Ad-Disi, 00962, Jordan

Travelocity Priceline.com Tingo.com

• Lovely part of the world

Stayed here for one night and arranged a jeep tour through the camp.
    There weren't many people staying here but it was great. The food at night was lovely and the prepared fire finished a great day. The showers are a bit rough but for a desert camp the facilities are surprisingly good.
    You sleep on proper beds and the tents are warm.
    Would stay here again.

More about Captain's Desert Camp

A trusted guide through the desert

by puerto_lover about WADI RUM camp - see websites

Finding a reliable touring friend is important and if you ever go to Jordan you must spend some time under the stars in the fascinating and awesome desert and find the Bedouin guide who can help you to understand this wonderful land.
Of course you won't get 5* luxury nor will you find it particularly easy BUT as an experience that you will never forget, a visit to WADI RUM is a must.

View from the tentView from the tent

Outdoor seatingOutdoor seating

JumpingMICHAEL, VTer MLW20, Wadi Rum, JordanJumpingMICHAEL, VTer MLW20, Wadi Rum, Jordan

The turn off.The turn off.

Wadi Rum Tour

by mrsmrs

Any agency/guide recommendations for day jeep tour and over night camp in desert?

by JohntheFinn

I stayed at Obeid's camp just over a year ago and took his jeep tour next day. I was well pleased.

Website: http://www.wadirumtrips.net/

A few photos from my trip: http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnthefinn/sets/72157622994386006/

by maunaloa

by jordan99

Travel Tips for Wadi Rum

Jebels & Wadi's

by freya_heaven

Wadi Rum is so vast & has such an empty feel. Its not often one feel quite so insignificant in the great scheme of things.

The Jebels feel relatively close together until you walk from one to the other & they seem to get further away ! My Birthday Night is obviously my favourite memory of my time at Wadi Rum.

Wadi Rum is beautiful , and so peaceful

Bedouin immunization against scorpions

by TheWanderingCamel

The mother of a friend told me how she protected her children against scorpion stings :

"I did it for all of my children. When the baby was very small, less than a week old, I took the poison sac from a scorpion (my husband found it for me) and crushed it into some oil. Then I rubbed the oil well into the baby, all over his body. I did that every day for a week. Sometimes the baby had a slight fever afterwards, but not always. And after that, for all his life a scorpion can't hurt him!"

"Does it work?" I asked my friend later. "Yes, maybe" he conceded. "I was climbing somewhere I shouldn't have been, and a scorpion got inside my shirt. It stung me perhaps three or four times. The bites swelled up a bit and turned red, but they were never worse than any mosquito bite and I didn't do anything to try to cure them. They went away in a few days. My father walloped me, though" he added reminiscently.

Posted by Lulu

Camel racing

by TheWanderingCamel

This is a very popular sport among the Bedouin in the winter. In south Jordan the main racing centre is at Humeima, some thirty miles to the north of Wadi Rum, but at least one Friday morning a month there are likely to be races in Wadi Rum. Ask your guide about them if you are interested.

The riders are usually young boys, since they are much lighter. The races are run between the Visitors' Centre and Khazali, according to the distance.

The custom is for the supporters to tag along in cars and cheer the riders on. A camel that has won several races, or even one that is putting up a good performance, can be sold for high sums to buyers from Saudi Arabia and the Gulf.

Scrambling up to the Arch in the sky

by TheWanderingCamel

A number of jeep tours in Wadi Rum go past Jebel Burdah and show you the "bridge" high up on the mountain.

Why don't you take a guide and climb up to it? You really need the guide : the "right" path is easy, but any other can be dangerous - expert climbers have had problems on them. A good guide will have a rope with him to help anybody nervous.

The climb takes about 2 to 3 hours and the same time to come down again. The view from this Arch is among the best to be seen in Wadi Rum Trainers are fine for this, for once trekking sandals are not really recommended. If you have hiking boots with you then wear them.

Posted by Lulu