Wadi Rum Zeltcamps

1 out of 5 stars1 Star

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Wadi Rum

Teapot over rugTeapot over rug

Simple and tastySimple and tasty

Bread on the fire!Bread on the fire!

The road ahead.The road ahead.

Getting to Wadi Rum

by cleoni

Hi to all.
In September I will be staying in Taba (Sea Star Hotel) my wish is to travel to Wadi Rum for the day or even stay overnight.
I have used the border crossing at Taba into Israel a couple of times and a few years ago I took the ferry from Taba Heights on a day package trip to Petra run by my holiday company which I enjoyed very much.
On my visit this time I would like to go from Taba through both the Egypt/Israel border crossing and then through the Israel/Jordanian border crossing, I feel I will be ok during this part of my journey with Taxis ect unless anyone has information to the contrary.
Once through the border and into Jordan what is the best way to get to Wadi Rum? Should I get a taxi direct and then get the same driver to return me to the border later that day?
Can the Taxi driver take me into Wadi Rum? Or only to the visitors centre?
Can I get a trip from the visitors centre into the Wadi for the day or can I get one staying overnight under the stars/camping? Returning to Egypt the following night?
I will be travelling on my own so not sure if this ends up costing much more, I am willing to go by 4x4 or camel into Rum.
I am a keen photographer and this location is on my to do list before I die, everything I have ever read about Wadi Rum makes me shake with excitement so any tips or advice from members will be most welcome.
Thanks

Carl

by cachaseiro

a taxi can take you to either visitor center or to one of the many tourist camps that you have in wadi rum where it is possible to stay overnight.
here is a link to some of the capms you have out there:

when you are out there you have several options for getting around.
4x4, camel, horse walking and so on.

by unaS

For all info on Jordan use the Jordan jubilee site:

For Wadi Rum specifically see here:

I agree that you shouldn't have any problems using the Taba and Aqaba crossings, especially since you have already done the same previously.

Enjoy!

by orix

I'd try to stay overnight in Wadi-rum, although it is possible to do snap visit. So if you want to do it on the same day I'd take a taxi from the Israel/Jordan corossing to the visitor center and arrange with driver to wait for you there and pick you after you have done the "jeep" ride in the Wadi.

Enjoy!

by nathalie7777

Hello,
Bedouin guides from Wadi Rum are keen to help you organising your transportation from Aqaba or Israeli border. This is a good deal for you, because they arrange the taxi for a better deal that you could have by your own. There are a couple of guides who organise jeep and camel tours as well as walk and hiking, and you can find their contact at www.gotowadirum.com
And they also have a camp in the Sunset Area if finally you decide to stay overnight.
What are you doing in Taba? Perhaps you should also benefit from your stay there to meet the Bedouins from Sinai.

Travel Tips for Wadi Rum

Wadi Rum

by paola5

Hello,
you can find good advice for trip in jordan sites, especially for trekking, Desert touring, eco..and so go on , contacting petragiordania@yahoo.com

it is an expertise. Wadi rum is a incredible experience. Never realized how the moon was so illuminating...What I missing at most? Well ...the silence, the vastness, the rising & setting sun.., at the horizon of the red sand dunes.

Treks & Climbs

by freya_heaven

An excellent book is "Treks & Climbs in Wadi Rum" by Tony Howard.

I would recommend anyone going to Wadi Rum independently to read this. As well as treks it has some amazing items on rock climbing the Jebels & photos

Making cheese

by TheWanderingCamel

The Bedouin women make cheese from the goats' milk. it is boiled and then strained and finally the resulting past is shaped into a round and left to dry. It can be kept for years like this if necessary. When it is to be used, it is soaked in hot water and softened into a paste again. It is usually used then to cook meat or chicken.

Packing for Wadi Rum

by Vabate

Leave your luggage behind at a hotel if you can. I landed in Amman, then left my luggage there, travelling to Petra and Wadi Rum with a small shoulder bag and knapsack. At the end of my trip, I checked in again to the same hotel before my flight home. Very convenient, no charges, and I loved that I had clean clothes and a pair of shoes with no sand in them ready for me. Good climbing / scrambling / hiking sandals or boots. Runners or hiking sandals are probably ok for everything unless you're doing serious climbing. The sand gets everywhere - even in your socks. The combination of rock and sand are hard on your clothes - bring durable wear. Whites will discolor from the red sand. The desert can get cold at night - a pair of sweats and a fleece warm up are a good idea, and comfortable to sleep in. Sunscreen is a must. Seriously consider CHAPSTICK for the desert.
Personnal travel first aid kit is a good idea.
Wet ones / baby wipes or pre-soaked facial cloths are excellent for cleaning up in the desert. Carry a few kleenex with you - in your pockets - they'll come in handy because there are no bathrooms in the desert and frequently no toilet paper anywhere in Jordan. Spare card for digital cameras, cable to connect your camera to a computer to transfer photos, blank CD's, spare batteries, a case to carry it all when hiking. Many tourists winding up taking hundreds of photos in Wadi Rum. A battery recharger is a very good idea. Headlight is great for nightime use. A Flashlight will work too.
Knapsack for day hiking.
Cap or something to cover your head. 1.5L bottle of water - anything that will keep the water cool, it warms up within a few hours.
I carry a small emergency kit in a zip lock bag - 2 tea candles, matches, lighter and foil sheet - no larger than a wallet.

Hot Air Ballooning

by TheWanderingCamel

Hot Air Ballooning has resumed in the Wadi Rum area. It was declared dangerous and prohibited because of the air currents on the massifs, but the village of Shakriya, about 5 miles from Rum Village is more open. You still get the magnificent views of the mountains.

The ballooning is organised by the Royal Aerosports Club of Jordan in Aqaba, phone number 03-205.8050/51 mobile 079-574.1441.

Comments