4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Booking.com Expedia.com Priceline.com

Costs 26% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Beirut

Outdoor mosaicOutdoor mosaic

More of the luxury storesMore of the luxury stores

A view of the football fieldA view of the football field

Portico on the side of the ChurchPortico on the side of the Church

Travel buddies sought lebanon December 10-jan 11!

by housekat

Hi all!
I'm travelling to beirut alone on december 17! bit worried...travelling alone.
Calling on any travellers destined to be in beirut or around lebanon at this point to get in touch if you want a travel buddy!
didn't think I'd have to do this and not sure of the responses...but please feel free to contact me! I'm interested in doing some volunteer work whilst there, possibly at shatilla but I'm finding them hard to get in touch with.
regards
kate

Re: Travel buddies sought lebanon December 10-jan 11!

by Durfun

Hi, I'd suggest you browse & register through www.travbuddy.com

BTW Beirut is a fantastic city. A VT member with depth of knowledge of Lebanon is MM212. Check his pages & email him for ideas on Shatilla, etc.

Good luck

Travel Tips for Beirut

On arrival visa

by george5b

Citizens of many countries can get their visa on arrival at Beirut International Airport.
Nationals of the following countries may apply for their visa on arrival : EU-15, GCC, Andorra, Australia, Canada, Czech Republic, Japan, Jordan, Norway, Romania, Switzerland, Turkey.
The price of the tourist visa is US$ 35.

Note also that if you are staying less than 48 hours you can also get a transit visa for free (go directly to the transit visa counter).

Suds yer duds

by swings

Although I have not used this facility, it's pretty new, having just opened (about Feb. 2004), and it's billed as "Lebanon's 1st ever coin operated laundromat". The 2 washing machines and 1 dryer are self-service, and you get free detergent and free softener for the 3000 LL ($2 US) that each washer load costs (I'm not sure if that includes the dryer or whether that's extra). An added plus is the soft water that they advertise they use, as the water in Beirut is very hard... and hard on the fabrics.

There is also an ironing service, which I think is also extra, plus a lounge area with TV and coffee and snack machines. It's located on Sidani Street, Hamra, opposite Marroush; mobile 03 376187; e-mail laundromatic1@hotmail.com

Wires

by sachara

Walking in Beirut, like in other cities, I'm always intrigued by all kind of wires.
Where are they for, does it work, how safe are they ? So many wires as here in Beirut I didn't see before.
Maybe after restoration of the city, wires like this will also disappear.

Balloon

by themagiclake

Another sign, we have signs everyday, we know we are doomed to have signs every single day, we never stopped to have since the first day we knew each other, and we are sure to have till the last day of our life, nice balloon, and nice Lebanese flag on it!

The other Travelors

by malasli

When you see the immaculately clean streets, the flowers growing in between avenues on those islands near the corniche you realize: Someone is doing some serious cleaning and gardening here. At night, I saw a guy who looked pretty South Indian to me do some sweeping: Bingo, he was from Tamil Nadu. Another day I chatted with a homesick Sri Lankan maid, who was about to go to a photoshop to send her little daughter and family at home her photos. She hadn’t seen her kid for 3 years. Her sister had been hospitalized because of the Tsunami disaster. These people come to Lebanon to make and save the money they otherwise never would—like 100 Dollars a month, which is an okay live-in housekeeper salary in the Middle East, if you don’t have any other expenses. (“Normal” Beirutis live on salaries more comparable to Western standards). They both didn’t look very happy—Think about the likely status of Hindus and Buddhists “multiple Gods and idolatry” (even though you find statues of “Mary-in-a-birdcage”, just like Shiva &Co. in India, at every corner) in a relatively modern, though predominantly monotheistic country doing the lowest work.

The Sri Lankan and I wanted to stay in touch, but when I gave her my home number—she said she didn’t do e-mail—it turned out she had thought I lived there. Later I read some articles about the situation of live-in maids: Pretty scary, if you ended up with a loony boss.

Comments