West Bay Al Dafna, Doha, 23488, Qatar

Museum of Islamic ArtMuseum of Islamic Art

our sushiour sushi

Arch roundabout - city centre, DohaArch roundabout - city centre, Doha

by ruviagsalud

I'm a Canadian citizen wishing to visit Doha, Qatar to visit a friend that works there. I have looked into the requirements of obtaining a visit visa to Qatar and I am getting mixed comments or information on what is required. The information that I'm getting is making me more confused rather than making it clear to me what I need to do and what I have to bring. I was told that I needed to get a hotel reservation certificate from a known hotel in Doha from some people and getting a different answer from other people and websites regarding visit visa requirements in Qatar.
I don't really need a means of accommodation because my friend has a flat that has 3 bedrooms and shares with other expats there as well.
So my question is, "Do I really need to have a hotel reservation in Doha to be able to be granted a visit visa in Qatar and how long will my visit visa last?"

This would help my trip go a lot smoother if I find out what I really need to do.

Thank in advance for all the comments that I'll get. Have a good day everyone.

CHEERS!

Re: I'm a Canadian Citizen wishing to go on a visit to Doha, Qatar. Do I need hotel voucher?

by HansDK

How long do you intend to stay in Qatar?

According to: http://www.destdoha.com/visainfo.html
Visa regulations have recently been liberalized and it is now much easier to enter the country. Nationals of 33 countries (includin Canada) can now receive a visit- visa on arrival for a period of two weeks.

by ruviagsalud

Thanks for that insight. Now I'm wondering if they need me to show them 3 months of bank statements too? I read that on the Qatar Embassy Website located in Washington, DC.

by george5b

Yon don't need to apply at the embassy. On arrival you get a visa for 100 QAR (~30 C$). No additional paperwork needed except for your passport.
However it is a good idea to have a reservation, as hotels in Qatar are sometimes fully booked, especially on weekends.

by nancynb

We (two Canadians) visited Qatar in 07 and it was easy to acquire the Visa at the airport. Just pay your money and you are good to go. If you require an address, just give the address of your friends flat. I don't think you will have a problem.

by ruviagsalud

Would it be a problem though entering if I don't make a hotel reservation? Just in case I do what nancynb is suggesting me to do. As Canadian citizens we also don't need a sponsor to get the visa right? Because like I said I'm getting mixed answers. Some say I have to have a sponsor some don't. I need clarity please.

by george5b

As I said before, just hand over your money or credit card and you'll have your passport stamped. No questions asked, no reservations necessary, no sponsor needed for Canadian citizens.

by almalki

You should have no problem gettting your VISA at the air port.Provide them with your friend's address.I am not sure of the charges but it should not be more then US $ 35.
I have one advise for you. try to avoid the Gulf during the summer time. the weather is really hot and humaid.
It is more pleasent during October to April.

by ruviagsalud

I have learned that I have to take Qatar Airways to enter Qatar if coming in a tourist. Is that true?

Thanks for the response that I'll get. Have a great day.

by george5b

No. It used to be like that a couple of years ago, so some sites still quote the old rules. But now you can arrive on any airline and still get the on-arrival visa

Travel Tips for Doha

Roundabouts!

by travelmad478

Doha has to be the international capital of roundabouts (traffic circles, for the Americans reading this). Almost every single good-sized road intersection has one--for some reason, traffic lights just don't seem too popular. It's probably got something to do with the fact that a lot of flat roads and very flashy cars inspire drivers to take some liberties with speed limits--having to go through a roundabout every hundred meters will do a lot to slow you down!

Desert rain, wind, and sun...

by bpwillet

Bring durable baggage as you do not want it breaking and bursting when you arrive. There are plenty of people to help you out at the baggage reclaim. It is HOT in the summer! Light weight clothes are ideal. In the winter it does tend to rain for a week or so in December and can be quite cool at night. Pants and short sleeves are comfortable during the day, if not the use of shorts. You can get most any type of supplies in Qatar, especially Doha that you could find at home. But always bring extra just in case you think you may not be able to find what you need. It can be quite bright in Qatar with not too much to block the rays off the sand. Sand storms can be regular at the end of winter so be mindful of expensive equipment. I brought my digital camera with me and it worked just fine. Though some filters may be nice to have.

Camel Racetrack at Shahhaniya

by frankcanfly

We spent an afternoon at the Camel Racetrack out in Shahhaniya. I absolutely recommend this experience! Even when there is no racing going on, you can stand next to the track and watch the Camels race past.

Even better and more intimate, wait between the Camel 'village' and the track. This is where they slowly walk past, waving and exchanging friendly gestures with the handlers. Some will offer you to pet and interact with the camels. The camels are actually very curious animals, some of them are quite cute.

To get to the track, take the Dukhan road out of Doha to the town of Shahhaniya. At the only circle in town, turn to the right, then turn left at the next circle. Just park the car and wander around the on the right, and the camel village on the left. If there is no racing going on, you can drive out and circle the track. You can see the Camel owners in the SUVs driving along and observing.

Persian Carpets

by frankcanfly

While in Doha, I browsed for carpets of many varieties. You can expect to pay big money for hand-made Persian carpets. The best are a woven combination of silk and wool. Just try to educate yourself before making a huge purchase.

If you don't want to spend so much (it's all relative), go for one of the machine made carpets. They are consistent and nice. That's probably what I'll get.

Sabtco bus from Dammam or Hofuf to Doha

by K1W1

There is a bus from Saudi to Qatar and provided you are from one of the 33 countries on the Qatar list, you can get a visa at the border - despite claims by a leading guidebook saying otherwise. The cost of the trip from Hofuf to Doha is 80 SAR's

Comments