Qal`at al Hisn Hotels

Our Members Say

• June.b profile photo June.b
  • Reviews: 1360

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Baibers Hotel: Baibers Hotel (facilities)

I took some photos of the hotel for people who may wish to stay and wants to see pics.

I like this hotel, nice people around, quite and away from everything. Some say hotels around this area are overpriced - hmmm maybe considering local standards, but I kept on converting it to US$ and it's a lot cheaper than costs in other places. OK, the water costs twice than at stores, SYP50 against 25 (still that's only $1, and this is a hotel). The full-meal of mezze and chicken cuts with fries and bread is 400 pounds, again that's expensive compared to other local places, then again it's only $8 -- the cost of an ice cream or a fresh juice in europe.

I took all my meals at the hotel - from breakfast to dinner, it's only 2 days anyway and i still feel it's a good bargain.

And the amazing view at all the balconies facing the Krak is truly breath-taking. Worth it!

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Castles and Palaces, Historical Travel, Backpacking
  • Written November 28, 2010
Tip Photo

Balcony of the restaurant

• June.b profile photo June.b
  • Reviews: 1360

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Beibars Hotel: Best view of the castle while lying down in bed!

I've checked the location of this hotel on google map before I came to Qal'at AlHusn, though I know it's not on the town centre, in fact it's even after the Krak on top or edge of the hill adjacent to the castle.

The microbus from Homs bus station dropped the people going to the castle right in front of the castle -- good! But since I intend to stay in the area, I didn't get inside the castle instead I took a hike up the winding road at the back of the castle. There was a small boy abou 9 y/o walking up and i asked if the building that we can see on the other side of the hill is a "funduq" (hotel), he sad yes, so I immediately presumed that that is the hotel I was looking for. He even said that he can walk me through to the place since he's going that way, I said later, as I was taking shots of the huge castle in front of me.

I walked up until I saw a 2 or 3 storey reataurant (or maybe hotel too) where 2 big tourist buses stopped and the passengers alight. I passed by them until there are several houses and kids playing football on a large pavement. I asked a girl cleaning their backyard where the Beibars hotel is, and she told me the way. I turned right on the small road leading to maybe the biggest and nicest house in the area, passed by it and few more houses and a great view of the town on my left and at the end of the road on the right is the hotel a bit below the edge of the hill.

The lobby serves as display for souvenir items on sale. The room is, yes, a bit rundown with some of the wall paints starting to peel off - but I'm not seeing that when I opened the door of my room --- what I saw and my eyes got fixed on is the view of the Krak Des Chevaliers right in front of me on the balcony, with the partially opened sliding glass doors while the curtains flapping from the wind ouside. The view is there while standing, while sitting, while lying down on the bed! ..when waking up the following morning, how the hell should I care about the wall?

Two beds for me, a small TV - no programs that interests me, the curtain being blown by the wind, a balcony overlooking one of the greatest view I've seen and the restaurant's balcony just below with those fuschia-coloured bougainville flowers. The shower/toilet is ok.

Yeah, the downside -- no stores around to buy anything, no restaurants other than hotel's, meaning you'll have to eat at the hotel -- which by the way is what I already got prepared for. The food at the hotel is delicious - mezzes + bread + fries + chicken + cola = SYP400 or $8.70, so filling that I didn't even eat the chicken during the buffet dinner at night with all the mezzes and veg. salad. The staff are friendly and nice people, esp. the boy who's serving during the day at the restaurant, might be the son or relative of the owner. A walk from the hotel to the Krak is about 15min. to half an hour depends on your speed. Although, some vehicle passing by sometimes would offer you a free ride and drop you to the castle entrance - I had it once.

Probably the best view in the area, so I highly recommend this hotel.

I paid $$31.50 for a single-occupancy room, breakfast included. Local tourists are discounted at $20 for the same room.

Nice staff, good food and the best view of the Krak

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Backpacking, Historical Travel, Castles and Palaces
  • Written November 28, 2010
Tip Photo

view from the hotel's restaurant

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful