The Caravan Camp

Hostelworld.com Agoda.com HostelBookers.com

More about Wadi Rum

Bedouins enjoying tea & coffeeBedouins enjoying tea & coffee

Wadi Rum's magnificent sceneryWadi Rum's magnificent scenery

In the wilderness areaIn the wilderness area

Fluffy camels!Fluffy camels!

Luggage hold while doing jeep tour at Wadi Rum

by thuyronald

Hello,

I will be coming to Wadi Rum from Petra and want to do the half day tour before going to Aqaba to catch my 19:30 flight.
My husband and I will have a suitcase each with our backpacks.
Is there a place where we can store these while doing our tour or will our tour hold our luggage for us?

Thanks for any information.
Twee

Re: Luggage hold while doing jeep tour at Wadi Rum

by TheWanderingCamel

There is a very good visitor's centre at Wadi Rum - all visitors must go through it whether they are travelling with a tour or independently. I am sure they will have a luggage storage facitilty there.

Travel Tips for Wadi Rum

Wildlife in the Desert!

by kentishgirl

I thought that this was so cool when I saw them! Wild Camels, just roaming the desert! Imagine....I never actually thought that I would see something like this in my life.....This only lasted a few minuted before we rode on on our camels....but I thought that this was amazing!

Drinking camel milk

by TheWanderingCamel

The first time I drank camel milk, it seemed thin and uninteresting, but I am getting used to it. Camel milk is supposed to be very healthy, possibly because there must be practically no fat content at all. One never hears of cream or butter from camel milk, although there are numerous stories of people living for weeks on nothing else.

For some reason it is absolutely delicious with tea. Incidentally the Bedouin are just as used to drinking tea with milk as are the British!

The goats in Wadi Rum

by TheWanderingCamel

The goats in Wadi Rum wander around during the day in search of pasturage. It is usually the young women and the children who look after them, going with them in case of any trouble and bringing them back in the evening where they given food and water before being shut in for the night against predators (there are still wolves around!).

Most families possess a donkey, and it will go with the goats, carrying food and water for the girls or the children. It is also very useful coming back in the evening, to carry anybody who is sore footed.

Climbing the sandstone jebels

by TheWanderingCamel

Wadi Rum has become a world renowned climbing centre and there is some talk of a climbing school being started there. Most of the climbers are here in the spring and the autumn, but you might find some people all the year round.

The climbing falls into two categories. The classic Bedouin routes are an enjoyable mixture of scrambling and climbing, and within the grasp of anyone with some mountain experience. Some are circular expeditions that involve trekking. The rock routes which have been put up since the mid 1980s are mostly in the higher grades. Minimal use of bolts has been the policy in Rum - partly on ethical grounds and also due to the nature of the sandstone - they fall out after a few years.

See also notes on scrambling in Wadi Rum

Posted by Lulu No gear is available for hire in Wadi Rum. If you are climbing with a guide he will provide it. If you are only planning on a day or so this is the best way to go.

Otherwise, for most of the free routes in Wadi Rum you will need two 50m+ (or more) double ropes, a full set of nuts, full set of cams and a pile of tape and cord for threads. This is apart from the usual 14 or so quickdraws, harness, daisy chain, shoes etc. Climbing in Rum can be very hard on your ropes, and you would be better off having a spare set, in case you destroy, damage or wear out a rope or two. Aid Climbing : In addition to the above rack you will need a full set of varying types of pitons, hammer, hooks, daisies, etriers and perhaps a single rope or two for leading, fixing and jumaring etc.

See www.jordanjubilee.com

sleep under more stars than you can count

by carolienenantwan

If you're planning to go to Jordan you have to spend at least one night in the Wadi Rum desert. We stayed with the guide Mzied (www.mzied.com) and he will give you everything you need. He has a small camp so there will not be a crowd of 30 people (we spend two nights in april and the second night we were the only guests!!). The day we spend hiking, the son give us a sightseeing tour with a jeep and because it was only the two of us Mzied took us on a ride to his camels because he felt like having a glass of camelmilk! Mzied is a perfect cook zo be prepared to get stuffed with all kinds of traditional bedouin food. Enjoy and say hi to Mzied from me.

Comments