Safir International Hotel Kuwait

More about Kuwait

The Kuwait TowersThe Kuwait Towers

The elevatorThe elevator

Clock Tower on Arab Gulf StreetClock Tower on Arab Gulf Street

White side of the monumentWhite side of the monument

Studying Arabic in Kuwait?

by Tmac3565

I am a college student interested in learning Arabic. By summertime, I will have completed 2 semesters of Arabic. I am extremely interested in continuing my learning of Arabic over the summer, and I was wondering where the best place to learn the language would be. Some things that are of importance to me are: quality of instruction, location of the school, and activities outside of the school. Since I am going alone, I want to study somewhere where I won't feel secluded or outside of society. Also, scenery is of great importance. All things considered, where would you guys recommend studying Arabic? (I want to study for a period of about 2 months...I'm not sure if that changes anything). ( I know I posted this about a month ago in the Sousse and Damascus forum; however, those are no longer options.)

Re: Studying Arabic in Kuwait?

by wsuwsu

If you are looking for an Arabic learning school in Kuwait, you should go to Kuwait University. They have a department called community service (I think) they teach almost most of the common languages including Arabic….I also think that they don’t charge much maybe a hundred bucks per month if I can remember….
Also, if you would like to practice it you can just go to any (Dewania) ; a place where men set and talk about almost everything; and get to know the guys there and just practice what you have learned….I suppose that you are a guy …Good Luck

Travel Tips for Kuwait

English Newspapers

by kuwait_david

Kuwait has two english newspapers, the Kuwait Times and the Arab Times. To find out what is going on in Kuwait or to just grab the latest news head to one of the hundreds of McDonalds or Starbucks throughout the city where there is a plentiful supply of both newspapers to have a read at.

the head scarves of the men of Kuwait

by angiebabe

I really liked getting shots of the men wearing their head scarves - when I met the family the first night on the patients return to his family there was a large turn out of men present to greet him - all looking like sheikhs in their headscarves and 'gandoras' (moroccan term - yet to find the correct term used in Kuwait as also what the differences are between the colours of the scarves worn). Ive seen white ones worn for weddings and on the men turning up to celebrate their family member's return and red ones around town.

When at Wataniya market, between the Mubarak/Gold souk and the Liberation tower, I bought a red scarf that the seller was adamant was made in or for Saudi and not in China as some of the others I seen, marked as being made in, for sale elsewhere.

I haggled a little and got 1/4 of a dinar off which is about 50p but I dont mind not haggling much when someone seems to be honestly trying to make a living rather than charging any unreasonable price because Im a foreigner or a tourist(as was with the Apple tobacco for Shisha which was more expensive than buying it back in London! - and told him that - and Id bought it in Tunisia for £1 for equivalent size that £5 was being asked for in a Kuwaiti souk! and my flatmate bought some in Doha, Qatar for only £1 as well just a few weeks ago).

So I bought a 58cm red scarf for about £4.50, an interesting souvenir!?

When I asked my taxi driver if theyre (the red ones) the same as the ones the men wear in Syria and elsewhere he just answered no theyre different. But sorry cant elaborate much more than that! But I will ask when Ive got the chance!

PS - Ive since asked and been told that traditionally the red ones are for winter - made of woollen fabric and heavier for warmth whereas the white ones are generally cotton for warmer weather - and that that is the only difference - but recently red ones have started being made in cotton fabric as well (like the one I bought!).

Shuwaikh Industrial Area

by kuwait_david

Head down into the industrial area off of Third Ring Road in the late afternoon to capture a mix of every kind of industry with your camera. You can capture everything from where they make mecca finders to every kind of car repair shop you can imagine. As it gets dark the amount of Neon would put Piccadilli Circus and Las Vegas to shame. A photographers dream, but dull for anyone else, unless you are planning a major "pimp my ride".

Safat Square

by mikey_e

Safat Square is not a particularly important square in Kuwait City (Safat is one of the districts of the capital), but it is a particularly impressive area. The square is very large and open, with a huge fountain in the centre that dominates your view. It is a main passage way from the area of the souq to the Baitak Tower and Liberation Tower areas. It also has a huge number of Indian and Pakistani vendors that clog the passage ways that go under the main streets, selling all sorts of cheap goods from China and India. I just really liked the polished marble aspect of the square and its fountain, which is why I suppose I took so many pictures of it.

McDonalds with a Sea View

by kuwait_david about McDonalds

Located right on the Arabian Gulf McDonalds has a huge outdoor terrace and a rooftop terrace. Both of these are great to sit with a Coffee from the McCafe and watch the local jetskiers and speedboat freaks do their stuff on the water right in front of you. On a Thursday or Friday afternoon sit and watch the locals at play right here.

Comments