Hala Hotel Apartments

Bait Al Falaj St P.O. Box 555 PC 111, Muscat, Oman
Orbitz.com AMOMA.com Otel.com

More about Muscat

Muscat seen from the airMuscat seen from the air

Cars in Muscat, OmanCars in Muscat, Oman

23° 37' 5.4600" N 58° 33' 47.0100" E23° 37' 5.4600" N 58° 33' 47.0100" E

23° 37' 4.7200" N 58° 33' 45.8200" E23° 37' 4.7200" N 58° 33' 45.8200" E

Moving to Muscat

by cebish01

Hi - can anyone advise me on the cost of living in Muscat. I know this is a very subjective question, but a basic understanding of costs would be invaluable. For example, I have been told that as a western expat I might spend around OR 100 a month on food. Is that feasible?
Any divers who might advise me on whether I should bring my dive rig with me, or buy in Muscat?
Much appreciated,
Craig

Re: Moving to Muscat

by DSwede

I cannot speak for the cost of living, but I did search out some dive equipment while there. Diving equipment is relatively expensive. If you have your own and plan to go on more than just a couple weekend dives, I would bring your own.

The diving off the coast is much better the further north you go, up by The exclave of Musandam.

Travel Tips for Muscat

Money exchange in Muscat

by georeiser

It's easy to change money in Oman. With few exception you can change your money at any exchange offices with almost the same rate. But smaller offices is gives normally a better rate than large exchange offices in the tourist areas.

Before the immigration office at the airport there is a counter where you have to pay for the visa. You can also change your money here. The rate was 1 rial for 2,7 USD. The best rate I got was at a small exchange office 20 metres to the left of the Naseem Hotel in Mutrah (1 rial for 2,5 USD). The worst rate was at Mustafa Sultan Exchange close to Mutrah Souq (1 rial for 2,9 USD). They didn't want to give me a receipt eighter. Don't change your money at this place (see picture 1).

One Rial is divided into 1000 baisa.

Grand Mosque: Male Prayer's Hall

by victorwkf

The male prayer's hall of the Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque is simply huge, elegant and can house up to a few thousand Muslims at any one time. Besides the beautiful architecture, the carpet of this prayer room is actually made from one single piece which is one of the largest in the world !

snorkelling/dolphin watching

by RHONDAANN

We spent our honeymoon staying at the Shangri la Muscat ......... Fantastic. One of the highlights of our holiday was going out with Mike from Gulf leisure. We booked the trip before we left the U.K. We were collected from our hotel, spent a fabulous morning dolphin watching, Mike taught me to snorkel, great fun. Highly recommended. www.gulfleisure.com hat, towel & sun cream is all you need

Riyam Park & watch tower

by victorwkf

Near to the famous Mutrah Cornicle is the Riyam Park where you can walk among the trees and flowers for a relaxing time. There is a white coloured watch tower in the shape of an incense burner located on top of a hill, and you can actually go all the way up to have a beautiful view of the city. Unfortunately, I did not go up due to limited time.

Steak was good, but...

by johnaalex about Al Tajin Steakhouse

The Al Tajin is often referred to as the best steakhouse in Muscat which maybe true, but for my money it falls short of being a great steakhouse. The choice of meat is limited and the menu gives no indication of size. The Australian tenderloin I had was nice and juicey, but not that tasty and was at best 200 grammes. I would have preferred something twice that size.

The other main menu item is lobster.

The menu is unusual in that it has several all inclusive options. So decide what you want to pay (my tenderlion cost 22 OMR) and for that price you get your salad bar starter, main course and desert inlcuded PLUS unlimited drinks including beer, wine and house spirits.

When they take your order you have fill in a pre-printed card to specify what meat you want, what sauce, what side dish etc and then hand that to the waiter.

The ambience of the place is such that you may feel like you have been sent back in time to the 1970s.

If they updated the decor and increased the choice of meats, with an al a carte option I would consider going back. Steak was OK.

Comments