Sh Quwatly Street, Hamah, Syria

• siaki68's Profile Photo

An excellent hotel

This is one of the best three-star hotels in Syria. Rooms are comfortable, very clean and all have satellite TV, fridge and air-condition. The staff and the owner are very friendly, they speak excellent English and they’ll make you feel like home. I really enjoyed staying there and I highly recommend it to everyone visiting Hama.!!

• Janani's Profile Photo

Clean, Smart and Friendly

I chose to stay at the Noria hotel in Hama, after reading about it on this website. Arriving in the town, on a small minibus, I planned to take a taxi to the hotel but a fellow passenger suggested I wait for the local bus which would stop in the street where most of the hotels were located. When it arrived, the driver asked the name of my hotel but when I said Noria everyone on the bus looked puzzled and, after some discussion, started suggesting names of hotels they thought I might be staying at. I was a bit surprised, as the hotel is named after the town’s most famous landmarks: its historic waterwheels and I thought I would have no trouble finding it. Eventually someone pronounced “Nawayir” whilst making a wheel movement in the air and I realised that must be the local pronunciation of the name!

I was dropped by a dimly lit covered shopping centre, halfway along which was the lift to the hotel’s first floor neat, polished reception, a real contrast to the rather shabby entrance. My room and the bathroom, although small, were similarly smart, very clean and had excellent air conditioning and one small high window.

The man running the hotel sat me down to take tea and asked what I wanted to visit, before helping me plan my next day’s sightseeing and onward train travel, then also if I planned to take dinner there. He organised a delicious vegetarian meal for me, of bread and soup followed by green beans in tomatoes with rice, as I ate a little earlier than the other guests at the hotel, I had three waiters providing exceptionally attentive service!

The hotel was well situated within easy walking distance of both sets of the famous waterwheels after which it was named

More about Hamah

Kadmous busKadmous bus

along this streetalong this street

Hotel RiadHotel Riad

Single RoomSingle Room

Travel Tips for Hamah

Street scene during Ramadan

by Sambawalk

This is what you may expect to see during the Ramadan period and when people closed their shops to go back home to break the fast. However, two hours later, the whole scene is completely different as it will be lively with lots of people until midnight.

Toilet in Azem Palace

by atufft

We found what appeared to be one of the world's oldest toilets still in use. The Azem Palace has a toilet, for use by both men and women oddly enough, over which one squats. There is a place for each foot, and one squats rather than sits. Having learned about this type of toilet elsewhere, I have since tended to squat, rather than sit over virtually any toilet for fear of making contact between my body and whatever may be on the porcelin receptical. In any case, a hose was nearby to rinse down the entire unit and make everything flow into the ceramic piping below.

unique columns

by call_me_rhia

Afamia... among the more normal colums of the cardo, the ones everyone's got used to seeing.. there are some truly peculiar and unique ones. They date back to the 2nd centura and have "unusual carved designs and (...) twisted fluting" - now this description is not my own, but I could not come up with a good one to describe them. Why are they like this? A local VTer, interested in archaeology, explained that the twistings wanted to recall the image of palm trees, from which I would guess that - in the past - would have been found in the area.

Musyaf

by iwys

Musyaf, or Masyaf, is known a the Assassins' castle. It is 40km west of Hama. There were ancient defensive structures here before the Crusaders, led by Raymond St. Gilles, captured it in 1103. They sold it to their allies, the Banu Aquid clan in 1127. It was taken over by the Ismaili Assassins in 1140. From here they launched their attacks, by stealth, against the leaders of both the Crusaders and Saladin's Ayyubid army.

The Assassins were finally defeated by the Mameluke leader, Beybars, in 1270.

The castle we see today is a combination of the work of both the Crusaders and the Assassins.

Musyaf

by MalenaN

Musyaf is a small town about 40 km west of Hama with a castle at the foothills of Jebel Ansaryya. The outer walls are well preserved and there is now a restoration work going on of the whole castle. The castle was once held by the Crusaders. In 1140 it was taken over by The Assassins.
The entrance fee is 150 SP.
I visited this castle on the way to Krak de Chevalier on a daytrip from Hama.

Comments