Hamah Hotels

• June.b profile photo June.b
  • Reviews: 1360

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Riad Hotel: Centrally located, clean rooms

Arrived at night and I was shown a single room in the middle of the corridor on the 3rd floor (or 4th?) I think, no elevator so you have to use the stairs. The room doesn't have a window, the nice guy making up the beds showed me another room beside the terrace where they're drying their laundries, it has a small window facing the terrace, perfect for me in case my claustrophobia attacks.

Clean room with queen-size bed, white shiny paint on walls like it was newly painted, TV with lots of english channels including Foxmovies - a plus! The toilet/hot shower is big and clean as well.

It's comfortable at SYP1,200 (about $26) without breakfast.

The staff are very friendly including the guy who's making up the rooms who said that "I'm very pleased that you're staying with us" in both arabic and english.

Abdullah - the guy at the common salon who entertains everyone is very very accommodating, he's also the one in charge of explaining to people there about the tours. He speaks really excellent english - with "the accent".

I took the Palmyra tour with a group arranged by the hotel at 7:00am. I could have done it on my own but well, I got compromised, I don't know how to say no sometimes. Anyhoo, the tour included a stopover at Qal'at Ash Shmemis, I think about 4 stops around the ruins of Palmyra with the citadel as the last stop, then we headed back to Hama.

Cost of the tour was SYP2,500 each (about $55), in a van with an arabic speaking driver - without an english speaking guide. I was with 4 people from eastern europe and a Japanese who all can't speak or understand a single arabic, so I turned out to be the mediator/translator between the driver and the group - explaining whatever the driver says - where we're heading, where's the next one, waiting time on each stop, blah, blah, blah...and I paid full! And I got a little irked by one of the person in the group who said that she was already confused with the entry tickets at the Palmyra when I was trying to explain what the driver was saying - though of course I cannot completely understand his arabic - but I was just doing a good samaritan job!!! I could have just say hey, you'd better be thankful at least one of us can communicate with the driver, otherwise we'll all end up in a guessing game!

Anyhoo, I was so cool and well, brought up with miles and miles of patience esp. with queenbees.

I would recommend the hotel for its good location, friendly staff, clean building and room and inexpensive rate.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Backpacking, Photography
  • Written November 24, 2010

Single Room

• graeme83 profile photo graeme83
  • Reviews: 403

Riad Hotel: Riad Hotel

Great option right in the centre of town - about 50metres from the Clock Tower. The owner wa very friendly and spoke great English. He offered a free tea to me on arrival. As well as the free tea he gave me a basic English to Arabic card which had a map of Hama on the back.

The room I stayed in had an en-suite working toilet/shower, double bed, ceiling fan and satellite TV for about 4 or 5 euro.

The hotel is also able to arrange tours to other places in Syria. I arranged one to visit Masyaf Castle and Krak des Chevaliers. The driver was even able to drop me off in Homs on the way back saving me a couple of hours on the journey down to Damascus.

• Written January 18, 2009

• JohnniOmani profile photo JohnniOmani
  • Reviews: 552

Riad Hotel: Fantastic Option

This great place has satellite tv, extremely clean rooms and great beds and most of them have private bathrooms :) Some rooms even have balconies onto the street with seats so you can watch the world go by in the morning. The guest room is a great place to meet travellers and the staff are absolutely wonderful, they speak fluent English and they are extremely friendly and knowledgeable. Great place!

The staff and friendly meeting room.

• Written October 5, 2007

• MadKiwiBeast profile photo MadKiwiBeast
  • Reviews: 42

Riad Hotel: Riad - best budget option in Syria

Arrived without booking and discovered they were all full so hesitantly took a mattress on the terrace for US$2.50. Turned out to be a great option, bathroom right there, not too hot, plenty of space. It has a roof so you don't get rained on. Abdullah, who works here, and Cookie (in the picture) are entertainment in themselves, really enjoyed it here, been here bout a week I think and will come back again. From what I've seen of the rooms they are fantastic and great value.

Very handy to everything, hot water, kitchen!!! internet and bird.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written April 30, 2007
Tip Photo

Cookie trying to steal my eyebrow ring

• kentishgirl profile photo kentishgirl
  • Reviews: 1390

Cairo Hotel - In Hamah!: Cheap Friendly Hotel

Okay, this place is a budget hotel, but I must admit that its one of the nicest hotels we have stayed in. Located on a central street near cafes and shops.

Our room was spacious and clean and had a bathroom with a bath in it!!
The guys who worked in the hotel were really helpful and friendly and arranged for us a taxi down to Crac Des Chevaliers with some others who wanted to go - this meant that it worked out cheap for all of us!

I dont remember this place including breakfast, but I do remember that I was impressed and would stay there again.

• Related to: Arts and Culture, Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written January 12, 2007

Outside the Cairo Hotel

• triplehelix profile photo triplehelix
  • Reviews: 200

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Riad Hotel: Best Budget Option!

I met Mr. Riad's son at the bus station. At first, I was affraid he was another tout waiting to take my stuff and charge me for it. He was very clean cut and spoke English very well. I asked for Cairo Hotel at first but he said they neighbor Cairo and he'd give me a better price if I went with them. That he did! I paid about $6.50 a night. This was the best price I paid in all of Syria.

The staff is very friendly and will help you with anything you need. Mr. Riad's daughter also speaks English very well and works the reception desk. When you're arranging for a driver, ask to speak with Abdullah. Abdullah has a convincing British accent and is in charge of arranging trips. More often than not, you'll find yourself talking to him for the heck of it!

Riad Hotel is situated near the clock tower in Hama. Right around back, you can use the Internet cafe (Although I almost died of second-hand smoke!!!!). They offer some of the cheapest usage although service can be slow at times (15SYP per 30 minutes). Rooms at Riad are basic but very clean. Rooms come with private bathroom, basic tv, ceiling fan, and a comfortable bed. This is all you really need considering you'll be out and about all day.

The lobby area is a good meeting place to find fellow travelers. You may want to make a date with them to do a day trip. They also have soft drinks, water, and juices for sale in the lobby fridge. Price doesn't include breakfast (hardboiled egg and bread with tea or coffee) but who cares since you'll be sick of it anyway.

Riad has a range of tours that they offer. Keep in mind these are only arranged drives, not tours. It's best to arrange it with other travelers or ask Abdullah if there are any tours with other riders. The most popular tours are to Krak des Chevaliers and Apamea.

• Related to: Study Abroad, Budget Travel
  • Written November 16, 2006

Room 35

• atufft profile photo atufft
  • Reviews: 3020

Hamah Tower Hotel: Great Views and Right Across from Noria Park

The 2nd Ed of the Lonely Planet has a short list of what's really available, and I was so sick that I really don't know how my wife settled on this room. But, she did as well as I had on all the other stays in the country. The room was plain, but new and clean, and had a great panoramic view of the city. The price was midrange, and apparently still finishing construction on some rooms. My wife found a travel agency to get directions pharmacy. At the pharmacy, someone spoke good English, and directed her to a late night place to get decent food to go. In any case, Hama Tower is a good choice.

I was sick, so I can't recall a lot, but I don't think the hotel had a pool or any extra things like that. I don't remember trying to ask if the hotel roof would become a restaurant, open to public views of the city, or what. One thing that is clear, it was only a block or so from the Karnak Bus station. This is a 3 star hotel.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Budget Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written March 27, 2006

Noria Park view from Hama Tower Hotel

• RblWthACoz profile photo RblWthACoz
  • Reviews: 650

Riad Hotel: Another great location hotel

There's a few things I enjoy having in a hotel when I am in a far corner of the world: hot water, clean rooms, good view, toilet paper (the real kind, not tissue paper), and a cool staff. Lucky for me I got all that at this hotel. Located centrally to the things you will want to see in Hama, it's a good spot. If you're lucky you'll meet Abdullah (hopefully that's how his name is spelled) and get to hear his Australian accented English which he somehow picked up without ever visiting the country.

• Written March 27, 2006

• Neilzonwheelz profile photo Neilzonwheelz
  • Reviews: 42

Riad Hotel: Budget Quality Hotel

I enjoyed my stay here, nice clean room & shower, clean sheets & comfortable bed. Helpful manager who runs tours or provides free advice. Would stay here again, situated in the heart of the town.

• Related to: Backpacking, Singles, Budget Travel
  • Written February 23, 2006

Bedroom

• photonina profile photo photonina
  • Reviews: 35

Riad Hotel: riad hotel

I had single room with shower and TV there. that was the only place I had TV in the room.. I found some movie chanel there (hollywood staff) in english (!) with arabic subtitles.... /but to tell you the truth I turned the TV off really very soon.. common in Syria for just wto weeks.. I did not need it there really!!! :))
anyway, anyway, they had TV and also they had good heating ( and that was really important for me as it was quite cold night time in December there).
there is another hotel, right becide Riad Hotel, it's name is Cairo Hotel. some ppl told me later Cairo is better. well, anyway, I was quite happy with Riad... and actually I dont know what exactly those ppl meant by "better".
In Riad they are arrangeing tours to Krak and to Palmyra (to Palmyra via desert).

it's good and clean.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Family Travel, Backpacking, Study Abroad
  • Written January 3, 2006

• MalenaN profile photo MalenaN
  • Reviews: 4938

Cairo Hotel

This is the best hotel I slept at for 6 dollars.
Cairo Hotel is a clean and friendly hotel. The rooms have TV, fridge and bathroom, with hot showers.
You can have breakfast here (not included in the price), read or write in the books with traveller's tips and go on daytrips. Cairo Hotel makes daytrips to Krak de Chevalier (with a stop at the crusader castle at Musyaf).
I paid 300 SP for a room.

• Written March 20, 2005

Tour from Cairo Hotel

• Sambawalk profile photo Sambawalk
  • Reviews: 1601

Raid Hotel: Raid Hotel

I stayed in Raid Hotel, which is supposedingly equally as good as its competitior Cario Hotel. The room is clean and there is a nice dining hall which you may stay here and eat your own food, who cares!. I paid 300SR for a single room with attached bathroom.

The manager, Mr. Abdullah speaks fluent English and has been very helpful. Although they made mistake by putting me into another day tour that I did not plan to go, they only charged me 50% of the tour, which I think is reasonable as I did visit 50% of the places that I wanted to go PLUS bonus - dead cities (that I did not plan to go).

It is spotless clean and someone makes up the bed everyday, so better locked up your luggage.

• Written November 21, 2004
Tip Photo

• nicemason profile photo nicemason
  • Reviews: 17

Norias Hotel: The best price/ quality hotel

Pleasant stay. The owner/ Manager speaks good English with friendly staff. Clean Rooms, good location.. It is 3 Stars and the price was not bad when compared to Afamia hotel (4 Stars but 3-4 times as much price)

You can negotiate the rate with the owner.

Good location
Resonably priced.

• Written September 6, 2004
Tip Photo

• aqazi profile photo aqazi
  • Reviews: 311

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Riad: The best hostel in the Middle East, probably...

This is perhaps one of the best hostels I have ever stayed in ever. And think I have stayed in over a hundred different hostels. The place was clean and well located, the staff were very freindly. As with most places in Syria the sort of travellers that you meet tend to be very freindly so entainment in the evenings tends to take its course.

They do loads of excursions, I met this German guy and we went on a full day trip around the area in some antique car. It was a surreal experience!

• Written April 18, 2004
Tip Photo

The only way to travel...

• yoshimi profile photo yoshimi
  • Reviews: 91

The Cairo hotel in Hama is...

The Cairo hotel in Hama is really a VERY good hotel.
Double with bathtub (ask for room 20!): 475 Pounds (it's around 9US$), breakfast: 75 Pounds (1.5 Pounds), we did a day trip to Apamea, Crac des Chevaliers and to some castles for 1950 Pounds/taxi (39US$)... so it's better to 3 or 4 persons.

Cheap, very clean, helpful staff, organize daytrips around Hama.

• Written September 7, 2002