Damascus Hotels

Our Members Say

• photonina profile photo photonina
  • Reviews: 35

Al Rabie Hotel: for backpackers and others

I stayed there only one day when I was back from Palmyra. and the only reason I stayed there was because Al Haramain was full. I payed 350 SP (about 7 USD) for single. there was good heating in the room (taking into consideration that I traveled there in late December and it was quite cold in Damas).
bathroom and toilet was shared though.
generaly the place is ok. still, I prefered Al Haramain, maybe because I stayed there before... anyway, as soon as there was found some free place for me in Al Haramain I returened there.
actually these two hotels are situated becide each other on the same street.

it's ok.

• Related to: Study Abroad, Backpacking
  • Written January 3, 2006

Al-Haramein Hotel

Al Haramein is situated in an old Damascus house and has a nice indoor courtyard, where you can read the books with traveller's tips, talk to other travellers and eat your food.
The rooms are basic and you pay 185 SP (in July 2002) for a bed in a room. You can also sleep on the roof. There are three toilets to share and three showers (with hot water) in the basement.
It is a popular hotel for travellers and you better book a room/bed in advance.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written April 3, 2005

In Al Haramein

Al-Rabie Hotel

Last time I was in Damascus I stayed at Al-Rabie Hotel because there I could get my own room with bathroom. There was no singles available so I paid 800 SP for a doubble. The room had a small bathroom, three beds and a very high ceiling. It was just by the nice courtyard.
At Al-Rabie you can also pay for a bed in a room, which is much cheaper than what I paid.
If you want to have breakfast (a boiled egg, olives, bred, butter and jam and coffee or tea) you pay 75 SP extra.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written July 5, 2005

Al - Rabie Hotel

• JohnniOmani profile photo JohnniOmani
  • Reviews: 552

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Ar Rabie Hotel: Great Atmosphere

This a personal favorite of most travellers and for good reason. This one is an old house with an attractive fountain courtyard which is a great place to chill out after hitting the streets of the city for a full day. It has an excellent atmosphere and your best chance at meeting fellow travellers.

• Written May 10, 2006

The nice courtyard at Al-Rabie Hotel

As Al-Haramein, Al-Rabie is situated in an old Damascus house. Al-Rabie has got a nice courtyard shaded by green leaves and with a fountain. It is a nice place to sit in to relax, read, write postcards or talk to other people.

• Related to: Architecture, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written July 4, 2005

At Al-Rabie Hotel

• siaki68 profile photo siaki68
  • Reviews: 112

Salaam Hotel: A nice, clean hotel

Salam hotel is a nice, clean and quiet place, located south of Takiyya as-Suleimaniyya. Although the staff and the owner don’t speak very good English, they are very polite and they will make you feel like home. All rooms have private bathroom and TV.

• Written April 28, 2006

Salaam Hotel

• 78Eva profile photo 78Eva
  • Reviews: 121

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

al-Salaam hotel: This one is a good option

I stayed at the al-Salaam hotel for about a week. It's near the train station in a side street, and I would definitely recommend it. It is 25 dollars for a double room and thus quite cheap. The staff were friendly and did you favours if you just uttered a wish.
The rooms were clean, if a bit small, with a wardrobe and a TV that had surprisingly many channels. The bathroom is big and clean and the showers deliver enough hot water for a long time which was nice. There is no phone in the rooms. You can have breakfast for an additional three dollars, but we never had it. it's a little bit of a walk to where most good shops and restaurants are, but not really far away either. I felt comfortable here.

Nothing special, but a good clean room for a very good price.
The muezzin is really quite loud at night in this location. You have to ask for fresk towels, they won't be renewed just like that. Have your own toilet paper, we never got any from the hotel.
But it's still a good place.

• Related to: Study Abroad, Women's Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written December 20, 2003

• Lysander1971 profile photo Lysander1971
  • Reviews: 1

Hotel Al salam: Reasonably Priced Hotel

Comfortable, clean and very well priced..... built out of a resedential apartment, the rooms are really quiet spacious, with high ceilings and all air conditioned, for $20 a night, it was indeed a treat, cofee and food are available served to your rooms including breakfast, the staff is friendly and the spoken english is average.

They have satellite tv now... but really it is much more fun to sit in the lobby talking with fellow travellers...

• Written February 9, 2006

• cimbom profile photo cimbom
  • Reviews: 5

Al Maged Hotel: Cheap, clean and has a nice garden

I stayed in this hotel 2 times and I was happy with the hotel. It has nice rooms with Air Conditioning, TV, fridge and price of rooms starts from 20$ goes up to 80$ (excludind breakfast). Comparing with its price it is an excellent hotel.

It has a silent, green and cool garden where you can sit and spend a few hours. There is tea and nargile service in the garden.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Business Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written May 30, 2006

• Mittnic profile photo Mittnic
  • Reviews: 115

Hotel Al-Mayed: where we stayed

It's one of few unexpensive hotels with a web site. Central location and ok arabic styled rooms. One can probably find better and worse.

• Written February 10, 2005

Al-Mayed room

• Sambawalk profile photo Sambawalk
  • Reviews: 1601

Al-Rabie: Meeting Place - Al-Rabie Hotel

This hotel has a very nice meeting place or sitting room where fellow travellers meet and exchange information.

Single room costs SP300 and double is SR600. Room condition is ok and the shared shower room is big. Toilet? ok la!
The reception is friendly and helpful.

• Written December 15, 2004
Tip Photo

• fouads profile photo fouads
  • Reviews: 179

3 star hotel

This area called Baramke and there is many 3 & 4 stars hotels but have cheap prices as known . you can choose one and enter it and ask to see the rooms and some of them give the breakfast too .

• Written August 16, 2003

damascus

• June.b profile photo June.b
  • Reviews: 1339

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Al Mahaba & Al Salam Hotel: Private room, not touristic.

I arrived in Damascus after going around the country, so I have to stay 4 days in Damascus before flying out. It's November 16, 2010, and I didn't realized it's a busy tourist month. I'm supposed to stay in Ghazal but they're fully booked even the hostel room and the open rooftop, so I wander, checked other hotels and seems like everything is full. I passed by couple of hotel along Yusuf Ameh street and there're rooms available but a bit expensive on my budget until I found the AlMahaba & AlSalam Hotel which fit right on my budget -- at SYR1,800 which went discounted to SYR1,600/night (about $35) no breakfast though.

I discovered after a couple of minutes that it was the last room because when another guy entered, they told them that they're already full and the guy was complaining that he'd went around to several other budget hotels and all are full.

The hotel is located along Al-Ittihad street which is along the corner of Yusuf Azmeh street, the main Al-Thawra highway is few minutes walk. Old Damascus/Omayyad Mosque is also about 10-15 minutes walk from the hotel. The entrance/elevator is beside the reception office. It's like an apartment made into a hotel. Old building, the room I had was on the 6th floor beside the elevator. No breakfast room of sort, just your room, no service whatsoever but there's a guy at the end of the corridor whom you could ask for help like he sent my laundry and gave it back to me in the afternoon at a small tip of course.

The room is big enough with 3 beds - and I'm alone - everything is old, TV is like black and white with 4 arabic channels, fridge is old, aircon but it was a cold month, the old-looking bathroom is big but the shower stand is open - no curtain - so when you take a shower the water will mess the whole bathroom. Close the window to minimize the traffic down below which could pose discomfort for light sleepers.

For the price and location and privacy - I've never seen europeans in the hotel - nor did I ever meet or bump into anyone staying at the hotel at any of my four days stays - I would say this is an okey place to stay esp. when most budget options are full, and you choose to have privacy and avoid huge tourist hordes, and the receptionists are kind albeit not speaking in english so I've struggled with my moderate arabic.

I would recommend this hotel.

Nice reception staff, not within the tourist crowd but not far away, my own private room, no disturbance.

• Related to: Photography, Backpacking, Historical Travel
  • Written November 22, 2010

3 bed for single

• JJfromNJ profile photo JJfromNJ
  • Reviews: 27

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sleep on the Roof!

As far as I know, there are no hostels in Damascus, only guesthouses. A lot of the guesthouses offer ample roof space, sometimes in excess of 100 people! It's also much cooler up there at night (some of the rooms there are scorching!) and is a good experience. Very cheap too!

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written January 29, 2009

• Janani profile photo Janani
  • Reviews: 176

Funduq al Mahab wa as Salaam: Convenient Location

I had not booked an hotel room in Damascus, which was really a mistake, as the town was very busy at the time I travelled there and I was unable to get a room in any of the places I had planned to, when I arrived by train late in the evening. At one of the places I tried, the receptionist kindly called some other hotels and said there was a room free at this one and that the hotel would send a member of staff to meet me and guide me there, which they did. I was given a key to my room and my passport was retained by the hotel until I left the next day.

The hotel is on the main road, so there was a certain amount of traffic noise but it was very quiet inside. The young man who had shown me to the hotel told me that the hotel is used mainly by Arab people from neighbouring countries and they had very few European guests. The shower room was clean and fairly well looked after (I think the toilet was not a European style one) but the room’s furniture was a little shabby, although still clean.

No breakfast was offered but there were plenty of places nearby selling drinks and snacks on the main road and it was easy to get a taxi from outside the hotel to the main station.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Budget Travel