Crowne Plaza Hotel Antalya

See Amenities

Nice hotel... Bad service :-(

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 4, 2010

I stayed in Crowne Plaza Antalya in the period from 28th of Jul until 1st of Aug 2010 with my wife and three kids, it was one of the worst experiences I ever had in a 5 stars hotel. Here are some of the comments I have:

My reservation was delayed for two days without any prior notification, I was informed only one day before my departure.
On check in I could not manage to get to rooms near each others for me and my children, and what is worse is theta receptionist had a very strange difference that it's not his problem since I didn't request this during my reservation (that was already delayed by the hotel management).
After two days they offered to change my two double rooms with one suite and add extra beds to accommodate my children, since I need to stay to my 6 years old daughter I had to accept. Of course they didn't accept to pay me any difference.
Don't expect anyone to smile to you in this hotel, everybody is nervous and ready to fight you back (I think they are mistreated or not well-paid).
Room service is bad, it took them about 45 minutes to send me two bottles of water.
House keeping is worse than some 3 stars hotel I stayed in, some times they don't come until you call them and they leave the room worse than it's initial condition, actually the last time the room became smelly after it was cleaned.
All three showers were not working when I checked into the, so called, suite, the maintenance guy fixed them leaving the bathroom very dirty and no need to say that he didn't send house keeping to clean them.
On the beach while swimming with my wife the CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT) requested me to take my clothes off the chair because he wants to fold it TIME IS OVER, I too him it didn't reach 8 PM yet but he said that his duty is finishes and he has to leave.
During breakfast and dinner it's highly advised not to request anything from the waiters and if you did you should expect late, not welcomed service, once I had to beg for a cup of coffee and then I had to beg for the receipt that didn't come to find out that is was invoiced on another room. Once the waiter was shouting on another customer OUT... OUT DONT TAKE YOUR DINNER HERE GO OUT????!!!!
The worst was on check out when we found that many of us were invoiced with services they didn't request, after long discussion the only way out of this situation was to pay the amount requested without any discussion, although they couldn't find any signed slip for these services and the only slip found was signed by another name and dated prior to our check in date.
When I complained about this to the receptionist he replied that he has already solved his problem by getting the money, and if I want to solve mine I have to talk to them (don't ask who are these, them).
Talking to the shift manager he handed me that business card of someone saying this is the card of our operations manager and you can complaint to him if you want.

In brief the hotel is very good as a building but don't get in touch with people at all or you will regret it.

Unique Quality: Nice pool for both indoor and outdoor pools.
Beach is average since it's not sandy beach.
Meals are average especially compared to Turkish great food.
Service and staff are awful.

5 star building with 0 star staff and management

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 12, 2010

The Crowne Plaza hotel in Antalya is a beautiful modern building with large public areas. The rooms are spacious with excellent air-conditioning, well appointed bathrooms and have excellent and very comfortable beds. That’s the good news. Now for the bad news, and sadly there is plenty ...........

The TV has about 30 channels but only CNN and BBC World in English. There are plenty of Turkish, German and Russian channels though. Apparently, hotel movie channels have not yet made it to this hotel. There was not one piece of printed information in the room about services or prices apart from the spa and massage services. When I asked for some, I was told it was all being re-printed but they did not offer any verbal information. So we remained in the dark.

The hotel, and the swimming pool area, backs onto a very busy, very noisy 6 lane highway and is flanked by an open drain on one side and a vacant lot on the other side which is currently used as a truck park. It is entertaining to see drivers relieving themselves when you are 5 floors up. In fact, given the lack of English on the TV, it is sometimes the only entertainment!

It is a £10 cab ride into Antalya town.

The “beach” at this point on the bay is a mix of boulders and shingle and tiny pebbles that get inside your sandals and irritate the hell out of you! There isn’t a grain of sand in sight.

The main a la carte restaurant on the 10th floor of the hotel was closed for the duration of our stay with no reason given and the only place to eat was the hotel buffet. This was jointly presided over by a “manager” who probably did his training, if any at all, in a prison and a “head chef” who just stood and glared at customers and was vaguely reminiscent of Mungo, the John Cleese psychotic chef character in the Monty Python sketch. (For those of you too young to have seen this, or so old that you’ve forgotten it - go and find it on YouTube – you will enjoy it)

Our first encounter with the restaurant manager happened within one hour of arriving. We were booked in for 10 days “half board” and arrived around 9.30 pm with the buffet open. We duly ate and at the end I was presented with a bill for £30. I explained to the manager that we did not need to pay but he was insistent that the buffet was a “private” one for some guests and that as we were not in that party we had to pay. In the end I signed the bill and wrote on it that I had no intention of paying for it. That was Round 1!

The next encounter was at breakfast when the buffet managed to simultaneously run out of crockery, cutlery, coffee, milk and orange juice – pretty impressive. I pointed this out to the head chef and got the “evil eye” in return, but still no breakfast.

Over the holiday there were countless occasions of food selections running out and not being refreshed and on 2 nights there was no food in the buffet that was edible, so we ended up eating crisps and nuts in our room which we had bought from the local garage. Oh by the way, we broke hotel “rules” in doing so as the first sign which greets you as you enter this 5 star mad house is one saying “no food or drinks to be brought into the hotel”

The buffet was a disaster but the thing which totally ruined this stay was the attitude of the staff who looked after the pool area. At 10 am they regularly turned on the sound system which pumped out a mix of acid, house, garage and rap music at volume levels which would drown out a landing jumbo jet. Now given that the average age of guests around the pool area was 50+ and the average age of the staff was about 18, it isn’t too difficult to guess who wanted the music on. I got the attention of a supervisor who could actually speak English, (OK my Turkish wasn’t too good!), and asked that the music was turned off. She said that other guests had requested the music was turned on – however, as the only other guests at that time were a German couple who also complained about the music, it wasn’t too difficult to come to the conclusion that lying to guests came naturally to this individual. I complained to the Desk Manager about the lying and the noise and he did get the music turned off. However, every day the music was turned on at full volume and every day we had the same arguments with the same people with the same result. It felt more like a battle zone than a relaxing holiday in a 5 star hotel.

We repeatedly tried to escalate our complaints but never achieved anything effective as the response was always “the Hotel Manager doesn’t speak English”. We did get introduced on our last day there to the woman who managed the spa and massage centre as she did speak English. She took copious notes and accepted that there were major deficiencies in the Food & Beverage department. She promised to escalate our complaints to the hotel management team but we have been back home a week and not heard a thing yet. Why am I not surprised!

We got so fed up with the place that we managed to get on a return flight a day earlier and that was the highlight of our stay here – despite having prepaid. A lost day was a price well worth paying to maintain our sanity!

We had originally booked the Ramada Plaza in the centre of Antalya but it turned out that the building wasn’t completed so we transferred to the Crowne Plaza. In hindsight, 10 days on a building site would have been preferable.

We booked the Crowne Plaza on the basis of the reputation of the brand and previous stays at other Crowne Plaza establishments. We wanted a relaxing 5 star break after a hectic but fantastic stay in Istanbul. Big mistake. The only thing this hotel has in common with the Crowne Plaza brand is the name. It is run by staff for the benefit of staff. Guests are an irritation who get in the way of the staff spending the day the way they want it.

If you enjoy having a daily argument with people who seem to devote their existence to screwing up your holiday, relish the sound of a disco at 10 am at 100 decibels around the pool and enjoy wondering if there will be any food that you will be able to eat - food you have already paid for, then this is the place for you.

For anyone else, I recommend you avoid this hotel like the plague.

ddilips Feb 16, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Oh Dear... We have booked into this Hotel from 22nd July for 7 nights. The above reviews has made us think twice now. We will be speaking to our agents and try to negotiate another hotel.

Nearby Crowne Plaza Hotel Antalya

• Business Services
  • Suites
  • Free High Speed Internet

Antalya Travel Forum

Need advice about Antalya, Turkey? Visit the Travel Forum for Antalya and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Antalya hotel reviews

Hear and See Hand Crafted Musical Instruments
Short info about Antalya
We have finally "found" the Old Town
Things to Do
tudors pub, not for modern women
A Hidden Mountain City
Alaaddin Mosque
Hadrian's Gate
Antalya Centrum to Otogar by Tram
Transportation
Antalya Airport to Otogar by Antobus.
Istanbul to Antalya via OnurAir