Ibraheem Al Khaleel St, Mecca, Saudi Arabia

Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

• Dar Al-Tawhid Intercontinental Hotel

I decided on staying at this hotel after looking at its location in Google Earth and reading reviews on this site. It is on the west-side of Haram, across from Gate Malik (King) Fahad.

There are numerous advantages in staying here... as soon as you step out of the hotel, you are literally on the marbled courtyard around Haram; another 200 feet and you're in the mosque. This was an important feature for me as my mom has arthritis and can't walk too far in one go.

The part of the mosque you enter is the newly-built section. One fact that I must mention here is that although the "entrance" is very close to the Intercontinental (and also the Hilton), this is the new part of the mosque and the walk once inside to the open center of Haram is still quite long. However, it is air-conditioned and you are inside so you can sit to take breaks /pray if you have older people with you.

Viewing of Kaaba from the hotel room is only possible if you’re above the 17th floor and on the Haram-facing side of the hotel. I couldn’t get such a room even though we were on a higher floor on the other side.

When I went to Makkah last, I was a kid and my parents couldn’t afford a decent hotel. That was not a pleasant memory, and so this time I made sure that I house my parents at a nice place so they can relax comfortably and go to pray easily. The hotel is a five-star hotel with excellent service. It is expensive ($200+ /night in low season) but it is well worth it. The staff was superb and the rooms very nice. We were given a kind of a suite - enter into a private lobby and from there we had two rooms. The rooms were big and very plush with French colonial design. The hotel offers a delicious breakfast buffet, and if your room rate includes it (ours did), I suggest you avail it. Good food from all over the world. Get all charged up and then head out for an Umrah.

[Cont'd below]

Unique Quality: The hotel is next to the Hilton, which also houses a shopping mall and a food court. (One note: I highly recommend trying out Al-Baik Chicken. I ate it in Madina the day we were leaving and was sorry I didn’t have it sooner.) In between Hilton and Intercontinental, near the shawarma eatries, you will also conveniently find the bus terminal for going to Madina and Jeddah. I recommend the government buses as they leave (relatively) on time. Most private ones will make you wait in the bus and won’t leave until they fill it up. Or you could charter a cab/car. We used the Govt. bus and it was just fine.

All in all, we were all very happy with the hotel. I wanted our trip to be perfect and memorable and this hotel was great to come back to for recuperation. If you can afford it, I highly recommend it. I am planning on taking my parents and my kid next year and would love to stay here everytime. You can't go wrong with this hotel.

I hope this review helps you in making a decision.

• DunaKal's Profile Photo

See the Holy Ka`aba from your window

I have not stayed at this hotel,,but I had my cousin stay there,,she really enjoyed her stay,,specially that it`s 2 minutes walk from the Holy Mosque.

Unique Quality: check this link...for map of Makka:

More about InterContinental Dar Al Tawhid

Advise about hotels for umrah

by Shaque

I intend to go for umrah in april 2007 inshallah. My parents have health issues and problem walking. I need to stay in some hotel which is very close to haram in both Makkah and Medina and is comfortable as well. Which ones should i go for, when i take a package from some travel agent?

Also is it possible to get a wheelchair from hotel to haram?

RE: Advise about hotels for umrah

by Nazeel

Majid ul Haram is surrounded by full of hotels. As april is not hajj/ramadhan time, it will be very easy to find one Just go there select or if you want to book in advance search in google as 'hotels in mecca' you will get a big list with all ranges most of them are very close to haram and during this period rents will be very cheap. Wheel chairs are available from haram compound and i thing some hotels provide it.

RE: RE: Advise about hotels for umrah

by Shaque

Thanks for the reply. I will have to pre-book as with old, ill parents i wont have time to do much research around the place and select one which suits us best. I need to find (from people who have been there recently) one which is the "nearest" in terms of distance and convenience. Is Dar-ul-Tawheed the nearest to haram? Does anyone know from which hotels would i able to get a wheelchair to take us to haram ( and may be through umrah too )?

RE: RE: RE: Advise about hotels for umrah

by Nazeel

If this dar al tawhid is the intercontinental hotel, it is just infront of Haram gate. I don't know if they are providing wheel chairs call on +9662-5411111.

RE: Advise about hotels for umrah

by Nyles

The Sofitel in Mecca is also very close to the haram ... it is at the Marwah side of the haram and is closer to the kaaba than Dar al Tawheed. In Medina, the Oberoi is near the ladies section of the masjid and an excellent hotel.

Comments