WHERE TO VISIT, OUTSIDE THE...
WHERE TO VISIT, OUTSIDE THE CITY
Twenty-five kilometers to the south of Ankara on the Konya road is Golbasi Lake, a popular place to visit for the attractive scenery and the fine restaurants on the lakeside. A favorite place for picnics is Karagol Lake, 68 km north of the city on the airport road, for which one should take the turn off for the town of Cubuk. The three dams around the city, Cubuk (15 km on the Cankiri Highway), Kurtbogazi (50 km on the Islanbul Highway) and Bayindir (15 km on the Kirkkale Highway) are pleasant places to visit for swimming and picnicking. There are also restaurants, and at Bayindir, good camping facilities.
Walkers will delight in exploring the three main forests around Ankara. South of the city, on the Kirsehir Highway (54 km), is the Beynam Forest; while to the north, on the Islanbul Highway (82 km), is the Kizilcahamam Soguksu National Park and further, in the same direction (110 km), is the Camkoru Forest. All are delightful retreats from the clamor of the city, and each provides many lovely places for picnics. Elmadag Mountain (1855 meters) Some twenty three kilometers from Ankara, Elmadag Mountain can be seen from most parts of the city. The first snowfall on the mountain heralds the start of winter and the beginning of skiing and wintersports at the pleasant resort center to be found here.
Those with an interest in the history of the region will find a visit to Yassihoyuk (Gordion) (105 km), past Polatli on the Eskisehir highway, and Gavurkalesi (60 km/, on the Haymana Highway near to Derekoy, interesting and easily made. Gordion, a Phrygian capital, site of the Gordion Knot (the key to Asia), is today of interest for the tumulus of King Midas, of the Golden Touch and the asses ears. The remains of the old city, still being excavated can be seen; and there is a small, pleasant museum. At Gavurkalesi, there can be seen the remains of an open-air Hittite temple, a tomb, and two reliefs of Hittite gods.
In the province of Ankara there are four thermal centers: Kizilcahamam Kaplica (80 km), Haymana Kaplica (72 km), Ayas Kaplica (57 km), and Dutlu Kaplica (85 km). All offer comfortable facilities in which to soak away one's cares. The thermal baths have beneficial properties and are, of course, altogether pleasurable.
Havas airport shuttle bus
Cheap and frequent, buses run every half hour between 03.30a.m. and 21.30p.m.
Between 21.30p.m. and 03.30a.m. buses according to flight departures.
Current cost April 2007 is 10YTL and takes about 35 minutes.
Drop offs at Cubuk intersection,Pursaklar,Haskoy,Aydinlikevler,Kecioren bridge and Etlik intersection on the way to the city centre,Havas city centre office at Ulus,19 Mayis stadium, B gate.
For Asti coach station check their web page listed below.
Ulus, centered on Ulus Meydani (Ulus Square) at the intersection of Ataturk Bulvari/Cankiri Cad and Cumhuriyet Cad/Anafartalar Cad is the early Republic core of the city. Most of the early Republican commercial and govnermental buildings, plus a few buildings from the very late Ottoman period, are in this area. The buildings here are very representative of the two primary styles of early Republican architecture: neo-Ottoman builkdings common through the 20s and the subsequent style, taking over in the late 20s through the 40s, of modernist, Austro-German influenced buildings that I find hard to classify as any style other than "Early Turkish Republican." These buildings are generally modernist with a lot of art-deco influence, yet combining elements of simplified neo-classical and even Bauhaus.
Great examples of the early Republican buildings here include the Turkiye Is Bankasi, the Ankara Palas, Sumer Bank, the State Opera House. It also includes the late Ottoman building that functioned as the first parliament building and which is now the War of Independence Museum.
Several of these buildings are at Ulus Meydani itself, the large intersection with the square that includes the large equestrian monument to Ataturk as well as the Mehmetcik (Turkish soldier) and the men and women who fought in the War of Independence.
Museum of Anatolian Civilication
The flat marble idols of Kültepe depicting the mother goddess, is a unique group. The two-headed example, and the Alacahöyük twin idols, prove the persistence of the type, with the Catalhöyük figurine as the earliest example.
Independence War Museum
Open everyday, except Monday, from 09:00 to 17:00 (closed between 12:00-13:00)
Construction of the building started in 1915, at which time it was to be used as the meeting hall of İttihat and Terakki (Union and Progress) Party. The party was founded in opposition to the Ottoman Sultan, and this building played an important role during the establishment of the young Turkish Republic; the first National Assembly was held here on April 23, 1920. This two story stone building was built in the Turkish architectural style and the andesine used is called Ankara Stone.
Emptied when the National Assembly moved to its new home in 1924, this building was subsequently used as the headquarters of the Party and Law School. It was converted into the Turkish Independence War museum in 1961, and here you can find many documents, photos, medals and private objects.