Mavi Surmeli

adana kebapadana kebap

seyhanseyhan

From Adana to Aleppo

by Johnpeach1

I am staying in Turkey and wish to travel from Adana to Aleppo (and then to Damascus). What is the best way to get to Aleppo from Adana? How long does it take?

RE: From Adana to Aleppo

by midnight_mike

I just made that trip. Take a bus from Adana to Antakya/Hatay, then either a bus or a service taxi. I recommend a service taxi. Check my pages out...

by Johnpeach1

Thanks for the answer. How easy is it to get a service taxi? Will it wait at the border and take me all the way to Aleppo, or will I need to get another one?

Cheers

John

by midnight_mike

Service taxis are somewhere in the center of Hatay/Antakya. I don't have an address... I would ask the bus driver or someone at the bus station. Yes, the service taxi driver will wait for you at the border. Actually, the driver will do a lot of work at the border as far as talking to the guards... it is better that he deals with the border patrol instead of you trying to do it on your own. Just make sure that you do not pay until you get to Aleppo. I paid 35 turkish lira for two people...

by midnight_mike

I don't know how long you will have to wait for a service taxi. When you arrive in town, you should make arrangements right away. They don't leave until they are full. There were only three passengers when I went there and it was a really nice, new minivan. What happened was that we were taking a taxi to St. Peters church and somehow the taxi driver asked us if we needed a service taxi to Aleppo. He then made a phone call and hooked us up with the driver that took us there. I'm sure he got his cut, but it was a fair price. At least I thought it was.

by Sirvictor

Dear Mike, The Turkish for service taxi is "Dolmusch".Thefore our friend must ask for a Dolmusch not for a service taxi. If he says service taxi no body will understand. It is also Dolmusch in Syria. Dolmusch means in English "already filled" It starts travel whenn every sit is reserved and full. If you are in hurry you can hire all the sits.then the taxi starts going.

Travel Tips for Adana

Toilets

by looseelectron

Not really a favorite thing, but to find public toilets in Turkey is still a problem. Although the hotels have improved their standards, in little restaurants you will be shocked once in a while.
A Tip: All mosques have public toilets (in Türkish "Tuvalet"). "Bay" is man; "Bayan" means lady.
There is also a small fee for the use of toilet.

Saimbeyli Cherry

by traveloturc

Saimbeyli is a small village in the Adana Region
This is a little village with huge sycamore trees watered by the springs which splash down the mountain slopes. Small platforms have been set up in the trees and they make delightful picnic area. The Çatak highland with its rich springs provides all of the water supply of the Saimbeyli district. This area is very famous with the cherry and they use also to organize festival of Cherry.

Karatepe National Park

by traveloturc

Karatepe National Park is the NeoHittite site where you will find the remains of the summer residence of King Asitawada, tablets of Hittite and Phoenician inscriptions, and an open air museum holding many remnants.
Excavations were carried out at the site of a Late Hittites city in Karatepe. The walls and gates to the city were uncovered. The inscribed orthostats and bas-reliefs along the length of the inner walls were left in place and restored. A roof supported by concrete columns is built over the works. Thus the Open Air Museum was established.
The dark colored basalt bas-relief depicts scenes of feasts, musicians, a bull being led away, the God of Storm, and various palace activities. There is Hittite hieroglyphic writing on the stones. The castle measures 430 m. from north to south, and 190 m. from east to west. There are remains of a wall whose breadth varies from 2-4 m., with towers at 18-20 m. intervals.

trip to Adana,Turkiye

by usacaver

"Adana Turkiye"

I enjoyed a business trip to Adana and stayed there for three months..however, due to the circumstances of my job, I was only able to see some of Adana and could not go to the places that I really wanted to see..I did enjoy the Turkish hospitality,the food was very good!.I think the best part of the trip for me was to get to know some of the local people and they were very friendly and helped me any time I needed it...I plan on returning to Adana on better terms in the fall of this year so that I can see what I missed last time! There was a lot to see and do so that has made me want to return. I did get a chance to visit a few museums that contained roman ruins and there is alot of history that I was not aware of .Also,I really liked the Turkish music that I encountered in a turkish tea shop {in Adana}..... BUYING THINGS.......most items for sale were very reasonable, price wise. carpets,knives, and different Turkish made items...be prepared to stay awhile if you go into a shop, most of the time ,the owners will offer some great tasting tea and want you to stay and chat while viewing what they have to sell..this was very different than the states ,I never felt uncomfotable so it is a good experience and a good time even if you don't buy anything! It was amazing to me that the Turkish people have very good memories and can remember your name and what you say to them , even if you don't see them for weeks ,or even months...I wish I can remember as good as they do!!!Once again, I really enjoyed the culture and the interesting lifestyles they live. I recommend going to the town near the mediterranian, Mercin.. I was not able to go but some of the people I knew said that it was very interesting.And go see "castle by the sea I think it is only about 30 or 40 minutes drive from Adana. The bus system is usually crowded but it is cheap to get around {if you can understand Turkish!} it cost around 500,000 Turkish lira to 750,000 to ride a dulmus or small bus.{ at the time I was there, it was 1,600,000 {one million,six hundred thousand T lira to one us dollar} . I have learned that it is currently about 1.4 million T.lira to one us dollar so the us dollar has dropped a little.

Trip back in time

by looseelectron

"Yilanlikale Castle "Snake Castle""

From Adana to Iskenderun on the right side of the road, we came upon the impressive ruins of the Yilanlikale Castle, atop a rocky peak that dominates the Ceyhan River. This was an impressive view, it did not seem real on the landscape.
A note: we found small sea shells scatered around the inside and outside on the site.

Almost there...There was no fee to tour the castle, and at the parking area was a nice little cafe with a view at the base. Not recommended to tour unless you have the appropriate shoes, (boots)there is quite a bit of climbing. No saftey devices installed, for example handrails.

The summit from the castle was breathtaking. I came back many times with friends.

Comments