pampered after a day of exploration in the Petra National Park.

The staff is nice, the food is varied and delicious, and honestly, you can't beat the location. It was wonderful.

Directions: Located right at the entrance to the Petra National Park. You cannot beat the location!

1W1V's Profile Photo

is it really worthy ???

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 1, 2005

Basically, when you go to Petra, you are supposed to be out most of the day, leaving at 07.00 and coming back after 6 pm so why staying in such an expensive place ??
Nevertheless, I stayed there in winter and I was very happy to have an efficient heating system in my room !!!!
That only worth the 60 JOD I spent for the night.

Unique Quality: All facilities of a 5 star hotel,
at the gate of Petra site,
Half board scheme

Directions: Near the entrance of Petra

zumodemango's Profile Photo

Close to all: Fantastic

by written on August 22, 2004

Flying with Royal Jordanian to India, we took the option to do the stopover program: stay 2 days in Petra and we chosed this great hotel . The best are all: the lamps and beautiful details everywhere. Of course all the staff and the facilities.

Unique Quality: Great views to the mountains and the village. A brilliant expirience. The terraze was expectacular day and night.
Sauna, Gym, Outdoor Swimminpool.
Fantastic breakfast......fantastic juices......

SMALL detail: in the room there was a small paper where you can donate money for the iraki children.

diageva's Profile Photo

Movenpick Resort

by written on July 18, 2004

The perfect place to stay at Petra, just at the entrance and with all the comforts that one can wish. Swimmingpool, sauna, a very good restaurant, good service ... a wonderful breakfast buffet, shops, the most beautiful terrace-bar at the top, exquisite decoration...

Its true that next time I'll go I will search for something diferent, perhaps sleep at the desert ... wowowwwww ... but if what you want is a good place to rest your sore body this is a good option just at the entrance

Unique Quality: pool, sauna, restaurant, shops, location

Directions: Po. Box 214 Petra
Wadi Mousa, 71810, Jordan

leffe3's Profile Photo

Jordan's finest

by written on March 27, 2003

This is regarded as the finest hotel in Jordan and is located 3 minutes walk from the main gates of Petra. This was not the hotel we had booked! We had booked 4 nights in the Nabataean Castle, some 6kms out of town (not that we knew this at the time!). Also a Movenpick Hotel. February 2003 was a disaster for Jordanian tourism: result being that Petra was almost deserted, the hotel we had booked closed, with all guests being upgraded to the the Movenpick in town.

All I can say is that it is magnificent - Sally got very excited by the sheer quantity of bathroom products! Comfortable, luxurious and incredibly friendly. And a great location.

Unique Quality: Have absolutey no idea what the rates are for this place - we paid significantly less thta we should have!

Nearby Petra Movenpick

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Petra Travel Forum

Need advice about Petra, Jordan? Visit the Travel Forum for Petra and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Petra hotel reviews

Monastery - Al Deir
Taybet Zaman Resort Hotel
Al Afandi
Restaurants
Siq Al-Barid 3: the steps upwards.
Siq Al-Barid 2: a thriving honeycomb
Siq Al-Barid ('Little Petra') 1
A long, long hike.......
Things to Do
Good place to stay, good place to eat.
Stunning scenery
Things to Do
18. Along the 'main street'.
Things to Do
17. Of 'monastery' and visitors.
Things to Do
16. Up to the 'monastery'
Things to Do
15. The baptistry and the scrolls.
14. Wonderful mosaics
13. The 'palace tomb'.
Things to Do
12. Rather like the 'treasury'...
11. Al-Mahkamah
10. The East Cliff
Things to Do
9. The beautiful theatre.
Things to Do
8. The Outer Siq and 'Street of Facades'
Things to Do
7. Not a treasury at all.
6. Into the Siq