Ein Mreisseh, Beirut, Lebanon

Booking.com Travelocity AMOMA.com

Satisfaction Poor

• malasli's Profile Photo

Upscale and friendly for a budget price

My hotel:

Regis

I stayed at Regis, where I got a huge post-bombing discount. The staff, two young guys, one of which owns the place asked me to share lunch with them, 'we are lıke family here' gave me free tea and more tissues, whenever I ran out. As it was not very hot during the day but the sun really fries your brain there, at least mine, and the computer there was very slow when it came to updating a travel website-- I got to hang out with them a bit in the lobby area. They helped me make otherwise confusing locals calls, and I wasn’t even charged for it. No pennypickers them Arabc speakers. It was very homely this way, I didn’t feel like some stranger but like family, though the place seemed very modern. Breakfast would have been included but I have some dietary restrictions. It was not good for me to have the TV because I spent at least 1 afternoon just catching up on movies, a documentary about Iran that made me forget that I was already abroad and pretending to myself that I understood the Arabic in the soap operas.

When I left to get a cab to the bus station, one of the guys working at the hotel volunteered to help me get my luggage out to the taxi spots, howled one for me and negotiated the price. Don’t expect this—but before I knew what was going on and sat in the cab, he had paid for me too!

During that time period when few people were visiting Lebanon I paid less than 15$ per day, also because I was staying longer, but I think the normal price is a bıt over 20$, for a single. I think they had AC, but I am not sure because I never use it. The air blowing in from the sea was quite nice.

Unique Quality: It’s a block from the corniche, near the Palm beach hotel, and from my huge window I could see the Mediterranean sea, bathroom attached, hot water, electricity outlets, and with remote control and 60 or so stations. They had Zee TV!

Internet in the hotel, 3 minutes to the sea. They guys, both under 30, are very unpretentious and genuinely friendly.

Directions: Around the corner of a hotel called Palm Beach or something, area is called ;Ain al Mresse;

• reezal's Profile Photo

Budget Hotel

Pleasant, friendly staff. Rooms clean with TV, AC and bath with/out bath....Near Ain Mreisse Area, 3min to Mcdonald and Hard Rock Cafe. 20 minutes walk to Manara Lighthouse & 35 min walk to Piegeon Rock.(Good Exercise)

Rates Double: USD18/Without b'fast
    Booking email:regis_hotel@yahoo.com or tel.

Unique Quality: If u need budget price, close to the sea(Paris Avenue) and where the locals spend most of thier time(Paris Avenue) its Regis!

U can also use their kitchen...

More about Beirut

Stalagmites and stalactites in the caveStalagmites and stalactites in the cave

Jam'iya DurziyaJam'iya Durziya

One of the chandeliersOne of the chandeliers

Out towards Movenpick resortOut towards Movenpick resort

First Visit to beirut need suggestions

by mozinio

Hi

My friend and I are planning to visit Beirut during the beginning of July. we were wondering what area is best to stay in? we love partying so could anyone recommend us the best area to stay there.

Also which clubs are the most happening ones there? are there any afterhours party or underground clubs that are open until early morning?

What is the best way to get around there? Really appreciate your replies.

thankss

Re: First Visit to beirut need suggestions

by DDjinaj

then I would say Hamra it's a great area. walking distance to downtown too (lots of cafes and restaurant). I found the north side of beirut also great, by the sea, lots of locals.

Beirut is a great city! you will enjoy it.

Dilja

Re: First Visit to beirut need suggestions

by remy_ayache

Hi,

i suggest you visist SKY bar, white or BUDDHA bar and of course the GEMAYZEH and MONOT stree. All are located in down town and nearby.

Cheers!

Travel Tips for Beirut

Lebanese Pounds

by MrBill

The exchange rate of the Lebanese Pound (LBP) to the US dollar (USD) is approximately 1500 to one (1514.30), which converts to 1855 against the EUR and 2725 against the British Pound at today's exchange rates. The Lebanese Pound has been a stable currency recently, so there is no worry about holding small amounts or soaring rates of inflation which would devalue your left-over Pounds.

There are bank machines everywhere in the city center. You will see some majors such as Societe Generale and Credit Lyonnaise, due to the French colonial influence, and France's influence in the Middle East, as well as, many pan-Arab banks, such as Arab Bank, which is active outside of the ME as well. Of course, there is also the Bank of Beirut, which is also an international bank. Therefore, I would not be too concerned about the security of your bank card. You can either look for a name of a bank you know and trust, or for the banking network, such as Cirrus or Maestro, which your local bank is a member, and then use your bank card. Most of the bank machines give you a choice of USD or LBP, so if you do not know how long you will be in the city and do not want to be bothered reconverting unspent Pounds, you can take out a small amount of LBP for spending money, and then carry some dollars in reserve. Of course, you can pay with credit card almost everywhere in the city center without any difficulties.

Also, everyone from store keepers, to waiters, to the taxi drviers are keenly aware of the various exchange rates between dollars, euros and pounds, so you can usually pay for anything in cash, and receive a fair exchange rate. However, you may get your change back in local pounds, and do not expect to give a taxi driver a $50 dollar note for a $3 taxi ride, and expect him to have the correct change on hand.

Money changing and getting around in Beirut is not a problem at all, so don't worry about it.

Archaeology

by travelmad478

Beirut has been occupied for a long, long time. There are still Roman ruins scattered around the city, and the clearance of downtown that accompanied the Solidere reconstruction project unearthed quite a bit of history. Just east of the Place l'Etoile and west of the Maronite cathedral is one set of Roman columns and foundations (pictured here), which no one seems to know what to do with yet. Just west of the plaza, sandwiched between gleaming new office buildings and the Grand Serail, are the remains of a large Roman baths complex--these are nicely excavated and dressed up with attractive stone surrounding walls and balcomies. Things like this can be in some unlikely places in Beirut--I spotted one lonely Corinthian column, all by itself, right in the middle of Hamra's bustling shopping district. I spied a lot of other ruins crumbling under demolished buildings around town, but it's hard to tell if they date from 200 or 2000 years ago.

Solidere

by iwys

Solidere is the name of the urban renewal project for the reconstruction of Downtown Beirut or BCD, following the destruction inflicted by the Civil War. Solidere, which was founded in 1994, is an acronym for Societe Libanese pur le Developpement et la Reconstruction du Centre-Ville de Beyrouth - you can see why it needs an acronym.

They seem to be doing a great job. I was really impressed by the elegant new buildings in and around Place d'Etoile.

water sports

by Moustafa_LB

Lebanon's long varied coastline and its Mediterranean climate make it an ideal place for water sports. Numerous resort complexes, beaches and swimming clubs have aquatic amusements and sports on offer, including water skiing, surfing, underwater fishing, sailing, scuba diving and snorkeling.

Equipment for water skiing and scuba diving can be rented from clubs and shops.

Église des Capuchins

by mikey_e

This particular church is a Capuchin one, which means that it is a Catholic Church (like the majority of the churches in the heart of Beirut). It is not a particularly impressive church, although its proximity to the Serail indicates the importance of the church in Lebanese politics. It has some impressive stained glass windows, which are a bit hard to admire because the surrounding buildings can block out some of the direct sunlight that makes them really shine. When I visited the church in November 2010, it was under renovations, so the neo-Gothic church may be more impressive once the works are completed.

Comments